ADVERTISEMENT

Deepfake videos

Once deepfakes become impossible to distinguish from truth, we're all ****ed.

You aren’t wrong. But I think it’ll be awhile before anything can be edited or created that doesn’t leave a forensic trail.

I can create photorealistic photoshop composites but an analysis at the pixel level can easily show they are fake. I imagine video will be the same.

You aren’t wrong. But I think it’ll be awhile before anything can be edited or created that doesn’t leave a forensic trail.

I can create photorealistic photoshop composites but an analysis at the pixel level can easily show they are fake. I imagine video will be the same.

Sure, but how many people will have that sort of ability/patience to discern that? It'll be up to the handful of experts who can especially as the sophistication continues to grow. And I think we're in a post-expert world, as far as everyone is very wary of any kind of authority of any field, unless it fits their world view. Just in the last years, there have been climate scientists and border patrol, the experts in their field, who have been ignored by the opposing party, because it's been politically advantageous. The anti-vax movement has never been larger as another example. Imagine if a video comes out showing a politician in a negative light, and one 'expert' says it is faked and another 'expert' says it looks legit.

Reactions: Pokeabear
Sure, but how many people will have that sort of ability/patience to discern that? It'll be up to the handful of experts who can especially as the sophistication continues to grow. And I think we're in a post-expert world, as far as everyone is very wary of any kind of authority of any field, unless it fits their world view. Just in the last years, there have been climate scientists and border patrol, the experts in their field, who have been ignored by the opposing party, because it's been politically advantageous. The anti-vax movement has never been larger as another example. Imagine if a video comes out showing a politician in a negative light, and one 'expert' says it is faked and another 'expert' says it looks legit.

Eventually you are probably right. But in the here and now, I think it can be broken down by frame and definitely analyzed by LE. @CowboyJD got any insight here?

Eventually you are probably right. But in the here and now, I think it can be broken down by frame and definitely analyzed by LE. @CowboyJD got any insight here?

Not much.

First, video editing...even "deep fakes" in and of itself isn't a crime. Before LE got involved there would have to be a crime involved.

Secondly, I depend upon my LEO experts to determine what they can and cannot detect re: editing or creating. I am far from a subject matter expert on this cutting edge of technology.

Reactions: MegaPoke
In the future no video or news story will matter. The politican will scream "fake news" or "fake video" and the partisans will line up behind him or her. No matter if it is real or not.

Reactions: wyomingosualum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT