ADVERTISEMENT

Caribbean vs Mexico vacation?

SquinkY5786

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2005
Have been looking at Sandals and Beaches and others.. Any advice? Sandals seems pretty pricey. Is it worth it. Mexican all inclusive seems like a better deal? Is all inclusive the way to go?

Wherever you go, you should definitely do all inclusive. It makes everything more convenient while you're at the resort, and you'll end up saving quite a bit of money if you do a fair amount of drinking.

I've never stayed at a Sandals resort, but my general impression from talking to people that have is that Sandals is overpriced. My wife and I stayed at a Dreams resort nine years ago for our anniversary, and everything was top notch. All of their properties come well recommended.

I take it this is your first trip to Central America?

Wherever you go, you should definitely do all inclusive. It makes everything more convenient while you're at the resort, and you'll end up saving quite a bit of money if you do a fair amount of drinking.

I've never stayed at a Sandals resort, but my general impression from talking to people that have is that Sandals is overpriced. My wife and I stayed at a Dreams resort nine years ago for our anniversary, and everything was top notch. All of their properties come well recommended.

I take it this is your first trip to Central America?
Ya first trip. I feel like sandals is overpriced so it’s hard for me to pull the trigger

Ya first trip. I feel like sandals is overpriced so it’s hard for me to pull the trigger
That's my general impression as well. As I mentioned, I would highly recommend a Dreams resort.

If you do Mexico, only book excursions at the resort you stay at for safety reasons and so you don't overpay.

Cancun can feel very touristy. I've been to Puerto Vallarta twice and like it a lot. There's a lot more vegetation than Cancun, and it feels less crowded too. Keep an eye on travel advisories for Mexico though - I think both Cancun and Puerto Vallarta had temporary travel advisories issued a few years ago.

I haven't stayed on any Caribbean islands, but I've visited a few as part of cruises. Which ones are you looking at?

Jamaica, Bahamas, Turks, St John. All I am looking at.
Among those, I've only been to Jamaica and St. John. If I had to choose between those two, I'd choose St. John. I'm not sure that all inclusive resorts are as common there though.

Once you decide where you want to go, I would recommend looking at resort reviews on Trip Advisor. I've found that site to be pretty handy the last few years for various destinations.

Once you pick a resort, look at multiple websites for pricing comparisons. Booking directly on a resort's website may or may not be cheaper, but there's usually a larger selection of rooms available at the various price levels.

I’ve been to Cancun and Playa multiple times, but will never go back. It’s no longer safe, even on some of the higher end properties. We had an incident in our group that thankfully didn’t turn out as bad as it could have.

I would recommend anywhere in the Caribbean except Mexico.

Mexico has some nice spots and it’s usually cheaper. Rosewood Mayakoba is spectacular.

Caribbean has some incredible properties and the scenery, island vibe, etc surpasses Mexico IMO. Do your homework though, a lot of properties have been hit hard w hurricanes the last year or two.

Reactions: OSUIvan
Jamaica, Bahamas, Turks, St John. All I am looking at.

Of those, if you are looking to spend less, I would recommend Jamaica.

Crime is likely higher there but not an issue if you don’t do something stupid. It is beautiful there, and the people are super friendly. Good food, but food is probably good at all 4.

I hate Jamaica. Turks are really nice and great diving and snorkeling. I liked St Johns but don’t know if the hurricane hit it or not. Also Bahamas are really fun. Man I miss traveling.

The best place for the money is CostaRico. I go every couple of months to decide on a place to live. Been in Playacar in Playa for four years and never had a problem. Ready for a new adventure.

Have stayed at the Riu Palace in Playacar twice and loved it. Pool and swim up bar are excellent. We stayed at the Grand Palladium a little further south in Akumal 2 years ago and really enjoyed it as well. It's a complex made up of 3 or 4 GP resorts and you have access to each one.

The best place for the money is CostaRica. I go every couple of months to decide on a place to live. Been in Playacar in Playa for four years and never had a problem. Ready for a new adventure.

What are you running from in this country?

I hate Jamaica. Turks are really nice and great diving and snorkeling. I liked St Johns but don’t know if the hurricane hit it or not. Also Bahamas are really fun. Man I miss traveling.
I went to st Thomas and St. John last February and am going back. They were hit really hard and were still recovering but we had a great time.

Going to Cancun in March and staying all-inclusive. I am a little nervous though.

Reactions: JonnyVito
Just did that. Got back 3 days ago. We all had a fantastic time! Made some great memories. Maui is my favorite place that I have ever visited, and it is not even close.
Asked myself if I would regret not living there one day. Worried about island fever though

Reactions: Been Jammin
I went to st Thomas and St. John last February and am going back. They were hit really hard and were still recovering but we had a great time.

Going to Cancun in March and staying all-inclusive. I am a little nervous though.
Just watch narcos season 4 and you will be fine

Reactions: FTWpoke and squeak
Anyone been to Cuba yet? My travel agent has a cruise out of Miami that goes to Cuba and they circle the island for five days so you stay on the boat and not in the Cuba hotels. Thinking about taking the wife of that cruise.

Anyone been to Cuba yet? My travel agent has a cruise out of Miami that goes to Cuba and they circle the island for five days so you stay on the boat and not in the Cuba hotels. Thinking about taking the wife of that cruise.
People can still go to Cuba right? I would love to see it as long as the don’t scramble my brain with a sonic weapon

St Martin was excellent! If you go stay in Grand Case Bay.

Just did that. Got back 3 days ago. We all had a fantastic time! Made some great memories. Maui is my favorite place that I have ever visited, and it is not even close.
Man, been twice and wouldn't go back unless I had to. So commercialized, so lazy of people (workers), etc. I'm sure there are good areas of Hawaii but only in my opinion it sure aint Maui. not enough holes at Kapalua, or Mai Tai's and Lavaflows to get me back there.

Ask someone in border security, customs, etc if they would rather go to Caribbean or Mexico. The extra dollars in Caribbean is a small price to pay for security and safety.

Reactions: KCCowboy1
Man, been twice and wouldn't go back unless I had to. So commercialized, so lazy of people (workers), etc. I'm sure there are good areas of Hawaii but only in my opinion it sure aint Maui. not enough holes at Kapalua, or Mai Tai's and Lavaflows to get me back there.

Not my experience at all. All of the locals we met were super friendly. No "lazy" workers that I remember. Beautiful, peaceful, perfect weather from sunrise to after sunset. If I were to go back, I would buy groceries upon arrival, and cook 1 or 2 meals a day to save money, as the restaurants were very expensive. That is the only thing I would do differently.

Reactions: JonnyVito
Whaaaat? The reason I like Maui is that it didn’t seem touristy. But I rented a condo on the beach in Kapalua. So was kind of on my own. Golfed plantation and did our own thing most the time

My parents are going some time this year for a dive trip. I will let you know what they think.

Also I love Maui. It my favorite vacation spot. I also don't have issues with the people. Get outside the main stream stuff and it isn't touristy at all either.

Reactions: Been Jammin
My wife and I stayed in a house on St John for a week a couple years back and loved it. The other great part is you can take day trips over to the British Virgin Islands as well. I much prefer the Caribbean over Mexico. Its just so much safer and we are able to get out and explore as opposed to not leaving your resort. We have never done the all inclusive thing. We always get a car and explore the islands when we go to the Caribbean. Do you like a little more secluded place or an area with a lot going on? Exuma, Caymans, and St Lucia are fantastic as well.

My wife and I stayed in a house on St John for a week a couple years back and loved it. The other great part is you can take day trips over to the British Virgin Islands as well. I much prefer the Caribbean over Mexico. Its just so much safer and we are able to get out and explore as opposed to not leaving your resort. We have never done the all inclusive thing. We always get a car and explore the islands when we go to the Caribbean. Do you like a little more secluded place or an area with a lot going on? Exuma, Caymans, and St Lucia are fantastic as well.

I love St John as well, been to Caneel Bay several times.

St. John also was wiped out last year with two Cat 5 hurricanes in consecutive weeks. I literally don’t think a single leaf was left on the island, not joking. It will take several years to even approach what it once was.

Curious about St Lucia. When we went I felt very unsafe there walking around the main town. I even had a homeless dude whip is pecker out and piss right in front of me and my wife. If you stayed at a resort then it is a great place IMO and beautiful place but I didn’t feel safe in the towns.

We spent our honeymoon and our 20 year anniversary at Sandals in St. Lucia. It really is a beautiful place. Sandals are a little more expensive but I think it is worth it.

We also visit Mexico a decent amount and stay at the Karisma resorts. They are first class as well. We purchased some kind of club membership that I have no idea what we get out of it but we bought it because we liked the place that much. Hope that helps.

If you want to look at some of the resorts, I have taken some videos. If you look up woodyosudx on YouTube, you will find some of them.

I will always tell people to go Negril Jamaica. It’s safe, phenomenal beaches, friendly people and great food. I’d also tell you not to stay in an all inclusive ... mingle and don’t barricade from the locals.

I get not all Jamaica is great, but Negril is maybe my second favorite place on earth (next to Stillwater).

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I like all inclusives because I hate carrying a wallet.

I also don’t mind venturing off too much because I don’t like people that much.

To each their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT