ADVERTISEMENT

bob smith open

Not sure if you are using a phone or PC, but at least for me, I've found that brackets on Track are accessible if you choose print instead of view.

Dusty Hone with 2 falls so far. I hear he beats G in the room every time. And Kaid. Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing him at the Scuffle.

no problem seeing. disappointed no Joseph.

As of 12:25pm
125 Fontanez 1-1
141 Bennett Shearer 1-2 and out
149 Dusty Hone 2-1
157 Hanyu 0-2 and out
157 Wyatt Sheets won 1st 2 matches and then lost in semis 2-1
157 Jonce Blaylock two tech falls and in the qtrs.
165 Colton Denney 2-0 (2 falls)
165 Wes Ahrberg 1-1
165 Zain Edwards 2-1
174 Christian Bahl 1-1
174 Jaquan Jackson 0-2 and out
174 Travis Witlake 3-0 and in the finals
184 Anthony Montalvo 2-0 (TF,Fall) in the finals
184 Bear Hughes lost in semis to Jaramillo who will face Montalvo in the finals
197 Auston Harris 2-0 in the semis
197 Andrew Marsden 2-1 lost in Semis to Dalton Abney 5-4)
285 Cornelius "Neal" Putnam 3-0 in semis.

125 Fontanez 1-1
149 Dusty Hone 2-1
157 Hanyu 0-2 and out
165 Wes Ahrberg 1-1
165 Zain Edwards 2-1
174 Christian Bahl 1-1
125 Fontanez 1-1
149 Dusty Hone 2-1
157 Hanyu 0-2 and out
165 Wes Ahrberg 1-1
165 Zain Edwards 2-1
174 Christian Bahl 1-1
Andrew Marsden did not get straightened out by this extra wrestling because Abney is a true freshman for Central Oklahoma, 1 time Oklahoma State Champion 2 time runnerup for Cascia. Marsden depends on his funky stuff to get back points. Without it well we have seen he has no leg defense, no shots and he doesn't have much speed.

Reactions: oberebo
2:50 pm
149 Hone 4th place
157 Jonce Blaylock in finals
157 Wyatt Sheets consolation finals
165 Colton Denney 3-0 and in the finals
174 Christian Bahl 2-1
197 Consolation finals
184 Anthony Montalvo 3-0 and in the finals
285 Neal Putnam lost in semis 3-1 and in the consolations-he lost to Lanc of Neb.

Dalton Abney won this tournament and the frosh/soph division at UCO. I don't know much about him, would he make sense as a transfer possibility for 197?

Dalton Abney won this tournament and the frosh/soph division at UCO. I don't know much about him, would he make sense as a transfer possibility for 197?
125Fontanez in cons. finals
149 Hone 4th
157 Sheets lost 11-0 in consolation finals 4th
157 Blaylock 1st won 5-3 in finals
165Colton Denneyl 1st 8-7 in finals
174 Christian Bahl in consolaion finals
174 Witlake 1st
184 Montalvo 1st 4-0 won by fall in finals and finished with 3 fall and tech fall
184 Bear Hughes 4th
197 Andrew Marsden 3rd with 8-4 win over Auston Harris who was 4th
285 Putnam in consolation finals.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I think he will be a good wrestler for Central Oklahoma. In the finals he won 3 to 0 over a wrestler from New Mexico Highlands. My point was about Marsden possibly wrestling very poorly. Ferrari is where we need to put our energy for the future at 97( maybe also the West Virginia kid with Geer maybe wrestling there his junior and senior years. Also with the Bob Smith tournament it was frustrating I bet that Witlake's opponents both in the semi's and finals defaulted. Anyone hear what happened with Joe Smith.

I don't think so. I think he will be a good wrestler for Central Oklahoma. In the finals he won 3 to 0 over a wrestler from New Mexico Highlands. My point was about Marsden possibly wrestling very poorly. Ferrari is where we need to put our energy for the future at 97( maybe also the West Virginia kid with Geer maybe wrestling there his junior and senior years. Also with the Bob Smith tournament it was frustrating I bet that Witlake's opponents both in the semi's and finals defaulted. Anyone hear what happened with Joe Smith.

No, I agree with you about Marsden - he's not wrestling well at all right now.

I was thinking about next year after Preston graduates. I had figured Geer would go 197, Montalvo 184, Joe 174, and Wittlake 165. But after watching Geer's last 2 matches, I really like him at 184. Now I'm thinking Geer stays 184, Montalvo goes 174, and Wittlake goes 165 (Joe is just too injury prone to be counted on right now). Then we would need a 197 for next year. I've never seen Abney wrestle, but he beat Marsden, and the guy he beat in the finals 3-0 had already beaten Harris. That means he's potentially better than both of our backups right now as a true freshman. I think you definitely go after Ferrari and Amos the following year, but get someone like an Abney (or Borror) in the meantime. It sounds like you've seen Abney, so maybe he wouldn't be a good fit.

No, I agree with you about Marsden - he's not wrestling well at all right now.

I was thinking about next year after Preston graduates. I had figured Geer would go 197, Montalvo 184, Joe 174, and Wittlake 165. But after watching Geer's last 2 matches, I really like him at 184. Now I'm thinking Geer stays 184, Montalvo goes 174, and Wittlake goes 165 (Joe is just too injury prone to be counted on right now). Then we would need a 197 for next year. I've never seen Abney wrestle, but he beat Marsden, and the guy he beat in the finals 3-0 had already beaten Harris. That means he's potentially better than both of our backups right now as a true freshman. I think you definitely go after Ferrari and Amos the following year, but get someone like an Abney (or Borror) in the meantime. It sounds like you've seen Abney, so maybe he wouldn't be a good fit.

The question to ask in every situation like this is, how much will he cost? A one-year stopgap would be fine if he were willing to walk on, I guess.

There is also the looming possibility of Weigel getting a 6th year if injuries keep him out of the post-season this spring. Obviously, no one wants that and it seems his current issue shouldn't linger that long, but with his history, you never know.

Reactions: osu2082
The question to ask in every situation like this is, how much will he cost? A one-year stopgap would be fine if he were willing to walk on, I guess.

There is also the looming possibility of Weigel getting a 6th year if injuries keep him out of the post-season this spring. Obviously, no one wants that and it seems his current issue shouldn't linger that long, but with his history, you never know.

I have no idea if it is possible but Weigel getting a 6th year would actually not be a terrible thing for us.

The 6th year thing probably deserves its own thread. I think we could potentially have several guys that get one depending on how things break - Preston, Joe, Boo...

On Abney, I'm thinking an Oklahoma kid wouldn't cost that much. Plus I think I'm probably alone on this, but I believe we actually have scholly $ just burning a hole in our pocket. We had 4 transfers leave and only 2 come in. Plus we never used the Kharchla $. If Abney has potential, grab him because we could very easily miss on Ferrari and Amos (I think we are longshots).

The 6th year thing probably deserves its own thread. I think we could potentially have several guys that get one depending on how things break - Preston, Joe, Boo...

On Abney, I'm thinking an Oklahoma kid wouldn't cost that much. Plus I think I'm probably alone on this, but I believe we actually have scholly $ just burning a hole in our pocket. We had 4 transfers leave and only 2 come in. Plus we never used the Kharchla $. If Abney has potential, grab him because we could very easily miss on Ferrari and Amos (I think we are longshots).

You have to think beyond next season. Abney would still be around long after 2019-20 when, if the recruits play out like we hope, he would be nothing more than depth.

The fact is we have no idea how much anyone is getting so trying to gauge what it means when guys leave, transfer in, or commit elsewhere, while fun, is impossible. At a certain point, John and every other coach has to weigh what the priority is between filling the line-up, being good in duals, and winning the big show in March. There can be a balance between them, of course, but if a guy doesn't project to score a bunch of points in March, I can't imagine giving him anything to fill a one-year spot, especially when you have Geer, Hughes, Montalvo, and Harris already. I'd wager a decent amount that one of those four will be the guy (assuming Preston finishes this season) and will be better than Abney (who I hope goes and wins a D2 title).

Don't know a thing from an inside perspective but part of me wonders if Joe will ever wrestle again.

You have to think beyond next season. Abney would still be around long after 2019-20 when, if the recruits play out like we hope, he would be nothing more than depth.

The fact is we have no idea how much anyone is getting so trying to gauge what it means when guys leave, transfer in, or commit elsewhere, while fun, is impossible. At a certain point, John and every other coach has to weigh what the priority is between filling the line-up, being good in duals, and winning the big show in March. There can be a balance between them, of course, but if a guy doesn't project to score a bunch of points in March, I can't imagine giving him anything to fill a one-year spot, especially when you have Geer, Hughes, Montalvo, and Harris already. I'd wager a decent amount that one of those four will be the guy (assuming Preston finishes this season) and will be better than Abney (who I hope goes and wins a D2 title).

So what happens if we don't get Ferrari or Amos? We saw when Kerkvliet bailed that we had no backup plan for 285 (including losing a solid Brian Andrews to Wyoming).

You seem to be making an assumption that Abney might cost big $, which could potentially be wasted if he only starts for a year. I don't agree, I don't think someone with his accolades costs much. And what's wrong with some upper weight depth? Geer is better off at 184 (IMO). Montalvo & Hughes are not 197s and Harris hasn't shown yet that he should be a starter. We also need 285 depth. So then why did we sign middle weights Wills and Lindsey this year and add them to Stika, Harper, Denney, and Bahl? Roster construction is important and I think we could do a better job, even with depth pieces.

As to scholly $, while it's true no one knows how much anyone gets (a good thing), you can make some educated guesses. Geer & Shomers are likely a wash with Moore & Andersen. Moran and Harding were top 50ish type recruits. It's reasonable to think they were getting something (more than someone like Abney or even Borror).

So what happens if we don't get Ferrari or Amos? We saw when Kerkvliet bailed that we had no backup plan for 285 (including losing a solid Brian Andrews to Wyoming).

You seem to be making an assumption that Abney might cost big $, which could potentially be wasted if he only starts for a year. I don't agree, I don't think someone with his accolades costs much. And what's wrong with some upper weight depth? Geer is better off at 184 (IMO). Montalvo & Hughes are not 197s and Harris hasn't shown yet that he should be a starter. We also need 285 depth. So then why did we sign middle weights Wills and Lindsey this year and add them to Stika, Harper, Denney, and Bahl? Roster construction is important and I think we could do a better job, even with depth pieces.

As to scholly $, while it's true no one knows how much anyone gets (a good thing), you can make some educated guesses. Geer & Shomers are likely a wash with Moore & Andersen. Moran and Harding were top 50ish type recruits. It's reasonable to think they were getting something (more than someone like Abney or even Borror).
Wrassler, I don't like our 2019 recruiting class, I hope we did not give much aid to these wrestlers that you have mentioned 2018 and 2019. I did not like how Balmaceda wrestled at the super 32 but he of course is our best recruit for 19 maybe the only one who starts with any consistency from this upcoming class. This just my opinion but top recruits you give aid to and most I think should walkon or get very little aid until they prove themselves. A starter that is an average division 1 wrestler is very bad for Oklahoma State and does indicate recruiting mistakes. We have had a couple of walkon type recruits become All Americans in the last 20 years but it is a very low percentage. I don't think Abney would cost big bucks and if we did pay that I believe we would be foolish. He will be a good division 2 wrestler and hope he becomes an All American or National Champ for Central Oklahoma. I think Geer will be 97 next year over marsden and we need our coaches to get to work and get us a Blue Chip 97 soon 2020. You may be right about Ferrari and Amos although that result would pain me and hurt our chances to turn the corner again and get 35.

Reactions: Wrassler17

If we don't get Ferrari or Amos (or another recruit we think can be a multi-AA/NC type), we bulk up one of those guys who isn't a 197 and they either develop or we eat the weight. Penn State won the title one year with 5 AAs (to be fair, they were all finalists). Only one team has ever had 10 AAs in a season. You're right that if Abney doesn't cost anything he would be a good add, but then again that applies to many others too and there is a reason he chose to attend UCO.

Reading your posts it seems like you want to sign every guy who might have a chance to contribute at some point if everything falls just so. That just doesn't work in the 9.9 era. Those guys you mentioned in the middle weights probably came cheap and, if they didn't, that would be a bad sign. Like I've said all along, if Abney wants to walk-on, fine, the more the merrier of course. I just don't see it as much if any positive gain over what we have other than another lottery ticket that we hope develops far and away more than expected.

More than ever now, because of an increased media focus on recruiting and high school sports, you have to get the elite recruits to win national titles. You cannot do it with a bunch of guys outside the top 50 (the top 20 and really the top 10 are panning out with much greater regularity). Depth is good, but if it means you have a national qualifier that goes 0-2 or 1-2 rather than not qualifying at a weight, that doesn't do much for you team wise.

Good discussion as always. My final thought: Geer and Montalvo (in any order 184/197) > Geer/Abney in 2019-20.

If we don't get Ferrari or Amos (or another recruit we think can be a multi-AA/NC type), we bulk up one of those guys who isn't a 197 and they either develop or we eat the weight. Penn State won the title one year with 5 AAs (to be fair, they were all finalists). Only one team has ever had 10 AAs in a season. You're right that if Abney doesn't cost anything he would be a good add, but then again that applies to many others too and there is a reason he chose to attend UCO.

Reading your posts it seems like you want to sign every guy who might have a chance to contribute at some point if everything falls just so. That just doesn't work in the 9.9 era. Those guys you mentioned in the middle weights probably came cheap and, if they didn't, that would be a bad sign. Like I've said all along, if Abney wants to walk-on, fine, the more the merrier of course. I just don't see it as much if any positive gain over what we have other than another lottery ticket that we hope develops far and away more than expected.

More than ever now, because of an increased media focus on recruiting and high school sports, you have to get the elite recruits to win national titles. You cannot do it with a bunch of guys outside the top 50 (the top 20 and really the top 10 are panning out with much greater regularity). Depth is good, but if it means you have a national qualifier that goes 0-2 or 1-2 rather than not qualifying at a weight, that doesn't do much for you team wise.

Good discussion as always. My final thought: Geer and Montalvo (in any order 184/197) > Geer/Abney in 2019-20.

First yes, good discussion. And second, I wish all these guys well, whether it's Abney, Wills or Lindsey. And if/when they end up Cowboys, then I'll cheer for them even more.

My posts definitely haven't been clear. I agree with you and Harley - the mega recruits are the key (I also agree it appears Geer will go 197 next year.) Give guys like Ferrari and Amos full ride offers. And then pray they don't accept less from PSU and tOSU like Brady Berge, Kerkvliet, and Kharchla. I commented in another thread once that deep teams look good in pictures, balanced teams win duals, and the teams with superstars win titles.

So no, I'm not saying to get everyone. I'm saying be smart about your depthchart. Do we really need six 165s on the roster next year when we are so thin at 197 and 285? Wouldn't an Abney make more sense than a Wills? Wouldn't a heavyweight make more sense than a Lindsey? And it's not just about becoming a possible starter - maybe Abney is the next Nolan Boyd, who knows - it's about having training partners in the room. Who pushes Derek...Putnam, Perry? The coaching staff should apologize to Derek for not getting a college guy, senior athlete, or a volunteer coach to workout with him.

My comments on Abney are only because he seems to be a better "fit" and he would allow Geer to go 184, Montalvo to go 174, and Wittlake to go 165.

First yes, good discussion. And second, I wish all these guys well, whether it's Abney, Wills or Lindsey. And if/when they end up Cowboys, then I'll cheer for them even more.

My posts definitely haven't been clear. I agree with you and Harley - the mega recruits are the key (I also agree it appears Geer will go 197 next year.) Give guys like Ferrari and Amos full ride offers. And then pray they don't accept less from PSU and tOSU like Brady Berge, Kerkvliet, and Kharchla. I commented in another thread once that deep teams look good in pictures, balanced teams win duals, and the teams with superstars win titles.

So no, I'm not saying to get everyone. I'm saying be smart about your depthchart. Do we really need six 165s on the roster next year when we are so thin at 197 and 285? Wouldn't an Abney make more sense than a Wills? Wouldn't a heavyweight make more sense than a Lindsey? And it's not just about becoming a possible starter - maybe Abney is the next Nolan Boyd, who knows - it's about having training partners in the room. Who pushes Derek...Putnam, Perry? The coaching staff should apologize to Derek for not getting a college guy, senior athlete, or a volunteer coach to workout with him.

My comments on Abney are only because he seems to be a better "fit" and he would allow Geer to go 184, Montalvo to go 174, and Wittlake to go 165.
Next year I think 65 Smith ( I hope), Witlake 74, Montalvo 84, Geer 97 and HWT HELP.

Do we really need six 165s on the roster next year when we are so thin at 197 and 285?

Curious how many 165s are there on the roster who can right now (or even expected next year) if needed have an impact wrestling in a dual? I only see one and he is a senior thus someone needs to fill that spot.

Curious how many 165s are there on the roster who can right now (or even expected next year) if needed have an impact wrestling in a dual? I only see one and he is a senior thus someone needs to fill that spot.

Our roster isn't updated. We have 5 guys that are backup 165s this year, 4 true freshmen - Denney, Stika, Harper & Ahrberg, and a senior - Edwards. I don't think any of them would fill in for Chandler this year. The coaches would probably bump Blaylock up from 157, or maybe go Blaylock 157 & Shomers 165.

Next year if Joe or Wittlake is at 165, then Denney would probably be the primary backup. He's been doing well so far this year.

Our roster isn't updated. We have 5 guys that are backup 165s this year, 4 true freshmen - Denney, Stika, Harper & Ahrberg, and a senior - Edwards. I don't think any of them would fill in for Chandler this year. The coaches would probably bump Blaylock up from 157, or maybe go Blaylock 157 & Shomers 165.

Next year if Joe or Wittlake is at 165, then Denney would probably be the primary backup. He's been doing well so far this year.

That's a big "if." Sounds like you are saying there are no true quality backups at 165 and none of these expected to be the guy next year. Wittlake weighed it at 173.9, sounds like a guy cutting to make 174 and likely still putting on weight? I see no evidence Joe will/can be 165 next year.

That's a big "if." Sounds like you are saying there are no true quality backups at 165 and none of these expected to be the guy next year. Wittlake weighed it at 173.9, sounds like a guy cutting to make 174 and likely still putting on weight? I see no evidence Joe will/can be 165 next year.

I agree it's hard to plan on Joe being in the lineup. Even if he starts the year healthy at 165 or 174, he might get injured again at some point. About our true freshmen, I don't think we've seen enough to know if they are potential starters, I think we'll know more after Reno and the Scuffle.

I'm terrible at predicting lineups - I was pretty sure Picc was going 133 this year and Joe was going 165 (maybe even 157). Wrong! But here are my 2 preferred lineups for next year anyway...

157: Shomers
165: Wittlake
174: Montalvo
184: Geer
197: Marsden/Harris (anyone but Abney!)

Or

157: Balmaceda/Denney
165: Shomers
174: Wittlake
184: Montalvo
197: Geer

Posting at 2:19AM-Another nightmare from the Martial Arts Cowboy! Are you going to grace us with your presence at any home matches? I will alert the Stillwater police if so.;)

Posting at 2:19AM-Another nightmare from the Martial Arts Cowboy! Are you going to grace us with your presence at any home matches? I will alert the Stillwater police if so.;)
I will, I think it might be better if I keep a low profile when I come up. To many Democrats lurking in Stillwater! Haven't looked at my show schedule next year. Season end in 3 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT