ADVERTISEMENT

Black Keys last night at BOK

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
Nice show. Nice band. Liked the show. Didn't love it.

This is a band that lays down stripped down, simple grooves that I absolutely love to listen to, but I couldn't help feeling that I would connect to them so much better at the Cains instead of in a huge arena.

There's nothing about them that says arena rock. You see RUSH or KISS in an arena and it makes sense. The musicianship of the former fits nowhere less than in an arena and the showmanship of the latter would destroy a small venue.

I get that the black keys are so popular that they can do arena shows, but I kept thinking how awesome it would be in a more intimate place. There's nothing about them that blows your mind. Simple music - that is accessible and playable by just about anyone. Simple lighting. Nothing flashy. Straight forward groove driven rock. Front man can sing and play but did nothing to work the crowd.

Just my two cents but I did love the music.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 12/21 1:04 PM by MegaPoke

My buddy said the same thing. I am pissed I couldn't go.

He did say St. Vincent put on a good show.

The show last night was a lot of fun. We were about 5th row on the floor right in front of Patrick's drum kit. Two of my daughters and the wife and I. My youngest daughter is such a huge fan that makes it even better.

This show was MUCH better than the previous Black Keys show at the BOK. But, I agree they'd be better at The Brady or the Cain's. In fact, they were. I've seen them twice at Cain's. The 2nd show was one of the top 5 shows I've been to.

FYI: St Vincent was awful. I've never seen such blatantly faked guitar in such a venue. The robot chick schtick wore me slick by song #2.

Originally posted by MegaPoke:
We completely skipped the opener. Good seats though. 5 rows up from the floor on stage left, close to the stage.
We weren't far from you then. We were on the floor about 5 rows from the front on the left hand middle side.

I saw them on the tour they did right after they released thickfreakness. There were maybe twenty people there. One of the best shows I've ever seen and I had no idea who they were at the time. Every time they came back to town they kept getting bigger and bigger. I'd never pay to see them in an arena show though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT