ADVERTISEMENT

Darrell Keller RIP

Mar 29, 2023
To all -

This is my first post on your message board, and it is primarily intended for the older Cowboy fans who hang out here. I'm a Penn State alum and I usually just make posts on the Penn State wrestling message board. However, one of your Cowboy fans, AtownPoke, has been conversing with us on the Penn State message forum regarding the recent hire of David Taylor to OSU, and he invited us to reciprocate by visiting your message board.

Unfortunately, I have some very sad news to report. Darrell Keller passed away at the end of last year. You older guys will remember Darrell and his twin brother Dwayne who both won two national championship titles while at OSU in the late 60's and early 70's. Darrell's finals match with Larry Owings in 1971 is still a classic, and his win earned him the OW award that year.

Darrell was originally from WA, but he had been living in the Phoenix area for the last 20+ years. His wife, Tami, passed away from a brain tumor in 2017 and he has a surviving daughter, Sundi and a son, Chad. Along with that, there are several grandchildren including 3 girls who are triplets who come from his daughter.

Unless you knew him personally, most of you would just associate him with wrestling, but there was a lot more to Darrell than just his athletic skills. He was one of the most decent people I have ever met and the same goes for the rest of his family. I was very saddened to hear about his passing, and I thought it would be appropriate to share this news with all of you on this forum.

God Bless!

To all -

This is my first post on your message board, and it is primarily intended for the older Cowboy fans who hang out here. I'm a Penn State alum and I usually just make posts on the Penn State wrestling message board. However, one of your Cowboy fans, AtownPoke, has been conversing with us on the Penn State message forum regarding the recent hire of David Taylor to OSU, and he invited us to reciprocate by visiting your message board.

Unfortunately, I have some very sad news to report. Darrell Keller passed away at the end of last year. You older guys will remember Darrell and his twin brother Dwayne who both won two national championship titles while at OSU in the late 60's and early 70's. Darrell's finals match with Larry Owings in 1971 is still a classic, and his win earned him the OW award that year.

Darrell was originally from WA, but he had been living in the Phoenix area for the last 20+ years. His wife, Tami, passed away from a brain tumor in 2017 and he has a surviving daughter, Sundi and a son, Chad. Along with that, there are several grandchildren including 3 girls who are triplets who come from his daughter.

Unless you knew him personally, most of you would just associate him with wrestling, but there was a lot more to Darrell than just his athletic skills. He was one of the most decent people I have ever met and the same goes for the rest of his family. I was very saddened to hear about his passing, and I thought it would be appropriate to share this news with all of you on this forum.

God Bless!
Thanks for sharing @AgSurfer

Thanks for sharing @AgSurfer
I just found out about Darrell on Wednesday evening. I hadn’t talked to him for a while and I called to get his thoughts about the coaching change at Ok State. His phone was disconnected so I called Chad to see if he had a new number and he told me that his dad had passed away last December. I’m pretty bummed out about the loss.

Darrell was a pretty unique guy because he put out so much positive energy and it was contagious. People would feel good just being around him. The world could certainly use a lot more like him these days!

Hope all is well with you guys out there in the Midwest. I have a nephew who just moved to Norman a while ago for a new job so I’m hoping to visit OK sometime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT