ADVERTISEMENT

Bought a new bow

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
i’ve been shooting primitive bows for a few years and decided to go on a bear hunt to Canada in a couple months. I had to get new limbs for my bow to make it a little more teee stand hunting friendly and needed to tune and buy new arrows for the hunt. I went to Choctaw Archery to get some help from Haskell (probably the best primitive shooter in the state and placed 2nd in the world last year). While I was there, I bought a new Mathews Triax compound bow.

Good guy, good shop, and very fair prices. I recommend it.

I can’t tell you anything that two minutes and google can’t.

I took it to H&H to work on getting the 20 yard pin set up. I finally requested that they shorten the draw by 1/2” and that got me close to where I think I need to be. I really think it is possible that I need another 1/2-1/4” out of the draw to feel right but I think I am going to play with releases to see if I can get that.

The bow itself is fine. Very quiet and dead in the hand at the shot. With the short bow length, I thought it would be more torque prone in the hand but it isn’t bad. I’m still shooting it in, but I’m already more accurate than with my recurve. They’ve just made compounds pretty easy to shoot.

I don’t like how heavy the bow is. It feels like I’m holding a cinder block out on the end of my arm, compared to my recurve. I’m not very steady but hope I can get better with a little practice.

This is an expensive bow set up. There are certainly MUCH more affordable bows that are more than adequate. I went high dollar.

The Triax is top of the line for sure. Awesome bow from everything I've read! I expect you'll really like it and shoot it well. Taking it bear hunting? Last summer I picked up a new Halon 32 and fell in love with it immediately. But like you said, it feels (and is) heavy compared to a trad bow.

I’ve had more practice shooting a bow than many but just not a compound. I shot at 40 today but didn’t have any groups I would share. The draw is still way too long for me to have a consistent anchor so I’m going to play with different releases to see if I can shorten things up a little.

I usually encourage people who hunt to get a draw 1/2 less (sometimes even 3/4 inch) than they would have at the range with perfect form. Rarely do I get perfect form and the full draw length when I'm in a tree stand with all the twisting and sometimes bending and such to get drawn on a deer. Any way you can get it back to the dealer to shorten it for you? That's usually the best answer to the problems, but like you said, sometimes you can get a 1/2 inch through different releases too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT