ADVERTISEMENT

Daton hinting a comeback?

I have no inside information but IMO if whatever drug testing authority had proof of this they would have already issued a statement and/or a decision and this has not been done. at this point I am not of the opinion that he may never have taken a test but possibly just answered a questionnaire about it. The other part of the question assumes that he CAN TAKE a second redshirt year and I do not believe he would be allowed to. He may wrestle for us and enter freestyle tournaments that would qualify him to be our rep at the Olympics. The two are not mutually exclusive. This is just my opinion.

I have no inside information but IMO if whatever drug testing authority had proof of this they would have already issued a statement and/or a decision and this has not been done. at this point I am not of the opinion that he may never have taken a test but possibly just answered a questionnaire about it. The other part of the question assumes that he CAN TAKE a second redshirt year and I do not believe he would be allowed to. He may wrestle for us and enter freestyle tournaments that would qualify him to be our rep at the Olympics. The two are not mutually exclusive. This is just my opinion.

There have been others in the recent past who have taken two ORS (Micic for one) and the its very likely those who want to will have the opportunity to do so.

In a recent interview John alluded to Daton wrestling next year and that being the best thing for him.

I think the fact we haven’t heard anything official is very good news for Daton and the failed test was either overturned or an appeal process was won.

I think you confused G with Daton, or are referring to his international issues with the drug test.

Most college athletes won't take a 2nd ORS and the USOPC is actively working with teams and schools to get athletes back in class while still training for the Olympics. So much of the Olympic training budget had already been spent when shit hit the fan that there just isn't the funding for another full year of training and competing that the USOPC funds for each sport.

Most college athletes won't take a 2nd ORS and the USOPC is actively working with teams and schools to get athletes back in class while still training for the Olympics. So much of the Olympic training budget had already been spent when shit hit the fan that there just isn't the funding for another full year of training and competing that the USOPC funds for each sport.

That makes sense. Before you posted it, I was thinking it was an option to have Wittlake take an ORS and let Wick go 165 (should he transfer). That would've set up a loaded 2024 lineup.

I think most wont take it simply due to the fact it’s extends their college career to 6 or 7 years. Also it’s not viewer as the sure fire best way to prepare to make an Olympic team.

I’m not sure the USOPC provides much funding to the college wrestlers who decide to take an ORS. They are housed and fed on campus, train on campus and their RTC pays for some if not a majority of their travel and competition expenses during that year.

That changes if some of those guys choose to spend time at the Olympic training center.

I think most wont take it simply due to the fact it’s extends their college career to 6 or 7 years. Also it’s not viewer as the sure fire best way to prepare to make an Olympic team.

I’m not sure the USOPC provides much funding to the college wrestlers who decide to take an ORS. They are housed and fed on campus, train on campus and their RTC pays for some if not a majority of their travel and competition expenses during that year.

That changes if some of those guys choose to spend time at the Olympic training center.
USOPC does provide some funding plus all the tournaments the wrestlers attend and they help sponsor in tune-up and qualifying such as Pan-Ams, Worlds etc. Budget and schedule was set up for Tokyo in July 2020 not 2021. After Tokyo 2020 emphasis on funding was supposed to shift to 2022 winter games. This is creating a funding crisis for all summer Olympic sports.

Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT