ADVERTISEMENT

Christmas gift of tip off for tool type folks

hollywood

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Just picked up two Craftsman 3/8" drive (one SAE and one Metric) 10 piece, 6 pt socket wrench sets at Westlake Ace Hardward for $9.99. This includes the ratchet wrench. The lowest price I'm finding on Amazon or Ebay is right at $20, just the sockets alone are selling at $11-12. Comes with a nice heavy plastic carry case.

I'm giving them to the kiddo to get him started with a tool set of his own. I remember buying the near identical 10 piece set when I was in high school in the mid/late 70's and the price was above $10 back then.

That's a really good deal. May need to pick one up for my nephew. Thanks for the heads up.

Sort of a hijack, but, do you think Craftsman has lost a bit of their quality lately? I bought a mechanics set a couple years ago, and was surprised at the overall finish and appearance. It seemed like Lowe's Kobalt stuff looked better than what I got.

csh - yep, it's not up to the quality of the Craftsman of old and a lot of the Kobalt (lowes) and some Husky (Home Depot) for that matter is every bit the equal or better.

However, at that price I thought it was a heck of deal for a starter set or something you might throw in the trunk for emergencies.

Craftsman has lost a ton of quality as they continue to move manufacturing to China. If you can find the USA made stuff it is still pretty decent. Some of the Kolbalt and Husky stuff is ok, as it is made in Taiwan. There are also a few decent tools at Harbour Freight, but you need to know what you are looking for as there is a ton of junk also. The HF 44" tool chest is the best bang for the buck tool storage available.

I am buying a lot of German made stuff these days. Knipex pliers and Wera screwdrivers are two great quality brands.

If you are looking for USA made tools at decent prices with fantastic customer service, check out the Harry J. Epstein company.

They carry USA made stuff like Williams, SK, Proto and others.

http://store.harryepstein.com/

gipraw,

What I am noticing in regard to Craftsman hand tools, since most of it is being produced in China these days - is the "finish" on the tools. When in the past there was left-over machining marks on the surfaces it was either ground down or polished out. Now, it's just left bare with the machine marks intact. I realize this doesn't affect performance, but it is nice to have the American vintage stuff which they bothered to take their time and spend the extra nickel to give it a nice finish/polish.

I'm actually starting to collect old-time hand wood tools and machine tools. I currently have a 1940's Duro/Wards brand bench top drill press that I am starting to restore, a 1939 Walker Turner Floor sized drill press about 2/3rds of the way there (it was obtained in a govt auction in 1951 and came from a US Battleship, unfortunately the guy who bought it has alzheimers and his family can't find the receipt) and 3 old craftsman table saws, all made by King Seeley (two 10" and one 9") the youngest one made in 1961.

Often times I have had great discoveries at garage sales in older neighborhoods. Last summer I picked up an old brace (hand drill) that was marked $1 along with a handful of the old bits (pre-electric drills). Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I waited until I got it home to inspect it closer and discovered it was a Miller Falls brand from a production run from 1925-1945 worth at least $25 and possibly up to $45. Still works perfectly and I have actually put it to work boring out some holes in a situation where I wanted to control the angle as much as possible.

I've come to conclusion that when I retire I want a wood shop and to find old tools and restore them. The Walker Turner Drill Press I'm working on..... It should run another 60-70 yrs easily by the time I'm finished with it as it's getting a complete tear down, motor rebuild and all new paint and most components are going to get a nice nickle plate.

Here's a link to a website which highlights products which are still made in America. The link goes to their "tool" section, but there's others as well. A lot of tools like drill bits, saw blades, router bits, etc. are no longer made in America. I made a good deal a few years ago and picked up about 80 New Old Stock (NOS) router bits from the Oldham company, which were at that time still made in the same American factory they had been for 70+ yrs. Now, all of that brand is made in China along with their saw blades.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

I love old tools. I inherited my great grandfather's hand tools. He was a mechanic for the railroad. A lot of his wrenches are hand forged and cut. He has some old woodworking stuff as well. A couple of very nice old planes, several braces and a ton of old bits. I'd love to see pics of the press. Are you going to document the refurb process?

I took pics of it all as I was taking it apart, for reference as I put it all back together (even though I have a copy of the manual), I am discovering that there are often slight differences in parts and construction, even within the same supposed "model" run. So yes, once I have it all back together, hopefully in the next two weeks, I will post them to one of the online sites for reference. Perhaps at OWWM.ORG (Old wood working machines org) Here's a pic of a comparable W-T DP for reference
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/17089-B.jpg The pic is of a bench top model, but it has the slow speed pulley set up, like mine (which is rare to find today), I'm having the paint color matched to be as close to original as possible. I took the base and used electrolysis to get rid of the old rust and prep it for primer. I've still got to do the same with the head casting, after I remove the bearings. One thing I'm missing and I may have to have one made to match the original is the top oiling spot on top of the spindle like the one in the photo has. The old motor needs a fresh paint job, and it has krinkle black paint on both ends, with very smooth and glossy black enamel in the middle section where the badge is located. Removing the badges so as not to damage them has been a very tricky process, which is not completed at this point.

My grandfather passed away in the late 70's. In addition to being a school teacher, for many years he had a woodworking shop and was the towns blacksmith (Ohio, outside of Finley). I remember he had a large workshop "out back" that was nearly as large as the house, and can remember it being stacked eye high with tools and projects. I found out that after he passed, one of my aunts was put in charge of disposing of the property and her and her husband didn't have a clue as to what was in the shop and let people just come and haul it away. This was done before my uncle, who did have a clue could put a stop to it.

My uncle told me in conversation just a few months ago that my grandfather had a collection of various hand planes alone that reached over 100+. The thing was, they were for the most part hand made, the metal often being forged and hammered by him. He didn't buy many tools, he simply made them himself, including pliers, scissors, wire snips and even screwdrivers.
I can only imagine what those would be worth today as many of them would probably be so collectible as to be in museums or collections. I about puke thinking about it, given how much I love old tools of that era and how many were hauled away simply for their scrap value.

Here's a bunch of "before" pics I have uploaded to photobucket:

http://s981.photobucket.com/user/Lawboy61/library/Walker%20Turner?sort=3&page=1

I took those pics a month or so back, looking at them I can't believe how rusty the bottom base and pole were and how much grease and gunk were wedded to the parts and body. The floor base is down to the blue paint and the rust is virtually all gone. The main pole is stainless steel and my son and I started with 100 grit sandpaper and worked up to 800 up all 5 ft of it going round and round with a palm sander. I just tried a round of #7 compound on it today, followed up with some nevr-dull wadding and it's downright shiny.
This post was edited on 12/9 12:45 AM by hollywood

that sure looks like a fun project. thanks for the link to the pics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT