ADVERTISEMENT

Current Oklahoma Hospitals

Dobsie

All-Big12
Gold Member
Please take care of yourselves, and your families guys.

Northeast Oklahoma

3/3 Major hospital systems are likely to suspend all elective cases again, and have been discussing with each other. As of last Friday it was pretty bad.

We have a 21 bed ER when I left Thursday there were 44+ patients in the ER, and only 5 nurses for all of them 1 nurse of the 5 came from the CICU to help. ER nurse to patient ratios usually are 4-5 patients per nurses. 1-2 if it’s and ICU hold.

We have had a few patients in the ER for 72+ hours (the record since coivd is a 147+ hour hold in the ER). The Waiting room was at least a 10-12 hour wait for most patients to be seen after triage (minus the traumas/stemis/cvas etc).

The last 6-8 weeks prior Southwest Kansas, Southeast Missouri all the way to Branson, and NW Arkansas were shipping patients to this area and North Texas.

Last winter before the huge freeze we were shipping patients to OKC, Denver, Houston, Louisiana, DFW, and other North Texas cities.

Right now we are again are shipping patients to OKC, DFW, North Texas, Houston, Louisiana, Denver, and Idaho (Yes Idaho)

We had a pneumothorax chest tube patient that had to wait 24 hours in the PACU before they could be shipped.

Right now the influx of patients here have

SARS-CoV2

SARS-CoV2, Flu A

SARS-CoV2 Flu B

SARS-CoV2, Flu A, and Flu B

SARS-CoV2, RSV

RSV (this one is really bad amongst children right now)

I work in interventional radiology I’ve put in more chest tubes, and abscess drains since Covid than the previous 10 years combined.

OU Medical is the only level 1 trauma in the state.

Emergency measures by the Health Department.

The new rules also give hospitals flexibility to repurpose conference rooms or other unused spaces into patient rooms so more people can be admitted.

The Oklahoma Medical Board is also in the process of writing emergency rules to expedite medical licenses to get qualified individuals on the frontlines of the pandemic faster, Frye said.

Officials from several Oklahoma hospitals gathered in Oklahoma City Tuesday to strike an urgent tone in their pleas with Oklahomans to wear masks, get vaccinated and keep the state's health care system from collapsing in on itself as the rates of COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths appear poised to eclipse previous surge records.

"The reality is that hospitals have limited resources – staffing, beds, and supplies are all limited," said Dr. Bahar Malakouti, a neurohospitalist and medical director for stroke at Mercy Hospital Oklahoma City, at a press conference Tuesday on the grounds of OU Medical Center. "When we have the kind of increase in COVID patients that we’ve seen here in Oklahoma over the last month, all our resources are stretched beyond our limits. Our staff is burned out and wondering how we’ll survive yet another surge."

"I’m here to tell you the current level of community spread impacts every single Oklahoman," Malakouti said. "This most recent surge in COVID has had a dramatic impact on nearly every health care service our hospitals provide. If you get in a car accident, have a heart attack, need an emergency surgery or, yes, even if you have a stroke, there’s a chance you might not be able to get the time-sensitive care you need."

Malakouti noted that on many days over the last month, there has not been a single bed available at many Oklahoma hospitals. She said in some cases patients in the Mercy system are being transferred to hospitals in Kansas, Texas and Colorado because there are no available beds in any Oklahoma hospitals.

"And this is currently a physical bed issue at Mercy, not a staffed bed issue. We are routinely running out of physical beds to care for all patients – both COVID and non-COVID - who need us," Malakouti said.

SSM St. Anthony Medical Center registered nurse Regan Wickwire said she had been working the hospital's COVID ICU since the beginning of the pandemic last spring.

"Not only are patients flooding into area hospitals at a rate higher than at this point last year, but the patients are sicker," Wickwire said. "And they are much younger. We are seeing critical COVID patients in their 20s, 30s and 40s this time around, with a lot of life left to live. They are scared. When they reach our unit, they very much believe the virus is real."

"I can't tell you how many patients I've sat next to, stroked their faces and let them know they are loved and appreciated" as they died, Wickwire said, noting many of their last words with loved ones happened via FaceTime calls.

Dr. Julie Watson, chief medical officer at INTEGRIS Health, said she knows Oklahomans are weary.

"The best solution we have right now is the vaccine," Watson said. "And yes, even though some vaccinated people are testing positive for COVID, the risk is 600 times less likely that they will need the hospital to get better compared to those who are unvaccinated.

"In fact, more than 90% of all patients who come to us hoping that we can save them, help them breathe again, stop their kidneys from failing from COVID, haven't taken the vaccine. 93% of Oklahomans who have been hospitalized in the last month with COVID have not had the vaccine. These patients believe in us when they are sick, but seemingly haven't trusted us when we've shared with them how to stay well. It is heartbreaking and exhausting," Watson said.

"Please get vaccinated. Don't put yourself, your family, your children, your neighbors at risk. Please don't wait until you are lying in a hospital bed. Vaccines don't work at that point. Please get your vaccine so we have beds to care for patients with cancer or diabetes or heart disease. Get it now. Get it today," Watson said.

“Our healthcare providers simply cannot keep going at the current pace,” said OU Health chief quality officer Dr. Dale Bratzler.

OU Health noted in a statement that, "The number of new COVID-19 infections has risen dramatically in Oklahoma. In the past week, there have been 15,490 new infections reported in Oklahoma, which is an increase of 10% over last week. One thousand three hundred and ninety two (1,392) people with COVID-19 are currently hospitalized in Oklahoma, and 369 are in the ICU. There have been 131 deaths because of COVID-19 in the past week."

"The majority of infections are caused by the Delta variant, which is much more contagious than past versions of COVID-19. Because Oklahoma’s overall vaccination rate remains below 50% and mask-wearing has decreased significantly, the Delta variant has been able to spread rapidly," Bratzler said.

"You have to think that any person you encounter could be infected. There is no way externally to know. A person who is infected with Delta variant may be asymptomatic or have minimal symptoms and infect you," Bratzler said.

In a separate press conference in Tulsa on Monday, officials from Saint Francis Health System shared similar dispatches from their hospitals and clinics, noting patients are being treated in hallways and waiting rooms, and in some cases having to be admitted for care in chairs rather than beds.

"Last week, we had a woman in her 30s who was 38 weeks pregnant and we could not save her or her unborn child," said Dr. Ryan Parker, chief of emergency medicine at Saint Francis Hospital. "We had a 40-year-old man that passed away over the weekend. And I think that you guys are all seeing this play our in the nationwide media, but, for us, these are our brothers and our fathers and our children and our uncles, and so it is very personal for me when we lose these patients."

Parker said the average age for COVID patients requiring mechanical ventilation is now 51, far younger than during the last surge before the widespread availability of vaccines.

Cliff Robertson, Saint Francis Health System CEO and president, said he supported mask mandates both locally and for the state, given masks' proven efficacy in reducing the spread of COVID-19.

"We are supportive of mask mandates if the city council deems that appropriate for Tulsa, or at the state level we would be supportive of those, as well," Robertson said.

Parker said masks in schools are crucial to protect children.

"I think that it's our jobs as parents and citizens to protect our kiddos, and we know that the kiddos aren't able to be vaccinated until they're 12 as of right now," Parker said. "To protect those kids, and especially to protect them from mitigating and spreading the virus to their teachers, their grandparents, their parents, that mask is another level of protection."

Oklahoma State Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Lance Frye said Friday he would not comment on whether K-12 schools should require masks, as is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Under a law signed by Gov. Kevin Stitt in May, public school districts in the state are legally prohibited from requiring masks, though two districts in Oklahoma City have implemented pseudo-mandates with opportunities for parents to opt their students out. The governor last week issued a statement in support of those policies, saying they respect parents' choice to send their children to school without masks.

We are having healthy pregnant women in their 30's die along with their unborn babies currently.

Please look out for yourself, and your families.

Isn't RSV increased by children wearing masks?

This is not my area of expertise, but

RSV is usually transmitted when

• An infected person coughs or sneezes
  • You get virus droplets from a cough or sneeze in your eyes, nose, or mouth
  • You touch a surface that has the virus on it, and then touch your face before washing your hands
  • You have direct contact with the virus, like kissing the face of a child with RSV

I can't recall the platform but several weeks ago I read that they think kids are getting RSV at higher rates because of being stuck at home and not building up a natural immune system.

Yes, from what I have read from medical experts in this area, we should expect another peak in October. We have got to get the vaccine to the under 12 kids soon.

Kids seem like the least of our worries. How many healthy kids under 12 have died from covid in Oklahoma

Reactions: poke2001
I can't recall the platform but several weeks ago I read that they think kids are getting RSV at higher rates because of being stuck at home and not building up a natural immune system.
Schools been in session this entire year

Kids seem like the least of our worries. How many healthy kids under 12 have died from covid in Oklahoma

Less than 450 people age of 18 and younger have died from Covid in a US subgroup of about 80 million in over a year and half. Your child is more likely to die in an accident taking them to school. 5 and under is more likely to die in the bathtub

The RSV panic is interesting to me. Virtually all children get RSV before they turn 2, but so many people act like they've never heard of it
I think most parents have heard of RSV. This latest batch that’s gone around has been particularly nasty. I’m not a medical professional so I’m not sure, but I suspect that’s why you’re hearing more people talking about it right now. My three-year-old got it last month and it knocked him out of commission for a while.

Reactions: OSUJOCK
Less than 450 people age of 18 and younger have died from Covid in a US subgroup of about 80 million in over a year and half. Your child is more likely to die in an accident taking them to school. 5 and under is more likely to die in the bathtub

Right but I'd suspect healthy kids under 12 even make a up a small percentage of that 450 total

Reactions: poke2001

Human respiratory syncytial virus​

Also known as: RSV infection, human orthopneumovirus
  • OVERVIEW
  • SYMPTOMS
  • DIAGNOSIS
  • TREATMENT

Symptoms
The symptoms depends on the severity, age and health of the infected person.
Mild flu-like symptoms in older children and adults such as
  • Stuffy and runny nose
  • Mild headache
  • Mild cough
  • Mild fever
  • Sore throat

Severe symptoms in children and the immunocompromised include
  • Discoloration of skin
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Rapid breathing
  • Wheezing
  • Severe cough
  • Fever

Causes
Infection is caused by the respiratory syncytial virus. The virus enters the body through eyes, nose or mouth.
  • Spreads via infected droplets in the air through coughing or sneezing of an infected person
  • Direct contact with an infected person e.g. handshakes

The risks are high among
  • Children less than age 2 years
  • Premature infants
  • Children with weak immune system
  • Children in crowded child care centers
  • Adults with asthma or other lung and heart diseases
  • Persons with weak immune system

The RSV panic is interesting to me. Virtually all children get RSV before they turn 2, but so many people act like they've never heard of it

Its generally not that bad unless you are under a year of age, or extremely elderly.

My son who is almost 7 was put in a Pediatric ICU for a week when he was 3 months old because of RSV.

Also most hospitals have a respiratory panel they order for PUI's and RSV is on that. IT's been fairly bad this year when it normally is not a huge concern.

It is pretty bad for patients that pop positive for RSV, and SARS-CoV2

Reactions: Been Jammin
It's horrible that all those people are sick. But the fact that the hospital is at capacity is totally on the medical community. They've had over a year to ramp up facilities to meet increased capacity needs and they didn't do it.

That is what FOX4 in Dallas showed this morning.
I question their sourcing, then. The state COVID dashboard is not perfect, but fairly close. The accuracy is more of a delay in getting reports than poor data quality. It also lags on death reporting.

I am now starting to worry about Bluegrass’s comments on OSU’s landing spot based on his logic of COViD. I don’t know if he saw that Texas has requested mortuary trucks to handle the dead bodies they anticipating. Meanwhile Oklahomans are being shipped to Utah and Idaho to get hospital care. No worries.

I am now starting to worry about Bluegrass’s comments on OSU’s landing spot based on his logic of COViD. I don’t know if he saw that Texas has requested mortuary trucks to handle the dead bodies they anticipating. Meanwhile Oklahomans are being shipped to Utah and Idaho to get hospital care. No worries.
Having the exact same thoughts.

The fact that you are just now starting to worry about Bluegrass makes me start to worry about you. You should have started long ago.

It's horrible that all those people are sick. But the fact that the hospital is at capacity is totally on the medical community. They've had over a year to ramp up facilities to meet increased capacity needs and they didn't do it.
There are over 700 fewer Covid hospitalizations in the state than the peak. More people are hospitalized for other things now reducing total beds. It sucks, people are dying that should have been vaccinated.

the vulnerable population in the state has done a good job vaccinating and it shows in the numbers.

There are over 700 fewer Covid hospitalizations in the state than the peak. More people are hospitalized for other things now reducing total beds. It sucks, people are dying that should have been vaccinated.

the vulnerable population in the state has done a good job vaccinating and it shows in the numbers.
You still knew that you needed more capacity for just this scenario. It isn't just Covid cases but total cases that count. The medical community has been negligent this past 18 months in their failure to increase total capacity. They made a business decision to not spend the money knowing it would impact patent care.

Reactions: Tulsaaggieson
I think they need the Emergency order from the Governor to allow them to do some things. Also, the medical staff are worn out from a sustained effort.

Reactions: Been Jammin
You still knew that you needed more capacity for just this scenario. It isn't just Covid cases but total cases that count. The medical community has been negligent this past 18 months in their failure to increase total capacity. They made a business decision to not spend the money knowing it would impact patent care.
They were negligent years before.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I think they need the Emergency order from the Governor to allow them to do some things. Also, the medical staff are worn out from a sustained effort.
18 months to prepare. It's a total failure on the medical community. Thank goodness for the biomedical researchers who quickly developed the vaccine by investing in technology and research well in advance of the actual need.

Well quite a bit of the medical community has said screw it and retired, or left healthcare all together.

My facility has one CT Scanner, and it averages about 80-105 CTs a day. It takes 6-9 months to build a room for another CT scanner. The only place to have that done is shut down the current scanner, and build them back to back. That's assuming the Scanner is already manufactured and ready to go. Those units typically go for at least $2-3 million after you include the room etc. Good luck getting a CT Machine right now because they quit making them for the year about 4 months ago.

That means we would be scanning on the auxiliary helipad for at least 6-9 months bringing ICU, and Med Surg patients outside across a service road onto a helipad. You cant do that for 9 months right currently.

There has a been a shortage Drs, RNs, RTs, Rad Techs, etc. even before COVID. Why do you think Oklahoma is expediting licenses.

The minimum wage is like $7.50 we use to pay EVS (janitors) $15-17 an hour. We cant keep them there long enough to help clean rooms, ORs, PACU, CT Suites etc. 200 bed facility and we have like 4 for the day shift, and 3 for the night shift right now.

You can quit her, and pick up a travel job making $85k in 13 weeks and not work the rest of the year. Also Oklahoma has a lot of violent patients, and patient families here which has only been exacerbated by this. I've had co-workers, punched, bitten, grabbed, sexually assaulted etc.

Do you understand how many rural hospitals have failed, or are no longer here that were operating 10 years ago?

I saw that theatre.

Reactions: OSUJOCK
Well quite a bit of the medical community has said screw it and retired, or left healthcare all together.

My facility has one CT Scanner, and it averages about 80-105 CTs a day. It takes 6-9 months to build a room for another CT scanner. They only place to have that done is shut down the current scanner, and build them back to back.

That means we would be scanning on the auxiliary helipad for at least 6-9 months bringing ICU, and Med Surg patients outside across a a service road onto a helipad. You cant do that for 9 months right currently.

There has a been a shortage Drs, RNs, RTs, Rad Techs, etc. even before COVID. Why do you think Oklahoma is expediting licenses.

The minimum wage is like $7.50 we use to pay EVS (janitors) $15-17 an hour. We cant keep them there long enough to help clean rooms, ORs, PACU, CT Suites etc. 200 bed facility and we have like 4 for the day shift, and 3 for the night shift right now.

You can quit her, and pick up a travel job making $85k in 13 weeks and not work the rest of the year. Also Oklahoma has a lot of violent patients, and patient families here which has only been exacerbated by this. I've had co-workers, punched, bitten, grabbed, sexually assaulted etc.
Lot of excuse making.

You've had 18 months to put beds in rooms and set up protocols to house patients, and hire and train staff to handle the work load. It doesn't have to be Dr.s and Nurses doing all the work. There's simply no excuse to require shipping patients out of state.

Dr.'s are smart people. Be creative and ramp up.

Lot of excuse making.

You've had 18 months to put beds in rooms and set up protocols to house patients, and hire and train staff to handle the work load. It doesn't have to be Dr.s and Nurses doing all the work. There's simply no excuse to require shipping patients out of state.

Dr.'s are smart people. Be creative and ramp up.

We have to go by state, and federal guidelines. Lots of those options we had went away when they took away the emergency mandate.

Since the new emergency measure were put in place by the health department we can now go back to that.
If we don't follow those federal and state health codes/guidelines/laws whatever you want to call them we lose the accreditations to provide certain levels of care. If we did what you wanted we would lose funding, and the ability to treat people (because we lost accreditation) . It's called government bureaucracy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT