ADVERTISEMENT

Deer Creek area of McAlester?

I have hunted it. Have you hunted Mac before? I will give some info later.

I have hunted Mc about 4 yrs ago, but hunted Boggy. Not as much dense timber where I hunted there. All help/info appreciated! I've been on Goodgle earth scouting the whole area, and have a few spots in mind, but it seems like such a crap shoot. I would hate going out and climbing a tree at random... :eek:

If you have hunted mcalester before then you should realize that you are overthinking things. There are deer everywhere and most of the time you see them along the roads and closest to the commerce/ people. I swear that if someone would literally just pick a spot as close to the center of life that they would probably tag out the earliest. I, like you have hunted boggy and then Deer Creek. I tagged out on a doe in Boggy early and got my free pass back. Saw some nice bucks but no shots. It was a huge drought that year and tough conditions. I believe food sources (acorns, persimmons, etc) will play a part in your hunt (something this western stater isn't used to.

As for DC, we joined up with a group and all of us saw deer while hunting and one kid got his doe. As I mentioned earlier throw a dart and the info is as useful as mine although again, we had no trouble being close to deer. We hunted the areas in the picture parking at the curve each day. The arrow on left is a food plot that deer came to frequently. Very quiet area as far as hunters went.
5e11337b-6178-4ca3-89c1-f62273f34906_zpsn6agetij.png

This can be found just S of Highway 31 near C TREE Rd near the town of Haywood.

A quick trip report. Hunted south of the big lake, saw a few, didn't see a single buck however, and embarrassed myself by missing a doe by shooting the tree inches in front of her. Hunting in this hot weather and full moon was very hard. Out of 230 hunters, 4 does came in the Friday, 3 deer on Saturday (only one nice buck that grossed 135, but was 115 with deductions), and not sure anything was shot by the time I left on Sunday. The deer just weren't moving much. This coming weekend should be better with cooler temps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT