ADVERTISEMENT

Colt Python? Anyone?

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
I have only held a Python once in my life. Never pulled the trigger. Never got to feel the smoothness that everyone raves about. The closest thing I have is a Smith and Wesson Model 686 (one of the first, no dash and number) Distinguished Combat Magnum. It looks like a Python if you cover up the logo.

I had the chance to buy one a few years ago for a fraction of what they are selling for now, but I've almost always had a .357 revolver of some kind, and at the time they weren't off the charts crazy expensive as they are now.

So, I want one, but not because all my gun buddies want one. I want one just to have and experience, not to throw in the safe with gloved hands and take out to fondle occasionally and show my friends (before you even say it...guffaw.)

Any of y'all have Python fever or own one? Got one ya want to let me have for a couple hundred bucks? Heehee.

My next big ticket gun purchase will be a Python or a nicely documented WW2 era 1911 (preferably an Ithaca, or maybe a Rand).

They made a ton of those damned Pythons. Besides some milsurp rifles and handguns, it's one of the few guns I can think of that was produced in abundance yet demands $5,000 for a prime example. I don't need a "as new in the box" Python, just a decent one that hasn't been beat severely, but isn't so exquisitely conditioned that I would be afraid to throw a box of .38 specials down the barrel once a month. So if ya got one and are a nice OSU guy that needs a down payment on a new car for the wife, let me know :D

The pythons were a premium gun, and very nice, and both of those I shot were smooth, but when they came out, I didn't think they were the superstar they seem now to be.... and I shot an Anaconda that was pretty nice, but not the mercedez that the Python was.
Personally I liked the S&W 686 just about as well, and if I could get a custom shop 4 or 6 inch 686 with trigger job and tritium sights, I'd be happy as a peach. It would be a great outdoor carry gun too. I don't have either right now, but sure wouldn't hesitate to buy either one given the right situation. The 686 is a third or 4th the price of a Python. I'm not a "collector" like some are so the price isn't right for me, as I want to be able to shoot them.
pix925396779.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rulz
https://goo.gl/images/f84nys

"collector"...yeah, I don't know even know if I'm truly a collector. I have a lot of different guns, but I shoot just about all of them. The only gun I have collected per se is the Henry Original Engraved guns in 44-40. And just to clarify, the Henry Repeating Arms company guns, the new ones, not the old original Henry rifles made by New Haven arms (which became Winchester, the gun was called a Henry, named after Benjiman Tyler Henry, the designer who worked for Oliver Winchester). I ain't that well heeled enough to go that deep lol.

My 686 is the more rare target version with the 4 positing drial adjustable front site used for sillouhete shooting that was popular in the 80s. It was another of my "local gun store" finds that they had sitting in the back of the case, complete with its original box, cleaning tools and documents. Its a damn smooth six inch barreled revolver. I can't seem to post pics right now, I left a link above that shows what mine looks like. There is little to no recoil with .38 special. It can handle heavy loaded .357 without problem. It was made back when S&W still had hammer mounted firing pins.

I just want to pick up a Python at some point before Colt starts making them again. That may or may not happen, depends on how well their latest foray back into revolvers goes with the new Colt Cobra. I doubt seriously they will be able to replicate the hand made quality of the old guns, and that might drive prices up even further once they release those, maybe it will make them go down since I would guess they would be at around $2000 or less new, significantly below what a NIB Python sells for on GunBroker right now. Who knows. I saw a Python Elite listed for a buy it now of like $10,000. Yeesh. They Pythons were always relatively expensive even back during production, but these prices now are just ridiculous.

If I were Colt, I'd do a "limited series" reintroduction of the Python. They would sell like hotcakes. High profit!

Taking it a step further, they could also do a limited edition "Snake Gun" series with all of the Colt revolvers made with matching serial #s.

Don't know how that would go over, but I'd bet it'd be interesting!

If I were Colt, I'd do a "limited series" reintroduction of the Python. They would sell like hotcakes. High profit!

Taking it a step further, they could also do a limited edition "Snake Gun" series with all of the Colt revolvers made with matching serial #s.

Don't know how that would go over, but I'd bet it'd be interesting!

I would buy one for sure, they did remake the Cobra in .38 special, so at least that's a start.

If they would price them in the realm of their higher end 1911s, that would be nice. But I'm afraid they would be off the charts if they were made like the originals. Like I have said, the original Python was hand made with all the parts hand fitted to the gun. The guys that did that are either long retired or gone now, unless they were still fairly young up to about 2005. With this being such a fantastic time for gun guys (kind of a golden era in terms of development and whatnot, lots of new items out there), it would be a good time to capitalize on the possibility of people having more cash in their wallets to play with.

I would be first in line to pick one up. I love Colt revolvers and 1911s. I have a couple of examples of older revolvers (a WW2 Colt Commando and a 1930s era Officers Model Target). I wish I knew how to properly work on old Colt revolvers, gunsmiths with that knowledge are getting hard to find.

I sold a python a few years ago right before the market exploded. The python is very smooth and nice but the model isn’t without faults. It has a lot more parts and it is a little temperamental. When it’s tuned properly, it is very nice. If it is not, it will require a little work to get it right.

If you want my opinion, not worth the price to play. I would think that buying a modern revolver and sending it to a custom shop to make it awesome would be a better use of your money. It will still cost a lot less than nice python, maybe by thousands.

I openly admit I hate “collector” guns. I like shit I can shoot. If you shoot a nice python, you will destroy its value.

Wait, Isn't that like having a trophy wife you can't touch? fuggetaboutdit.

More like having a Ferrari you can't drive...but you're pointed in the right direction. Honestly, they're very pleasant handguns, but they're not very durable and if you want a really nice revolver that isn't a collector, custom or Korth both offer a weapon that can be fired and not affect their value drastically. I'd love to have a Korth, but they're damn pricey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT