ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboy Action shooting

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
anybody ever done this?

I have a rifle and two single action revolvers in 44-40 that I reload for. Contemplating getting some old double barrel 12 and trying my hand at this. At my home range, I have started setting it up in terms of things I have seen in CAS tournaments.

I enjoy shooting the 300 and 400 yard shots, but something about dressing up as a gunfighter and slapping leather sounds fun. And with my knee, I can't run fast enough anymore to blaze through a 3 gun match. Tried that a couple years ago and felt like a big slow hedgehog limping around and fumbling with my AR.

I have an old Lee Classic Loader for 44-40 I found in the back of my local gun store for a few pennies, it's crazy how easy that makes reloading a straight walled (kinda) Cartridge like 44-40.

Anyway, I'm bored on Sunday night and wanting to talk guns lol. My wife is sick of me talking about it now...

Cowboy Action Shooting was the hot new thing about 20 years ago when I went to a match. It was the funnest thing I'd ever done. We tried to get a group going out here in Guymon, but we just didn't have the critical mass of folks needed to make it possible to have a regular shoot. I really wish we had pursued it further, back then. It's sort of slowed down in popularity and long range shooting seems to be the hot new thing, but you need a lot or real estate for 1000 yard shots.

If you can find a group, go for it. I think you'll find you don't have to be so agile like in 3 gun and the "spirit" of it is where it's at. When I went, there were a few that were super competitive, but 95% were more interested in dressing up, shooting and having fun than winning. You can spend a mountain on all the gear, guns and costumes. You might take it easy for the first couple to make sure it's something you really like before you go off the deep end.

Also, if you shoot much at the CAS meets, you wont shoot a Colt. Since fanning your gun or slip triggering it are not allowed in CAS, you'll end up damaging the trigger mechanism in a Colt if you shoot it long enough. It just happens. A modern revolver that meets their requirements is safer and more rugged. Think Ruger instead. There may be others out there that offer a more reliable and modern shooting mechanism that won't break when you're attempting to shoot quickly, but I'm not sure which ones they are.

I just looked around and I went to a Single Action Shooting Society event. I don't know which one you were asking about. Go for it and dang sure let me know how it goes. If you find one you like, I may have to dress up and come to one some day just to experience it again. I have everything I need besides some leather, I think.

Once you get all into it and decide you need a fancy custom six shooter to go with your awesome alias, you go here and order it.

http://www.reedercustomguns.com/

Totally tell me how it goes. I'm very jealous you have the opportunity.

Will do. Need to get a double barrel of some kind. I had a Chiappa Triple Threat, but I don't think those are allowed LOL.

i wish I had snagged the two Ruger old Vaqueros with action jobs I saw at my local gun store about 6 months ago. Dragged my feet and a guy snapped them up. Sucks, they were in 44-40 and ready to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT