ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 preseason rankings on Flo

TheJimReaper

Starter
Aug 23, 2018
Oklahoma
If you don't have a Pro subscription, I'll list where our guys are ranked.

Picc is number 1 at 125
Daton is 2 at 133
Kaid is number 1 at 141
Boo is first at 149
Andrew Shomers is first at 157
Jojo is number 1 at 165
Rogers is 1 at 174
Jacobe is number 1 at 184
Preston is 3rd at 197
And Derek is first at HWT.

Preston being behind Miklus is understandable-he lost that match last year.

But, he beat Holschlag twice last year if I recall correctly.

If Preston can stay healthy is the class of the conference and has finalist potential.

Will be real interesting to see where Daton ends up. I think he is the clear #2 guy in the country at either 125 or 133 (Suriano & Micic would disagree at 133) and I'm not sure yet which returning champ I think Daton would have the best chance to beat.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
If Preston can stay healthy is the class of the conference and has finalist potential.

Will be real interesting to see where Daton ends up. I think he is the clear #2 guy in the country at either 125 or 133 (Suriano & Micic would disagree at 133) and I'm not sure yet which returning champ I think Daton would have the best chance to beat.
I think he would have a better chance against Gross than Lee. But both are killers on top. Daton would have to win the takedowns and it would be great if he is working on the down position and really improved.

I think he would have a better chance against Gross than Lee. But both are killers on top. Daton would have to win the takedowns and it would be great if he is working on the down position and really improved.
I can almost bet he hasn't spent too much time working top/bottom folk, with Jr. Worlds on their way. Almost bet, because I have all my extra money potentially committed elsewhere :(. I think maybe i need more extra money.

I can almost bet he hasn't spent too much time working top/bottom folk, with Jr. Worlds on their way. Almost bet, because I have all my extra money potentially committed elsewhere :(. I think maybe i need more extra money.
I think you are right and it would be smart bet.

His focus has no doubt been freestyle but there are plenty of training hours in a long summer and two of his workout partners are very good top wrestlers (Picc and G).

But it does bring up a good point in that both Spencer and Gross will have a leg up focusing strictly on folk this fall.

Fix is such a small 133 pounder, and Gross is huge. I’d think he’d have a better chance against Lee just because of the size advantage Gross would have.

After listening to Flo last week, and now KJ and Daton yesterday, it sounds like maybe Daton would like to try going 125. And the coaches think it would better for him (and the team) if he goes 133.

The timing is not great either. He is on the small side for 133 right now, but he can't work on getting bigger yet because he is Gilman's backup for Worlds next month. So he potentially needs to make 57 kg on short notice. Then on 11/17 & 11/18 we have Gross and Lizak on the schedule. Maybe that's why we are hearing rumors of a second semester switch with Picc? Start the year with Daton/Picc and then let them work on making the transition.

Reactions: osu2082
Fix is such a small 133 pounder, and Gross is huge. I’d think he’d have a better chance against Lee just because of the size advantage Gross would have.

Fix wouldnt be a big 133 by any stretch but with a season focusing on it he wouldn't be a small one either. Gross gives up legs and has shown to vulnerable (to a degree) to guys who constantly attack which is why I think Fix scores on him and could hit a handful of TD's.

Lee is much harder to score on and is an animal on top.

At Daton's current size, I'm gonna have to go with Spencer Lee as the better matchup. Gross does allow people to get in on his legs, but he's long and very hard to finish on. Kinda like Askren (wish Andrew Marsden could train with Askren and learn some of those scrambling techniques). Gross sold me in his match with Bryce Meredith. Meredith is a big, talented 141 pounder and Gross was right there with him while giving up 8 pounds.

Related question, let's say Daton works with Gary Calcagno to really add the strength and size for 133 (like NaTo did). How do you think he would then do at 61 kg against guys like Nahshon Garrett and Joe Colon? I think he could make the senior world team. And how would he do internationally at 61 kg?

Crazy plan that won't happen:

2019 -- cowboy bulk job up to 133, wrestle 61 kg
2020 -- Olympic redshirt year, shrink down to 57 kg
2021-23 -- bulk up again and wrestle 133 and 61 kg
2024 -- post grad, shrink back down to 57 kg and stay there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT