ADVERTISEMENT

Concealed Carry Gun

longrangebunnykiller

2nd Team
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2004
I'm about to get my concealed carry permit and am curious as to what gun others carry. As an informal poll, what model and caliber do you carry and why? I'm considering purchasing a Glock (23, 26, 27), SA XDM .40, or a Sig 250 .40 subcompact. Any thoughts / comments on the benefits of a DA/SA (Double Action / Single Action) vs. a DAO (Double Action Only)?

Solo Carry in 9MM and the Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP.

Just a fine firearm and incredible as a conceal pistol.

Very nice guns indeed... but that Ultra looks pretty heavy - 25oz?

And I'm not sure I can pay more for my conceal carry gun than I did for my AR the Sunday before obamination was reelected. My budget is a bit slimmer than that.

But more than anything, at the moment, I'm concerned about what I can actually get my hands on in a reasonable time frame (i.e. before there are any law changes). I expected the AR's to disappear but I didn't expect such a wide variety of handguns to vaporize.

I haven't been to any of the big boxes lately - do they still have some stock? The local gun dealer has a significant internet presence and their selection has become almost laughable compared to being expansive just a month ago.

Originally posted by trapped_in_tx:
Very nice guns indeed... but that Ultra looks pretty heavy - 25oz?

And I'm not sure I can pay more for my conceal carry gun than I did for my AR the Sunday before obamination was reelected. My budget is a bit slimmer than that.

But more than anything, at the moment, I'm concerned about what I can actually get my hands on in a reasonable time frame (i.e. before there are any law changes). I expected the AR's to disappear but I didn't expect such a wide variety of handguns to vaporize.

I haven't been to any of the big boxes lately - do they still have some stock? The local gun dealer has a significant internet presence and their selection has become almost laughable compared to being expansive just a month ago.
I'm looking for my wife and have heard a lot of good things about the Ruger SRxC line (the x is substituted here for the caliber. So 9mm would be SR9c). I have one bought, just have to pick it up on Wednesday. I'll let you know impressions after we shoot it. I got her the 40 S&W. I prefer 45 cal, but 40 is a great middle between "stopping" power, capacity and recoil. I went with the 40 for her because her first time ever firing a pistol was my 1911 fullsize and HK USP compact, both in 45. She handled them well, though she did prefer the 1911. The SRxC's have a very high rating for taming felt recoil, so I think she'll handle it fine.

Additionally, even though I don't have it now, I did have an Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact. They're great guns for a great price.

This post was edited on 1/7 9:54 PM by Jeff J.

Since the XD is a little bigger than the Taurus I was looking at, I was getting into debate with myself whether I should go 9mm or .40 if I went Springfield.

I've gone back and forth about what would be a good concealed carry gun. One side of me says keep it slim and under 20 oz to ensure I actually carry it which, combined with ammo price (at least, up until a couple weeks ago), moves me to 9mm.

Then another side of me says law enforcement prefers .40 for a good reason and I should just try and find the most comfortable and (slim/light?) .40 I can.

A good friend has a couple of Taurus guns - a .380 for carry and a .45 for keeping around the house and just general shooting. He loves them but I see a lot of mixed opinions when it comes to Taurus when I read online.

As for the Ruger SRxC, I've heard very good things as well. I liked how the 9mm felt when I held it but I haven't been able to fire it. I never had a chance to check out the .40 yet but my understanding is that it's really not that different from the 9mm.

I thought I would add...

Somehow I overlooked the Springfield XDs. .45ACP in a 21.5oz package and either a 5+1 or 7+1 capacity if you want the larger magazine.

Has anyone fired one of these and have an opinion? DTS - I figured you must have fired at least half the guns manufactured in the last 100 years by now, surely you have some input?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Can't go wrong with the SA XD/XDM or Glock..See if you can find a S&W Shield you will be pleasantly surprised if you want a true carry gun that packs a punch in a relatively small/slim package. Unfortunately, they sell out so fast you will have trouble finding one to handle. Inexpensive at MSRP around 450.00.

Originally posted by DocShip:
Can't go wrong with the SA XD/XDM or Glock..See if you can find a S&W Shield you will be pleasantly surprised if you want a true carry gun that packs a punch in a relatively small/slim package. Unfortunately, they sell out so fast you will have trouble finding one to handle. Inexpensive at MSRP around 450.00.
I missed a Shield here in town by 2 minutes today. :(

Jeff put it on your "wish list" at "Bud's gunshop" on line and they will Email you when they are in stock... I have had great luck with them in the past.

I've got the XDM in .40. I don't carry it, but its a great gun.

It was my favorite until I got my hands on a Kimber.

Looks like the local shop has at last one each of a Shield in 9mm and .40.

Unfortunately it also looks like they are trying to take advantage of the present situation. The .40 is listed at $550 and the 9mm is listed at $750 although I will be verifying the pricing and availability in the morning.

I don't exactly trust this dude - heard plenty of 'interesting' stories related to his exploits outside of his gun business.

The search continues...

Picked up the wife's SR40c today. She seems pretty happy, though she - very astutely - says "I'll be sure once I shoot it." If she doesn't like it, I may keep it for myself. Pretty nice.

trapped, the Shield I missed was $438 (40 S&W)

Originally posted by Jeff J.:
Picked up the wife's SR40c today. She seems pretty happy, though she - very astutely - says "I'll be sure once I shoot it." If she doesn't like it, I may keep it for myself. Pretty nice.

I just picked up one of these as well for my wife (except in 9mm). She hasn't shot it yet, but I really like it.

I shot a buddy's Springfield XD the other day. It is a great gun.

Since this is for your wife I'm guessing here but I would imagine she will predominantly carry it in her purse, correct?

If you were carrying it, would you carry it IWB? I'm curious because I don't plan to pocket carry and I hate the idea of an ankle holster or compression shirt, so that pretty much leaves IWB.

Do you think it would be comfortable and wouldn't print? I would imagine it would print fairly easily with a very light t-shirt or something similar. I'm still trying to get my mind around what width starts to make IWB less practical.

A single stack would be narrow enough but with a double stack (which I would honestly prefer) I think there's some real gray area.

Originally posted by trapped_in_tx:

Since this is for your wife I'm guessing here but I would imagine she will predominantly carry it in her purse, correct?

If you were carrying it, would you carry it IWB? I'm curious because I don't plan to pocket carry and I hate the idea of an ankle holster or compression shirt, so that pretty much leaves IWB.

Do you think it would be comfortable and wouldn't print? I would imagine it would print fairly easily with a very light t-shirt or something similar. I'm still trying to get my mind around what width starts to make IWB less practical.

A single stack would be narrow enough but with a double stack (which I would honestly prefer) I think there's some real gray area.
Whether my better half will CC remains to be seen, but yeah probably in her purse.

I think it would work as a IWB.

Thanks everyone for the replies - I ended up going with Glock as they felt the best and I was already used to the platform (having purchased my first one during Clinton's first term). I splurged and bought both a Glock 23 and 27 (.40 cal, medium and subcompact). Now I just need to determine the best way to carry...I've been looking at the Crossbreed's SuperTuck. Any other suggestions for comfortable, all-day carry options?

This post was edited on 1/10 10:24 PM by longrangebunnykiller

I have a S&W M&P in .40 but I recently purchaced a Stoeger Cougar Compact .9mm that I have fallen in love with. It is not a poly framed gun and does have a little more weight to it but it is just a great gun, accurate and have yet to have anything close to a malfunction. Another great thing is the price at $399 on Bud's. If you aren't familiar with this gun you should check it out. I did a ton of internet research before I bought it and most info out there is extremely positive and having now aquiring one I have to agree.

Wife finally shot the Ruger. At first it seemed like a no go. 3 magazines later she liked it. Curiously, she liked it best with short (10 rd) mag.

In the meantime, I picked up a full size kimber. Hands down not the equal of my other 1911, so it probably goes up for sale soon.

The other new purchase shot for the first time was a surprise...AK chambered in 5.56. Fully expected to be a trader...accurate with garbage ammo and fun to shoot!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I carry a Ruger LCP .380. This compact gun is really hard to beat for a concealed carry weapon. It is very easy to shoot. Trigger pull is long, but smooth. Recoil is nominal for this lightweight gun. This gun is ideal for ladies to carry in their purse or for a guy to carry in your pocket. You can shoot a nice pattern within 25 yards.
This post was edited on 1/31 5:07 PM by bpollard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT