ADVERTISEMENT

Do you believe reparations is a good thing?

Yes if government destroys your home or business by action they took that was deemed in error by court and has timely basis.
No if for activity that at the time was acceptable but over time was not and fought a war to end so that now people who make good choices have the chance to make their own destiny.

No.

It was already done to some extent after the Civil War and offered to the people directly affected.

Even if you discount that how do you figure out who is legitimately owed what by whom?

If you try to answer that you will come to 1 of 2 conclusions...or maybe both. 1. It is impossible to figure it out. 2. Everybody owes everyone else because everyone has been wronged in a major way by someone or some organization or whatever.

It is how you deal with that is what matters. You either play the victim, which is easy to common now and keeps you down or you rise above it and go forward.

BTW those that constantly play the victim have been wronged by their parents, the school system, and society in general for not being taught how to go forward and rise above it.....see it is easy to find someone who had been wronged.

Pre-1865 reparations aren't valid for any southern states as they seceded to form their own nation which was then eliminated. Much like GM doesn't owe reparations to their original shareholders following their bankruptcy and reformation, Southern states do not owe reparations following their absolution and reformation following the civil war.

I also believe reparations are a states issue and not a federal issue. States made their own laws regarding whether slavery was to be legal or abolished as detailed in the Missouri Compromise. Why should Oklahoma (for example), which wasn't even a state until 1906 owe reparations for what Virginia or Connecticut did in 1790. Why should Maine which joined the union as a free state owe any reparations at all?

I would be open to reparations where individuals could choose to return to Africa (paid by govt) and then are compensated based on wealth accumulation of the average African citizen over the time their ancestors were here.

Yes, but that's just my Osage in me talking. Reality is, no I don't believe so.

Reparations have been paid for years in the form of unfairly rewarding skin color for jobs, scholarships, college acceptance, etc...
^^^This^^^ Also, though there have been no reparations specifically for slavery, the entire "war on poverty" (more aptly called "war on self-sufficiency") is supposedly intended to help the disadvantaged in our society, whatever the source of that disadvantage might be. So the issue of reparations is moot.

By the way, how did it work out?

Reparations have been offered up in the form of the Great Society and War on Poverty. Where has that gotten us?

If we can get this legislation passed, we'll have n****** voting Democratic for the next 200 years. LBJ.

It was Dr. Walter Williams who taught me the horrors of affirmative action. For all of us who can think and are not looking for "free stuff."

Reparation's for slavery, no. Who do you charge? Who gets it? If your great, great, great grandmother was a slave, but your great, great, great, grandfather was not do you get 1/2? Do all the ancestors in between mean, any more or less if they were connected or not? What about Irish, Native Americans, or Slavs (you know where the word comes from). I guess they will need to hit up England, Portugal, and Spain as well. Don't forget the Arab states. I haven't even got into who pays and why. There are far too many variables to try to make this work. The fact that this keeps coming up is complete nonsense.

Reparation's for things that may have happened in your life time? You may convince me on an individual basis in a court of law that finds a specific incident in which you can sue a specific company or entity. Oh wait we already have that.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
The black community needs to ask their beloved Democrats why they are spending well over 3 billion dollars providing housing to illegals this year instead of spending 3 billion dollars helping the black community.

tenor.gif

Reactions: iasooner2000
Why not? We all know what’s going to happen so let’s watch the fireworks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT