ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon Hunting Thread

OSUDD

All-Big12
Gold Member
Feb 20, 2005
There is a solid bourbon hunting thread on the main board, any bourbon hunters around here?

This past week I picked up a bottle of Michters 10 and three bottles of Midwinters Night Dram.

This year my haul includes.

Michter 10 year rye
Michter 10 year bourbon
MWND from High West
Weller 12
Stagg Jr.
4 Roses small batch select.
A few Buffalo Trace

So not bad for me.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
There is a solid bourbon hunting thread on the main board, any bourbon hunters around here?

This past week I picked up a bottle of Michters 10 and three bottles of Midwinters Night Dram.

I haven’t done much hunting this season. I was very successful fall ‘18 and then I was traveling a lot this last year.

I did pick up a bottle of baby saz in Iowa over the holidays. I’ve never seen one here in Longmont unless the price was jacked up. I could probably find some deals down in Denver but I don’t get down there very often.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I have never done a "hunt" but if I'm near a liquor store I will stop in and see what they have. Sadly I have not gotten any big unicorns, but this year I have got...

EH Taylor small batch
Eagle Rare
and multiple of buffalo trace (if you're in Austin BT is EVERY WHERE)
I was about 10 minutes late on getting a Weller 12, (but they had a ER left thankfully)

I got an Eagle Rare this year as well.
Would LOVE to get my hands on a Michter's 20, Old Forester Birthday, or any of the Buffalo Trace antiques.

I got an Eagle Rare this year as well.
Would LOVE to get my hands on a Michter's 20, Old Forester Birthday, or any of the Buffalo Trace antiques.

If anyone is looking for ER10, let me know. I usually can find it locally at retail, and would be willing to C+S or trade.

I can’t even find M10 around here, let alone M20, so can’t help you there. :)

If anyone is looking for ER10, let me know. I usually can find it locally at retail, and would be willing to C+S or trade.

I can’t even find M10 around here, let alone M20, so can’t help you there. :)
To be fair, the wife and I went to Louisville to the Michter's distillery and got those M10's. I've not opened the rye yet. But did already finish the bottle of bourbon. Had I known... I would have tried to get a few more.

I also have an EH Taylor Jr. small batch, barrel proof, and single barrel. Also a BT single barrel project.

Reactions: OSUIvan
Is the Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream a very limited, seasonal product? Difficult to score in these parts.

Is the Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream a very limited, seasonal product? Difficult to score in these parts.
I have a bottle of it and really like it. I don't think it is limited release, seasonal, or allocated. However, it can be hard to find in Oklahoma.

I will say that I like Benjamin Prichard's Sweet Lucy even better for a bourbon cream Liqueur.

Any others left or other goodies there?
If iit was at Owasso Liquor and Wine that guy has A LOT of stuff, both beer and liquor, that you won't see in most other area stores. And he is happy to order it if he doesn't have it. He sometimes mules in items that aren't actually distributed in OK.

Not incredibly rare stuff but Byron's stocked up on allocated stuff Father's Day weekend.

I actually got my hands on a two bottles of Blanton's in a week there. Also picked up some Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace.

Not incredibly rare stuff but Byron's stocked up on allocated stuff Father's Day weekend.

I actually got my hands on a two bottles of Blanton's in a week there. Also picked up some Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace.

wow 2 blantons? How much are they charging for them? A buddy of mine gave me the last 3 or so drinks of his blantons to try (never had it before), it's damn good! sucks it's so freaking hard to find.

wow 2 blantons? How much are they charging for them? A buddy of mine gave me the last 3 or so drinks of his blantons to try (never had it before), it's damn good! sucks it's so freaking hard to find.

Nothing crazy. I think about $60.

love all of those, except McKenna, have yet to try it. Have heard mixed reviews.

Had another pretty solid weekend. I've never found anything ultra rare but this weekend I got:

Buffalo Trace
Weller 107
Blanton's
Eagle Rare
McKenna 10
Since you revitalized this thread, I will ask something I was wondering recently:

What are the “rare” Weller varieties I should be on the lookout for? If you could list them from least expensive on up to most expensive.

Since you revitalized this thread, I will ask something I was wondering recently:

What are the “rare” Weller varieties I should be on the lookout for? If you could list them from least expensive on up to most expensive.

I'm a complete novice and new to this so I could be way off. From what I've read and experienced:

Weller Special Reserve (easiest and cheapest)
Antique 107
Full Proof
Single Barrel
12 Year
C.Y.P.B.

Depends on the part of the country you're in. In oklahoma special reserve is in every store for $22. In other parts of the country if you can find it it can be $100. 107 is every where in some parts of the country like Ohio but sparse in others like Oklahoma MSRP is 50ish. Weller 12 is less seen than SR and 107 through out the country, and William Larue Weller is only released once a year, good luck finding it at MSRP (100ish??)

They now have full proof which is starting to be released more consistently along with 107, and single barrel is brand new, no clue how often that is going to be released.

I watched a video the other day that said Buffalo Trace is building a new warehouse every 3 months to try to keep up with demand.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Depends on the part of the country you're in. In oklahoma special reserve is in every store for $22. In other parts of the country if you can find it it can be $100. 107 is every where in some parts of the country like Ohio but sparse in others like Oklahoma MSRP is 50ish. Weller 12 is less seen than SR and 107 through out the country, and William Larue Weller is only released once a year, good luck finding it at MSRP (100ish??)

They now have full proof which is starting to be released more consistently along with 107, and single barrel is brand new, no clue how often that is going to be released.

I watched a video the other day that said Buffalo Trace is building a new warehouse every 3 months to try to keep up with demand.

Any idea how much CYPB gets released in Oklahoma each year? My brother in law got his hands on a bottle a couple weeks back and acted like not many bottles make here each year.

Any idea how much CYPB gets released in Oklahoma each year? My brother in law got his hands on a bottle a couple weeks back and acted like not many bottles make here each year.
He looking to flip it? :)

CYPB is very hard to find. Reasonably confident it is released once per year like BTAC and there isn’t much in that single release. Usually late summer or fall release.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Anyone in DFW? I was able to go to Taverna Rossa and get them to sell me multiple tough to find bottles. Best ones were a 2018 George T Stagg and a Blantons Barrel Pick. Not sure if they are still liquidating but worth a try if you live near one.

Taverna Rossa in Plano? Are they closing for good? If so, that sucks. I didn't know Texas would allow them to sell their bar bottles to the public. How much above retail did you pay for these bottles?

I've got an agreement over here that "allows" me to bring in a two bottles every quarter via DHL. The last shipment from my buddy was a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye and Weller 12. Both obtained in DFW at retail via store drawing.

I broke out my hard to find or expensive bottles the other day.
ACtC-3fzXP2wRkFSqHCvUV5gKga4ZnIjN56ldbGbZkfv07_AO_vHAXC9XGt-q-g3RrVTy3YctcYRsDeRP8N9-FaNq3rtKCkQJfBjx32c8WA323Rm8rY-kIqejCg6GV5mUSGwldXIU5G9Ju40KZlSd5nFEtHf=w1303-h977-no

I have a couple of Heavenhill 16 year old single barrel, unfiltered, barrel proofs that aren't exactly.... from the store. So I don't take photos of them. But they may be the best juice I've ever drank. They are in the 140-something proof. But oh so good.

This is a good review. But not barrel strength, but the closest I can come to what I have. Pretty much a unicorn.

I picked up a bottle of the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel this past weekend and that stuff is fantastic. Also randomly stopped by a liquor story in Tulsa while passing through and got a couple of bottles of McKenna 10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT