Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2002
Just to get some chatter going…

•Surber says he’s at 230
•At least 3 guys look like they’ve put some serious work physically:
*Carter Young looks like he’s made a jump
*Voinovich is looking rock solid
*Kyle Haas looks like a grown man. If there is a sequel to 300, he’d fit the bill 😊
•Jordan Williams looks pretty lean…would be tough to see him ready for 157 this season.
•Same for Cutter Sheets - he’s tough as nails…seems like he needs some time to grow & add strength
•Teague Travis is intriguing. Will be interesting to see if he can break into the lineup somehow.

Thanks for the update! How are you following the team in the offseason? Do I need to get… ugh… Flo again? :)

Wonder what everybody is walking around at. Would be great to see Haas at a healthy 184 and Carter bulkier. Honestly I don’t know what an average cut is for wrestlers from the offseason - 15 pounds? 30?

Will be interesting to see if Haas can or will hold 184 or if the scuttle of some guys moving up is true.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the update! How are you following the team in the offseason? Do I need to get… ugh… Flo again? :)

Wonder what everybody is walking around at. Would be great to see Haas at a healthy 184 and Carter bulkier. Honestly I don’t know what an average cut is for wrestlers from the offseason - 15 pounds? 30?
I’d say 20-25. Some are more disciplined than others. Give me a month and I’ll drop 30 pounds if I have to.

Jordan Williams has been weighing in at 158 the last couple of months while wrestling 160. If you routinely weigh in 2 pounds under, it likely means you are not cutting at all. At this point, he would probably be a small 149. We'll have to see how big he gets in the coming months.

Jordan Williams has been weighing in at 158 the last couple of months while wrestling 160. If you routinely weigh in 2 pounds under, it likely means you are not cutting at all. At this point, he would probably be a small 149. We'll have to see how big he gets in the coming months.
149- Anthony Ferrari?

If you know something please say it

He didn’t wrestle last year due to an injury and then disciple issues that he just can’t seem to shake. Is already on thin ice here.

Really talented kid but struggles getting along with teammates and staying out of trouble.

With Sheets back, and with somewhat of a logjam of talented (yet unproven) prospects ranging from 141 - 157...hopefully they can get him in the program and give him some time to mature and find his place without having to have massive expectations of him right off the bat.

I’m not going to gossip here. Let’s just say there are some issues.
I appreciate the non gossiping. Doesn’t help anything. I hope he winds up being a great wrestler and even better teammate and citizen.

Understood and appreciate that...just several posters make vague comments and I dont have any idea whether they know what they are talking about or whether they are just speculating. I appreciate your comments and appreciate that you have some insight in to some issues that may prevent him from making a difference next year. I do not need to know, nor do I want to know, the details. thank you

Understood and appreciate that...just several posters make vague comments and I dont have any idea whether they know what they are talking about or whether they are just speculating. I appreciate your comments and appreciate that you have some insight in to some issues that may prevent him from making a difference next year. I do not need to know, nor do I want to know, the details. thank you
I appreciate the response. My best advice is to let things play out. I think we all want what’s best for all concerned - the kid and the program.

Would prepare to see Luke Mechler at 157. This is a good thing. Very solid wrestler that didn't do much freestyle in high school, which is why he wasn't highly ranked.

Reactions: turfpoke
I was hoping we saw Mechler compete at the Junior trails, he's an interesting prospect. Never won a state title and he didn't place at Super32 his senior year, so his low HS ranking was fair.

But his losses at Super32 were to 2 top 50 guys. Both matches were very close and competitive - you could see he was right there with both of them. This past college season, he beat Herrera-Rondon, the #10 PFP recruit in the 2021 class. He also beat Jared Hill, someone OU fans are very high on and expect to start for them at either 157 or 165.

Reactions: DPJ and turfpoke
My hope has always been that Big brother AJ recognizes his brother needs some guidance and helps him figure it out the issues and work through it for the greater good of the team and Anthony himself. AJ is a big team guy and talks about his teammates as "brothers". I hope he helps his own blood to grow and be apart of that bond.

I was hoping we saw Mechler compete at the Junior trails, he's an interesting prospect. Never won a state title and he didn't place at Super32 his senior year, so his low HS ranking was fair.

But his losses at Super32 were to 2 top 50 guys. Both matches were very close and competitive - you could see he was right there with both of them. This past college season, he beat Herrera-Rondon, the #10 PFP recruit in the 2021 class. He also beat Jared Hill, someone OU fans are very high on and expect to start for them at either 157 or 165.
OU fans?

• Haha
Reactions: driad and turfpoke
Unless Wyatt has built some firepower - or there's a serious gap in talent between him and the other 157'ers - I'd like to see somebody else in the lineup at 157. Regardless of who beats who in the room. It feels harsh saying it but Wyatt has had a lot of opportunities and with the crazy talent we have in that weight range it seems wise to let those kids start scrapping for the starting spot.

Anthony Ferrari has been posting a lot of workout videos. He looks to be in fantastic shape. I hope he's given an opportunity to compete. If the rumors are true or whatever it might be a good thing for him to have something to channel his energy into.

What's the story with little Mastro? Isn't he at 149/157 as well?

And why can't we just tape bricks to Surber's body to add weight? Not legal? Lol

Haas does look like a grown man. Get it, bro

Reactions: DPJ
Unless Wyatt has built some firepower - or there's a serious gap in talent between him and the other 157'ers - I'd like to see somebody else in the lineup at 157. Regardless of who beats who in the room. It feels harsh saying it but Wyatt has had a lot of opportunities and with the crazy talent we have in that weight range it seems wise to let those kids start scrapping for the starting spot.

Anthony Ferrari has been posting a lot of workout videos. He looks to be in fantastic shape. I hope he's given an opportunity to compete. If the rumors are true or whatever it might be a good thing for him to have something to channel his energy into.

What's the story with little Mastro? Isn't he at 149/157 as well?

And why can't we just tape bricks to Surber's body to add weight? Not legal? Lol

Haas does look like a grown man. Get it, bro
As much as I’ve wanted to see Wyatt jump to the mid all American level, it just hasn’t happened. We’ve seen flashes here and there, but too many injuries and lack of developing an offense on his feet.

As much as I’ve wanted to see Wyatt jump to the mid all American level, it just hasn’t happened. We’ve seen flashes here and there, but too many injuries and lack of developing an offense on his feet.
I'm sure he'd like one last hurrah. It worked out pretty well for G last year.

Reactions: JAY45
I'm sure he'd like one last hurrah. It worked out pretty well for G last year.
I was happy how G performed last year compared to what we’d seen the last couple of years. Unless I’m mistaken G never AA’d. We need better than that to get back to the top.

Reactions: OAMC99 and osu2082
My hope has always been that Big brother AJ recognizes his brother needs some guidance and helps him figure it out the issues and work through it for the greater good of the team and Anthony himself. AJ is a big team guy and talks about his teammates as "brothers". I hope he helps his own blood to grow and be apart of that bond.
That is what I’m hoping for also. So, Anthony projects as a 149? Hopefully that chip on his shoulder translates to the mat. I’m not concerned about strength and cardio which is normally the issue for freshmen.

Last edited:
That is what I’m hoping for also. So, Anthony projects as a 149? Hopefully that chip on shoulder translates to the mat. I’m not concerned about strength and cardio which is normally the issue for freshmen.

Mastro, Anthony and Williams are all in that 149-157 range right now. Some could grow beyond that but that is three very talented young wrestlers.

We really need one of them to be who we hope they are and take that 57 spot.

Reactions: turfpoke and DPJ
Mastro, Anthony and Williams are all in that 149-157 range right now. Some could grow beyond that but that is three very talented young wrestlers.

We really need one of them to be who we hope they are and take that 57 spot.
I agree and unfortunately having Wyatt in that spot - even if he's winning ranking matches - just pushes everything out further. Unless you have Mastro/Ferrari/Williams go be mat rats in as many open tournaments as possible. Dang is it folkstyle season yet :)

I agree and unfortunately having Wyatt in that spot - even if he's winning ranking matches - just pushes everything out further. Unless you have Mastro/Ferrari/Williams go be mat rats in as many open tournaments as possible. Dang is it folkstyle season yet :)
If they are who we want them to be, Wyatt wont be beating them. When is the last time Wyatt beat an All American? Love the kid, love the family ties, results just aren’t there.

Reactions: OAMC99 and osu2082
Big team guy that went to Vegas instead of cheering on his "brothers" at Big 12s?

If the dad and older brother haven't been able to do anything to this point then why would it change now. I hope it's not a distraction for AJ, he needs to focus on his own issues.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
If the dad and older brother haven't been able to do anything to this point then why would it change now. I hope it's not a distraction for AJ, he needs to focus on his own issues.
We’re going to find out. Fingers crossed because he’s a phenomenal talent and the type of talent that we need to catch up.

We’re going to find out. Fingers crossed because he’s a phenomenal talent and the type of talent that we need to catch up.

Yea we need to be able to handle and manage the oldest two Ferarri brothers. Anything to keep them on track and eligible.

Yeah because it's not just them, it's other big personalities in the future too. Good to be able to work with any athlete that wants to come to OSU.
Hard to say who will wrestle 157 this year. Wyatt is a class act but he is not our future. Travis Mastrogiavanni has been mostly injured for over a year. Anthony Ferrari hasn't wrestled in competition for over a year. Jordan Williams needs to redshirt and get stronger. He is not ready to wrestle college 157's. As Wrassler said Mechler is a good wrestler but unless he has jumped a full level he is not close to All American material. Anthony is our best option as I see it for the future. At 149 I am concerned also because Voinovich does not seem close to being an All American. No one is going to like this but I am not sure Victor has improved much since his freshman year in high school where he won State in Ohio at 145. I hope I am wrong and he demonstrates he is outstanding. Anthony or Jordan may be better suited to 149. Lastly 184 is our biggest concern with really just 1 option Haas. Forum members are pointing out how strong he looks but in the last year I have not seen where he looks like a standout. After a year in our room he got thrown around like he is nothing by the Ohio State recruit Shumate who is rated 16th at high school 195's. We need all these young wrestlers to be jumping levels to have a chance in 2 years to win 35. It appears we have no chance this upcoming year. Penn. St appears like they will dominate and of the listed challengers we are not considered 1 of them by hardly anyone. Discouraging and much of the negativity is due to so many injuries and therefore I don't see improvement and the ones who aren't injured and are wrestling there doesn't seem to be a lot of improvement. I like our 2023 class Thompson, Hughes and Robb and hopefully Mullen. Our 2020 class looks good but injuries have really hurt. Our 2021 class looked good when they committed but don't look near as good now. Our 2022 class has great potential Williams, Ferrari and Blankenship. 2024 class has a potential great start with Angelo Ferrari especially if he is a 184. To win 35 we don't need good wrestlers we need outstanding wrestlers. You score very few points at Nationals if you do not place in the top4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT