ADVERTISEMENT

Dieringer v Dake

Dake might be the hardest person to score on in the world.

Same thing in match 2. Dale wins 4-2 and just nullifies everything AD tried to do. Now granted he spends most of his time circling the edge and keeping away from action. A very boring style but it’s why he won worlds last year without being scored on.

Tough to be the second best guy in the world when the #1 happens to be from your country also.

Gutted for Alex.

Dake's strategy was to outmaneuver Alex, keep him off balance and then explode and score mostly by forcing Alex out of bounds. The final score was 4 to 2 with Dake controlling. Alex did get a headlock for 4 but had been out of bounds. Tough loss. Alex got Dake out of bounds for his 2 points near the end of the match.

As a New Yorker and Dake fan, I just wanted to thank you all for being so classy!

I know the loss was disappointing; but yet, despite that heartache, every comment here has been complimentary and positively analytical instead of negative and insulting.

Ringer is a hell of a competitor and had today gone differently, I without question would have felt very confident with him representing us at the World Championships.

Last edited:
I did not get to see it. I really thought Ringer would get the best of him. Like stated before, it’s tough when you’ve got to beat the best in the world to advance. I know Alex isn’t happy, but no shame in losing a couple of tough matches to Kyle Dake.

Big question next year for Dake is if he can handle the weight cut . If he keeps his strength, agility and stamina down a weight I think he will beat Burroughs. The big question for Ringer is if Cox can come down successfully. I know Taylor is there too but I like Ringers chances against him. Everyone that I mentioned are great wrestlers and it’s too bad that all of them can’t represent the USA in Tokyo.

Reactions: cearle462
Big question next year for Dake is if he can handle the weight cut . If he keeps his strength, agility and stamina down a weight I think he will beat Burroughs. The big question for Ringer is if Cox can come down successfully. I know Taylor is there too but I like Ringers chances against him. Everyone that I mentioned are great wrestlers and it’s too bad that all of them can’t represent the USA in Tokyo.
Not a good day for Cowboy wrestling yesterday because Cormier got stopped in the 4th round in his championship match also.

Last edited:
As a New Yorker and Dake fan, I just wanted to thank you all for being so classy!

I know the loss was disappointing; but yet, despite that heartache, every comment here has been complimentary and positively analytical instead of negative and insulting.

Ringer is a hell of a competitor and had today gone differently, I without question would have felt very confident with him representing us at the World Championships.

dake reps USA with class
we root for USA

it takes an extra special turkey for us to not root for a wrestler repping red white and blue, but don’t kid yourself it can be done

thankfully the goat made that right in 88

Reactions: osu2082
I root for all USA wrestlers at Worlds and the Olympics. Even cheering for Brands when I was in Atlanta.
I agree with Mrgrapple. Dake won the spot and I want him to finish first again. I almost always cheer for the U.S. representative-Brands might be the exception. If we think Alex would have won the worlds then Dake certainly should and I believe he will.

I'm not salty because Dake won (disappointed for Alex, sure). My comment was about the 2020 Olympics.

I'm basically indifferent about Dake - stylistically, I'm not really a fan, although he's probably the best strategist I've ever seen. Everything is calculated, whether it's working the refs to avoid the shot clock (or over a tap to the face) or his requesting the Final X delay just days beforehand. Everything is planned IMO. And it works, he's a winner. Funny thing about him is I would like to see how good he might be if he was forced to start every match down 3-0.

I want Daton, JO & Alex to all win Olympic gold next year. And USA Wrestling has nailed the 2019 Worlds to the hip of the 2020 Olympics. Medalists this year will get a bye to either the OTT finals or semifinals next year, which is a tremendous advantage and the reason you're seeing some of the recent actions.
- Rob Koll said in an interview that the reason Cornell protested for Yianni was because medaling this year is a huge benefit for next year, and winning the Olympics is a life changing event.
- David Taylor withheld info on his injury and told another team (likely Zahid or Alex) to not change weights (implying Taylor was healthy and would compete). Why? Because he doesn't want Downey (or Zahid /Alex) to medal at 86 kg this year.

When the Olympic team is set I'll support everyone (even Gilman should he win the spot). Until then I'm behind the Pokes. Maybe I'll feel differently when Worlds are underway, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrgrapple
Wrassler17,
I like that post better. Dake is certainly strategic somewhat like Chris Perry was when he wrestled and how he is as a coach. Dake does seem to have the skills to wrestle aggressively, but knows his chances are stronger if he wrestles very defensively. With that he is a winner as he defeated a very strong wrestler in Ringer!

Yeah, Dake is not going to change. Why should he, it works for him.

J'den wrestles a similar style. Although he's not quite the in match tactician that Dake is, he's even more difficult to score on IMO.

Daton has similar defensive skills. All 3 of them are stingy with the ability to counter you for a takedown or exposure if you don't finish quickly.

But with international refs and passivity points, it's a risky style unless you have the offense for a 20-30 second sprint. J'den I believe has it and Dake I think has it (hard to know).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT