ADVERTISEMENT

BP

“How long will it be before the dream of super-quiet, super-efficient airliners becomes a reality?”

23rd century, per Gene Roddenberry. I don’t think he accounted for the woke generation and their Tide pod consumption, though, so it could be substantially longer.

In fact, programming a human being’s matter and energy patterns into a computer at Point A, then transmitting the data and reassembling it at Point B (the Star Trek “beaming” process) is likely more realistic than a battery operated aircraft that can carry the batteries and David and his luggage from Portlandia to Haight-Ashbury at 500 mph.

I’ll just stick with fossil fuels until I depart this life, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Their stock might actually increase as their fossil fuel use declines. Just saying. Lots of green investors out there wanting places to put their money.

P66 isn't going away from our primary mission of refining petroleum. But we are also courting green investors with some of our high profile initiatives. We are moderating our stance a bit from BP. But there is logic in their course.

A lot of companies are pouring money into "green" Hydrogen research. My company is already supplying components that are Hydrogen-compatible (seals, operating components, etc.) In the NE states, there is a big push for this by the utilities.

I took gas power systems in college
7klV.gif

Dave, its not happening with batteries. Green fuels or Zeppelins are your only options for flight.
600px-Energy_density.svg.png
Yes, and TSLAQ is right around the corner. We might end up quibbling about the definition of "batteries" at some point (redox systems for instance), but short haul electric powered commercial flight will happen.

Not really, I just want a Battery for my Weedeater that lasts longer than 20 mins.
Those exist, you won't find it on the end cap at Lowes though. Personally I'll take the lighter weight of a smaller battery but have several batteries charged and ready to go. To each their own.

See a few nice little Teslas swishing around the roads of college town Iowa. Range is 350 miles. Not enough to get very far south of Kansas City. I see one daily that brings a dog to the pup park to take a crap. Progress

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
See a few nice little Teslas swishing around the roads of college town Iowa. Range is 350 miles. Not enough to get very far south of Kansas City. I see one daily that brings a dog to the pup park to take a crap. Progress
What's the range on your Civic?

If it is not reasonable to expect your "technology of the future" to match or surpass existing technology, then wtf good is it? We might as well just convert back to covered wagons and sailing ships?
By what criteria do you measure "surpass"? Cost of manufacture? Cost to operate? Convenience? Ecological impact? Safety? Does your F-150 surpass the Dodge your dad drove?

Yes, and TSLAQ is right around the corner. We might end up quibbling about the definition of "batteries" at some point (redox systems for instance), but short haul electric powered commercial flight will happen.
Two weeks according to musk

Reactions: davidallen
I generally am comfortable with a 500 mile day. How is Sleepy Joe’s new e-charging grid construction initiative progressing ?

I generally am comfortable with a 500 mile day. How is Sleepy Joe’s new e-charging grid construction initiative progressing ?
I use the Tesla network. It's fantastic. Private enterprise. You should stop expecting the government to give you everything you need.

Interesting day today. Color me surprised at the Exxon Mobile news.
I hadn’t seen that. Interesting.

What will be really interesting, to me, is to see what people’s priorities are when the world economy goes into a multi-year recession.

If I owned any stock in BP I’d be selling it this morning. I just listened to their CEO on CNBC talking about reducing their production 40% over the next ten years and bragging about a reduced E&P budget. I understand they are trying to move to renewables but I’m just not sure how profitable or even workable that will be for them. I’m sure a lot of folks are slapping him on the back and congratulating him for his vision but I’m skeptical as to how successful it will be from a business standpoint.
Their reduction in production will be the result of selling developed assets to Statoil, mostly in the North Sea. BP will maintain their minority shareholding in several JVs globally. Azerbaijan for instance.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Interesting day today. Color me surprised at the Exxon Mobile news.
Engine No. 1 got 2 seats on the board this week. Expectations from the green left are high. I predict these two will achieve nothing more than adding a an hour or two to each board meeting. Exxon Mobil have been a leader in R&D of renewable energy for many years.

I hadn’t seen that. Interesting.

What will be really interesting, to me, is to see what people’s priorities are when the world economy goes into a multi-year recession.
RDS and Chevron with interesting developments as well.

I would suggest that on the global stage we are at that point that recession-oriented stimulus will align to more not less green investments. The dominoes are falling...

CNBC actually had a segment on yesterday about big oil’s move towards renewables. The analyst felt most of the moves were more window dressing than actions that would make a difference and that an opportunity still existed for a company that wanted to take the lead.

Profitability is the problem and has been my point all along. When oil prices are high big oil prints money. Renewables never have, and most likely never will achieve that level of profitability.

CNBC actually had a segment on yesterday about big oil’s move towards renewables. The analyst felt most of the moves were more window dressing than actions that would make a difference and that an opportunity still existed for a company that wanted to take the lead.

Profitability is the problem and has been my point all along. When oil prices are high big oil prints money. Renewables never have, and most likely never will achieve that level of profitability.
Window dresssing: when big oil releases a statement saying no gas will be flared on any wells after XX September 2022 (for example). All gas will be captured or re-injected into the formations. When the move is far more economic and the only place left in the world where they flare the associated gas is offshore Nigeria.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT