ADVERTISEMENT

Does the State of Oklahoma have an inferiority complex?

parlayn_poke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2007
Seems like every time a poll comes out about things like this whether it be which states are the prettiest, which are the dumbest, which are the best to visit... It actually shows up in the news both good and bad opinion. Just like when Barkley makes comments about OKC... Everything freaks out and you have Kelly Ogle giving his two cents. I've only lived in 4 states and Oklahoma is my home (and I'm proud of that), but I doubt something like this would be given a second thought anywhere else I've lived. Some of the Facebook comments are pretty good, btw.

KFOR Story

Well, yes and no.

There's not a lot in Oklahoma to hold onto. That's why you have college football fans ripping off but sacks of rival team fans. When you got nothin else, you get the self worth from other things. A football team. Your significant other. Your job. Your state. You begin to associate yourself with those things and can no longer separate. So polls like this matter to you.

In other states, there's a lot more going on. A lot more diversity.

That being said, Oklahoma truly is a special place. People care about the little things. They care about people. They help. It's one good association for people. Pride in being good people. Selfless and caring and humble.

It begets a sense of loyalty and patriotism that you don't get in places like the northeast.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

A little but it is overblown because of the click baiting the local news stations do. The average person couldn't care less about stuff like this.

"OKC also received high marks for having excellent drivers."

If driving extremely slow is a qualification for this then they should have. That was the first thing that stuck out to me when I moved there and I don't consider myself to have much of a heavy foot. Driving in Dallas vs. OKC feels like being on the Autobahn.

This post was edited on 12/2 11:24 AM by nathajw

Originally posted by nathajw:
"OKC also received high marks for having excellent drivers."

If driving extremely slow is a qualification for this then they should have. That was the first thing that stuck out to me when I moved there and I don't consider myself to have much of a heavy foot. Driving in Dallas vs. OKC feels like being on the Autobahn.

This post was edited on 12/2 11:24 AM by nathajw
I'd liken it more to hitting against major league pitching then getting to spend a week in AA. It's nice to sit on the fastball and rip it into the gap at will.

Grew up in Oklahoma, and went to school at OSU. Moved to Texas afterward. Have been here ~10 years.

The tension literally melts away when I drive north over the Red River.

I'd say go ahead and cherish the peaceful slice of God's green earth you're blessed to inhabit.

I think we are blessed in this state. We have some nice scenery and 4 seasons. Cost of living is pretty low, play your cards right and you can have a home on 5 acres with toys.

And I will say this....the women in Oklahoma are top notch. I have been around the country, and whatever mix we have here is a good one. When I was in Michigan, I couldn't get over all the big raw boned gals I ran into. My wife is a classic Okie gal, 5 feet tall, 100 pounds and dark features. At least that's my definition of an Okie gal. I'm sure you fellas have a different idea. I've always dug the shorties, so tall gals were never my thing.

We also have our share of Walmart scooter drivers too lol.

I'm married and old now, so the regional female characteristics don't mean as much to me, but I will stand by what I say, we have good "scenery" here and with the cost of living, it's a cheap date :)

There, that's my bullish, sexist opinion, fire away...

Originally posted by ThePokewithNoName:
San Antonio freaks out when Barkley downgrades them too.

I blame it on the Mexicans.
If I recall correctly, that was some local shock jock trying to get Barkley to kick his ass on tape... No clue whether it was discussed in the news prior. I suppose it might have been.

Originally posted by squeak:
If you don't like Oklahoma you can eat shit. Stay the f out.
I think we found at least one that does...

I'm not sure if the state of Oklahoma has an inferiority complex or not, but I definitely knew way too many people from Oklahoma that pretty much wanted to be Texans and couldn't wait to get down to Dallas or wherever as soon as they left Stillwater. A few have come back, but way too many happy to be Texans now.

Originally posted by OSUDirt:
I'm not sure if the state of Oklahoma has an inferiority complex or not, but I definitely knew way too many people from Oklahoma that pretty much wanted to be Texans and couldn't wait to get down to Dallas or wherever as soon as they left Stillwater. A few have come back, but way too many happy to be Texans now.
Only difference between Texas and Oklahoma is about a 20% to 30% difference in cost of living and about 10 million assholes.

Originally posted by squeak:
Parlayn did you eat it?
Umm no... I love Oklahoma. It's my home and always will be as indicated by my original post. Trying to figure why you allowed this post to troll you to the max... My only explanation is that you are the type of person that allows KFOR and others to make a quasi news story out of every meaningless "poll" or "survey" that comes out.

If Texas was its own country it would have a top 15 GDP in the entire world. The state's growth and opportunity is one of many reasons Oklahomans move there. It's that or Oklahoma's embarrassing liquor laws. In all seriousness, you can't fault someone for moving somewhere just a few hours away to make a better living for themself.

This post was edited on 12/5 2:49 PM by nathajw

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT