ADVERTISEMENT

Colt 1911 in 38 Superauto

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
picking this up next week, found one for a good price and have always been intrigued with this old round. Came around about the time Elmer Keith decided to blow up guns figuring out the intracucies of .357, so it became obsolete before it's time really. In those days (late 20s, 1930s,) police wanted a round they could use to penetrate engine blocks and car doors. So, out came the Colt 1911 in 38 Super. It was forgotten for a number of years until competition shooters discovered it was fantastic with a comp on a 1911 in the 80s. Colt has always made 1911s in 38 Super over the years. Anyway, when I get this gun in and have some range time, I'll try and figure out how to post pics again and show some targets with it compared to my other hand guns and see if it's the performer some guys rave about.

So far, in my warm up to cowboy action shooting, I have gotten my hand loads to hit one ragged hole at 10 yards with my Uberti Colt SAA clone. I feel confident I can do well with the hand gun part of it, but I need some work on speed loading my double barrel lol. My hands fumble the damn rounds right now, so I have some work to do. My revolver and my rifle are both chambered in 44-40, and I use .428 bullets (most guns are .427 bore in 44-40), so I have had some great experiences from both long range and hand gun range so far. Just need to work up my speed.

Anyway, bored on a Saturday afternoon working at home and dreaming about being outside shooting...like I always seem to be doing lately...

Here's to the coming spring and some good shootin weather!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT