ADVERTISEMENT

Daton wins first match

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
Daton Fix received a bye and then won by 10-0 tech fall over the wrestler from Turkey at the Junior World championships.He will wrestle Dzhelip from the Ukraine in the next match shortly.

Daton Fix received a bye and then won by 10-0 tech fall over the wrestler from Turkey at the Junior World championships.He will wrestle Dzhelip from the Ukraine in the next match shortly.
Dom Demas at 65kg won first match by injury default, then lost 8-4 by an Armenian and the Armenian wrestler then lost so I guess Demas is done. Brady Berge lost by tech fall in his first match at 70kg. Aaron Brooks at 79kg has won his first two matches handily and Zach Elam at 97kg has had two tech falls.

Dom Demas at 65kg won first match by injury default, then lost 8-4 by an Armenian and the Armenian wrestler then lost so I guess Demas is done. Brady Berge lost by tech fall in his first match at 70kg. Aaron Brooks at 79kg has won his first two matches handily and Zach Elam at 97kg has had two tech falls.
Daton has second tech fall 10-0 and wrestles Naveen from India in the qtrs.

Needs to come back for the Bronze. Did not see or hear about the match but my guess is he was not able to turn takedown into back points. The trap arm gut does not work in the neutral or down position.

Unexpected, but certainly not the end of the world. Kyle Snyder won a Junior World gold and then lost the following year also. More motivation for Daton, he'll get better because of it. Always does.

Unexpected, but certainly not the end of the world. Kyle Snyder won a Junior World gold and then lost the following year also. More motivation for Daton, he'll get better because of it. Always does.
I agree completely. BTW Aaron Brooks in the finals against Vishiguro of Japan and had a fall in the semis. Zach Elam in the finals with 3 tech falls and wrestles Magomedkhan Magomedov from Russia. U.S. also has one in the consolations with Brady Berge at 70 kg. We have 31 team points with several including Russia, China,Japan and India in the 35 point range.

Apparently there was some very shady scoring/calls in Datons semis match that the US coaches were livid about.

jeez that’s awful

is there video review and confirmation in juniors?

The corner can challenge. If you lose then the opponent gets a point. So in the above exchange, if the call was upheld then Daton would have trailed 5-2 rather than 4-2. From this angle it looks like it should have been challenged.

Is there video somewhere?

I just saw the one posted here but twitter was lit up from USA wrestling guys calling two of the calls a travesty.

That is one major limiting issue of international wrestling. Too many judgement calls can be made by the officials.

Fix techs his way to a world bronze medal. Should be wrestling for gold... Intenrarional rules and judges continue to hold the sport back.

I agree the takedown was a bad call and that it probably should have been challenged. But there's a lesson there - if you allow the match to be close, you give international officials a chance to influence the outcome. Better to learn that now at the junior level than at the senior level.

Daton's interview with Trackwrestling after the bronze medal match, sounds like he gets it. Also says no decision has been made yet about going 125 or 133.

And Kevin Jackson's interview with Track before the medal matches. He breaks down how the team wrestled and also mentions Daton's weight as a possible reason why he got fatigued in the semis.

Reactions: osu2082
I agree the takedown was a bad call and that it probably should have been challenged. But there's a lesson there - if you allow the match to be close, you give international officials a chance to influence the outcome. Better to learn that now at the junior level than at the senior level.

Daton's interview with Trackwrestling after the bronze medal match, sounds like he gets it. Also says no decision has been made yet about going 125 or 133.

And Kevin Jackson's interview with Track before the medal matches. He breaks down how the team wrestled and also mentions Daton's weight as a possible reason why he got fatigued in the semis.

Fantastic interview and I wouldn't expect Daton to handle it any other way. He is a great kid.

It still doesn't change the fact that some of the rules and officials influence in international wrestling hurts its growth potential and is something that needs continued change.

Reactions: Wrassler17
He did look good. They said this was only his 3rd freestyle tournament ever, so he might end up being a factor at the senior level in a few years. But PSU had Berge take bronze and Brooks take silver, so I'm not feeling sorry for them. KJ said Brooks has been at the OTC since March going live against JB, Dake & Taylor and it showed.

Interesting thing about Brooks, in his Trackwrestling interview he said he would be at 184 or higher. I had figured him for 174 with Beard down at 184 and AJ Ferrari at 197. Does this mean Cael might go after Plott for 174? And where does Ferrari end up then? PSU & tOSU will both have top 10 guys at 197. Maybe we do have a shot with him (even a small one)? Or maybe he ends up as a heavy like Willie said.

Hmm. Yeah I knew he was going to be at 165. I was just under the impression that he could make both.

He might but he is bumping up the returning 5th place finisher at 165 and he wrestled his RS year at 165.

ADVERTISEMENT