ADVERTISEMENT

Columbia dual

Typical snooze fest.Either he is pulling too much weight or he has gotten worse.
Daton won 6 to 1. I think our coaches think if Daton gets better on top maybe he can beat RBY. I don't think Daton can ride RBY or turn him. Daton gets a decision against the 31st rated 133.

Typical snooze fest.Either he is pulling too much weight or he has gotten worse.
I think part of it has to be weight related. He looked way better last week when they started the dual at 149.

Daton with a solid win but could have got a major if he would have worked his takedowns more.

I’m so tired of this crap. If this was any other coach he’d be gone mid season. They are the worst coached team and that’s saying a lot of you’ve ever watched either our football team or basketball team.

I’m sure we will come back and win the dual but the fact we’ve fallen so far as a program that teams like Columbia are our peers should be enough evidence that anyone needs to see we need a new direction.

Voinovich got 3 takedowns and won a solid decision over an unranked wrestler.
G was rode for 1 minute 40 but got a reversal and leads 2 to 0 but his opponent has riding time. Smith challenged back points, announcers think he did that because G seemed tired. G gives up the escape fairly quick but G gets the takedown and wins 4 to 1. G's opponent was rated 27th.

Reactions: bwel9339
G was rode for 1 minute 40 but got a reversal and leads 2 to 0 but his opponent has riding time. Smith challenged back points, announcers think he did that because G seemed tired. G gives up the escape fairly quick but G gets the takedown and wins 4 to 1. G's opponent was rated 27th.
Sheets walks into 2 takedowns in the 1st and is behind 4 to 1. Sheets is getting dominated 4 takedowns to 0. His opponent is rated 17th and seems quicker, stronger and better balance than Sheets. Coach Smith in the beginning of the season said lets enjoy our wrestlers develop this year. Many of our wrestlers rankings are dropping like rocks. I am really questioning the job that all of our coaches are doing with the bottom position coaching, top wrestling and neutral wrestling. Somehow coach Smith keeps saying we are getting better in interviews. He must be seeing something I don't see.

Sheets walks into 2 takedowns in the 1st and is behind 4 to 1. Sheets is getting dominated 4 takedowns to 0. His opponent is rated 17th and seems quicker, stronger and better balance than Sheets. Coach Smith in the beginning of the season said lets enjoy our wrestlers develop this year. Many of our wrestlers rankings are dropping like rocks. I am really questioning the job that all of our coaches are doing with the bottom position coaching, top wrestling and neutral wrestling. Somehow coach Smith keeps saying we are getting better in interviews. He must be seeing something I don't see.
Plott scrambles for the last takedown in the 3rd period over his ranked 32 opponent to win 5 to 2. He did not look strong or sharp in this match but pulled it out.

Plott scrambles for the last takedown in the 3rd period over his ranked 32 opponent to win 5 to 2. He did not look strong or sharp in this match but pulled it out.
Wittlake wins 9 to 3 against an unranked opponent. Wittlake was behind after the 1st period but turned the match around with a reversal and back points in the 2nd.

Pretty uninspiring overall. Wish we could all drop a weight from 65 down. Fix at 25, Carter at 33, etc. Know it’s not possible.

Reactions: OAMC99
How telling is it that we have no one in the room that is better than TM at 125, yet TM is getting beat or struggling with guys ranked lower than him. So are all our other 125's that bad? Same goes for 141 and 165.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
How telling is it that we have no one in the room that is better than TM at 125, yet TM is getting beat or struggling with guys ranked lower than him. So are all our other 125's that bad? Same goes for 141 and 165.
Yes I think it is just where we are overall with lack of developing talent and depth.No one jumping levels and others staying where they were as freshman or high school kids.

I don’t think John was giving him a breather. Can’t imagine that ever being the case.

We also need to get comfortable "paying for guys"...if we want to get better in a hurry, it's going to come via transfers and the Blue Chip recruits (Guys like Fix and Ferrari) actually living up the their recruiting rankings.

Reactions: DPJ and turfpoke
Better figure out a way to rest some guys next weekend cause the following weekend Iowa trip will be brutal.

The other 125 with potential who was cleared just prior to the season starting due to shoulder surgeries. I think he will beat out TM next year after a full year of health and development.

No more excuses for Mastro and Young. They just aren’t very good at this level. Sure they’ve had some nice moments but overall haven’t developed and show no signs of any time soon. Lack luster showing by the team as a whole today. That’s on the coaches. Plott looks off, hope nothing serious but hope it’s something bc otherwise I don’t like what I see the last 2 weeks. We are going to get smoked by several teams the rest of the way and will likely have a very underwhelming nationals. Just a lousy lineup with no heart minus a guy here and there from week to week. Guys at the wrong weights, over powered and out worked.

It looked like on the ESPN coverage they were about to start some extra matches. Is there anywhere to find results of those matches? Or can anyone in the know, share?

It looked like on the ESPN coverage they were about to start some extra matches. Is there anywhere to find results of those matches? Or can anyone in the know, share?
I think Witcraft was warming up and then went on the mat when they began interviewing Columbia's coach.

I just looked for the article on the Ok.st. site and Witcraft 133 won by pin, Bloemhof 141 lost 7 to 5 in overtime, Harper lost 4 to 1 at 165, and Stika 184 won 7 to 2. Here is another sad bunch of information is we don't have much on the bench. From the 2022 recruiting class we have 2 redshirt freshmen who might be good or okay. Jordan Williams could be a standout but to be honest his results this year leave questions even on him.

Reactions: cowtowncowboy
Interesting, because the Columbia site shows Witcraft losing by pin and the Stika match being at 197. I wonder who is responsible for reporting/entering the official results.

Poor results are on the wrestlers themselves too. Unprecedented access to film and training regimens, there’s no excuse for “awww coach didn’t prepare me”. Coaches are easy to blame especially with our baked in nepotism (only OSU fam allowed on staff) but they are only part of the equation, they can’t wrestle the match. I don’t know the scholarship situation but if you have guys continually underperform maybe you cut them from scholly and use that $$ somewhere else.

Poor results are on the wrestlers themselves too. Unprecedented access to film and training regimens, there’s no excuse for “awww coach didn’t prepare me”. Coaches are easy to blame especially with our baked in nepotism (only OSU fam allowed on staff) but they are only part of the equation, they can’t wrestle the match. I don’t know the scholarship situation but if you have guys continually underperform maybe you cut them from scholly and use that $$ somewhere else.

I'mm just leave this here. Compare that to what John is doing and just ask yourself if he's really getting the best version of his athletes.

Interesting, because the Columbia site shows Witcraft losing by pin and the Stika match being at 197. I wonder who is responsible for reporting/entering the official results.
Weights I would think they (okstate site) would just put in the weights they are listed. I don't know which site is right. Probably the Columbia site since the dual occurred there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT