ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon Hunting Thread

How do you guys feel about the Whistle Pig Piggy Back as a less expensive pour? Comparable price to Michter’s US 1 Straight Rye. Picked up a bottle but haven’t opened it yet.

Last edited:
His do you guys feel about the Whistle Pig Piggy Back as a less expensive pour? Comparable price to Michter’s US 1 Straight Rye. Picked up a bottle but haven’t opened it yet.

Having only started the bourbon fixation in January, I recently got sent my first bottle of rye a few weeks ago...Pikesville, which I am really enjoying.

The only complaint I've heard about Whistle Pig is that the reasonably priced ones taste too young, and the older ones are too expensive for what you get. The $60 bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed has a blend of ryes that are 4, 6, and 8 years.

Last edited:
If you guys are interested, there is an alumnus of Oklahoma State (and Delta Chi) that seems to have made a name in the whiskey industry. You can find him on Instagram. His name is Fred Minnick.

Hold the show.

You serious Clark? Minnick is an alum?

edit: Damn. Just looked up his LinkedIn and sure enough.

I feel old - he’s three years younger than I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ostatedchi
If you guys are interested, there is an alumnus of Oklahoma State (and Delta Chi) that seems to have made a name in the whiskey industry. You can find him on Instagram. His name is Fred Minnick.
Very cool. Maybe he could hook us up with something?

Having only started the bourbon fixation in January, I recently got sent my first bottle of rye a few weeks ago...Pikesville, which I am really enjoying.

The only complaint I've heard about Whistle Pig is that the reasonably priced ones taste too young, and the older ones are too expensive for what you get. The $60 bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed has a blend of ryes that are 4, 6, and 8 years.
Get you some of that Michter’s I mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marocain Poke
So are you guys surprised he is an OSU alum or Delta Chi?

I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about him other than he is pretty well respected in the whiskey community.

So are you guys surprised he is an OSU alum or Delta Chi?

I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about him other than he is pretty well respected in the whiskey community.

OSU alum. He has interviewed a ton of bourbon loving celebrities. Recently he interviewed Derek Trucks from the Trucks-Tedeschi Band and The Allman Brothers.

In the bourbon world, Minnick ‘is kinda a big deal’.

He has somewhat single handedly made some bourbons hard to find by rating them highly and inspiring a buying rush which virtually clears the shelves.

Unfortunately, like many people lately, he seems unable to keep politics and <insert topic here, e.g. bourbon> separate. But when writing strictly about whiskey, he has a lot of influence.

In the bourbon world, Minnick ‘is kinda a big deal’.

He has somewhat single handedly made some bourbons hard to find by rating them highly and inspiring a buying rush which virtually clears the shelves.

Unfortunately, like many people lately, he seems unable to keep politics and <insert topic here, e.g. bourbon> separate. But when writing strictly about whiskey, he has a lot of influence.
So he sent me a friend request a while back. I didn’t know him but he was a much younger fraternity brother so I said “sure”. I saw he was into whiskey so I asked him about 40 Creek and he never responded. I thought that was kind of dickish so I unfollowed him. I had no idea that he gets that question from a lot of people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT