ADVERTISEMENT

DeSanto vs Gross

osu2082

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
Desanto took out Gross tonight and was pretty impressive in doing so. Took him down 3 times and really controlled the match.

Gross looked pretty lethargic.

Iowa is going to be a problem for everyone this year.. I just wish we could get G and Joe in the lineup and see them perform..

I really believe Iowa can win a national title this season....they're pretty stout in all 10 weights. Literally all 10 could potentially AA this season.

Cassioppi also upset #3 Hilger at HWT. His potential development into a AA is a major boost and key for there team title hopes.

Cassioppi also upset #3 Hilger at HWT. His potential development into a AA is a major boost and key for there team title hopes.

Iowa only seems to have one hole right not.. 184.. they are finalist threats at 125, 133, 149, 157, 165, 174.. I say threat meaning it might be closer for some of those guys than others.. I think at 174 Iowa can upset mark hall.. iowa has never lost to penn state at 165..

I enjoyed watching their wrestlers....one thing that's evident is their gas tank. Some of them might not be the most athletic, but they never seem to get tired. Our wrestlers would struggle with their pace.

I really believe Iowa can win a national title this season....they're pretty stout in all 10 weights. Literally all 10 could potentially AA this season.
Since we won't be beating Penn. St. this year, I pull for any team that might beat them at Nationals ( except if they wrestle Cowboys). The dislike for Penn. St, now matches my dislike for Iowa for almost 3 decades. I don't dislike Iowa near as much as I use to since they really came down to earth after Gable left. Iowa looks good so far this year.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Since we won't be beating Penn. St. this year, I pull for any team that might beat them at Nationals ( except if they wrestle Cowboys). The dislike for Penn. St, now matches my dislike for Iowa for almost 3 decades. I don't dislike Iowa near as much as I use to since they really came down to earth after Gable left. Iowa looks good so far this year.

Im going to tell on myself here... I grew up in Virginia back when the only wrestling knowledge you could get consisted of 2 magazines that I forget the name of, AWN, and the newspaper you got for having a USA wrestling card.. The only wrestling to watch was the edited NCAA tournament and maybe some freestyle at 2am.. I liked IOWA because they were the most dominate at the time and the Brand Brothers were animals.. A buddy of mine had his dad order some Iowa meets from the Iowa public television station and I got the Dan Gable VHS tape when it came out and I was hooked! When I 1st moved to OK I was an OU fan because I wrestled with Byron Tucker in High school.. Once I met my wife, who was an OSU mat maid and OSU graduate, I started going to all the OSU meets.. At this point my team is Ok State 1st, Great wrestling regardless of team a close 2nd unless they are wrestling Ok State... It seems like Penn State finally hit on a few recruits that are not going to pan out like they thought and that presents an opportunity for a changing of the guard.. While I can't pretend to understand all the animosity between OSU and Iowa past the obvious stuff and the history books, The more interviews I see of the Brands brothers these days, the more I like what they are doing in Iowa and what they want out of their athletes.. They want the same things as us, they just take a different approach.. they have also done things the right way and above board it seems.. I think Penn State is in trouble and Ok State and Iowa are about to be in position to battle for the NCAA title over the next few years (as long as our recruits pan out)

I enjoyed watching their wrestlers....one thing that's evident is their gas tank. Some of them might not be the most athletic, but they never seem to get tired. Our wrestlers would struggle with their pace.

They have some serious talent this year. Different times if the year, different scenarios and strategies plays into how teams look from time to time.

Our team had zero issues with this “pace” or gas tank last year when we wrestled.

They have some serious talent this year. Different times if the year, different scenarios and strategies plays into how teams look from time to time.

Our team had zero issues with this “pace” or gas tank last year when we wrestled.

that was last years team. I meant this year. Guys like sheets, Joe, wittake will struggle along with several of our young guys

I think Iowa will beat Penn State in the dual but Penn State will win the NCAA tournament. This will be he last year for at least a few for them to win.

It appears to me at this time the only option this year at Nationals of Saturday if Penn. St. and Iowa aren't battling for the team title will be Penn. St. has the title rapped up long before Saturday night. I am so tired of Penn. St. winning. Of course I want us to win but that is not going to happen. Is there another team that could win Nationals? I am hoping that I am alive still when we win 35. This is not a time for an asteroid to hit us with a light showing down the road for Cowboy wrestling. Us winning again would put things right wrestling wise again.

that was last years team. I meant this year. Guys like sheets, Joe, wittake will struggle along with several of our young guys

Sure Iowa is the more talented team this year. Has little to do with pace or style however. They are just more talented. This is their year to make a run.

I think we are on the brink of making a run. If this team can somehow finish inside the top 8, it will be a nice accomplishment and keep one of my bragging points alive. I believe we only have 3 finishes outside of the top 8 in 80 years. None of the other dynasties can make such a claim. Let's face it, an Olympic red shirt and an injury to Brock or this team could probably be a top 4 ish team. I hate to lower my standards, but in my mind if this team can simply improve weekly, it will be a great example for the talented teams we have coming in the next couple of years...along with one amazing man in Mr Daton Fix, we are going to have several strong recruits coming in...

Sure Iowa is the more talented team this year. Has little to do with pace or style however. They are just more talented. This is their year to make a run.

True...but pace would play a role in some matches as well IMO. Reece is going to struggle with keeping up with DaSanto...Joe will struggle with Kemerer. I question serveral of our guys gas tanks in the current lineup.

Iowa under the Brands have historically been ready to wrestle a hard 7 minutes in December. Usually by nationals, many of their wrestlers are worn out. Iowa is really good this year but let’s see what they look like in March.

Iowa under the Brands have historically been ready to wrestle a hard 7 minutes in December. Usually by nationals, many of their wrestlers are worn out. Iowa is really good this year but let’s see what they look like in March.

I've often wondered if their pace throughout the year has them gassed and subconsciously ready for a break that they KNOW is coming by Saturday in March?

Then I watch some of our guys wrestle every 3rd period gassed all year?

So who knows?

The talk about gas tanks reminds me of something John said in an interview...

David Mirikitani asked him to name some people that impacted his career. John answered that Tommy Chesbro taught him early on that skill & technique win. John said he always emphasized skill first and then conditioning. Also said he had too much pride to allow a guy to tire him out anyway. The GOAT.

I've often wondered if their pace throughout the year has them gassed and subconsciously ready for a break that they KNOW is coming by Saturday in March?

Then I watch some of our guys wrestle every 3rd period gassed all year?

So who knows?

We and others take a different approach. There are plenty of duals throughout the year where we just look sluggish only to find out later John our they through a grueling workout the day before or at times even the morning of trying to get them to learn to execute when things aren’t ideal and your body is weak.

It’s all practice until March.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
We and others take a different approach. There are plenty of duals throughout the year where we just look sluggish only to find out later John our they through a grueling workout the day before or at times even the morning of trying to get them to learn to execute when things aren’t ideal and your body is weak.

It’s all practice until March.

I knew that. I am saying it doesn't seem to always work.

I knew that. I am saying it doesn't seem to always work.

You are right one of the knocks on the Iowa staff is they peak to early and while their guys look like killers early and throughout the season they seem to slow down and hit a wall come tourney time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT