ADVERTISEMENT

bicycles

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone ride a bike regularly for health and fitness or recreation? I used to ride a lot but gave it up while my kids were really small but have been riding again for about a year. I just bought a gravel bike and am about to begin commuting to work a couple times a week.

Anyone else riding?

Me Too!
DP0616201717125615M

Reactions: panhndlpoke
Anyone ride a bike regularly for health and fitness or recreation? I used to ride a lot but gave it up while my kids were really small but have been riding again for about a year. I just bought a gravel bike and am about to begin commuting to work a couple times a week.

Anyone else riding?
Mountain bike on a Rocky Mountain Instinct almost daily during the season and have a Bowflex C6 to train during the winter when I’m not skiing.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Resurrect it from the dead!!

I’m still riding as much as I can. Bought my twins their first legit mountain bike this fall. My daughter says she doesn’t want to go but my son is pretty excited. They’re twins and I don’t know if I could handle two at one time, hence the single mountain bike.

I recently bought a new Trek Stache to move to a fatter tire bike from a pretty old custom bike that couldn’t handle the fat tires I have grown to prefer. Also found some Enve hoops for the Stache on sale during the Christmas season. Can’t wait to mount the new carbon wheels on the Stache. I’ll shed something like 600 grams of rolling weight.

How do you like your Rocky Mountain?

Resurrect it from the dead!!

I’m still riding as much as I can. Bought my twins their first legit mountain bike this fall. My daughter says she doesn’t want to go but my son is pretty excited. They’re twins and I don’t know if I could handle two at one time, hence the single mountain bike.

I recently bought a new Trek Stache to move to a fatter tire bike from a pretty old custom bike that couldn’t handle the fat tires I have grown to prefer. Also found some Enve hoops for the Stache on sale during the Christmas season. Can’t wait to mount the new carbon wheels on the Stache. I’ll shed something like 600 grams of rolling weight.

How do you like your Rocky Mountain?

I love my Rocky Mountain and almost bought their downhill bike but may do a more Enduro style bike in a few years. My brother is getting his boys into riding now too which is a good age to get them going. Classes and clubs here start at 2 which I think is too young but those little shits can ride. I’m still doing the stationary because the only trails without snow are an hour away but one of my employees just got a new Yeti so we may swing down there some weekend.

Yeah, my kids haven’t ridden the new bike yet because we just got it, weather, and I had Covid. I’m on the trainer but hoping the dry lasts for a little while and I can get some days riding.

I asked about your bike because they have some really affordable bikes spec’d pretty well. I’ve never ridden one but consider them a great value.

Yeah, my kids haven’t ridden the new bike yet because we just got it, weather, and I had Covid. I’m on the trainer but hoping the dry lasts for a little while and I can get some days riding.

I asked about your bike because they have some really affordable bikes spec’d pretty well. I’ve never ridden one but consider them a great value.
They’re good bikes and what the mountain uses for their rentals so they’re pretty sturdy. Depending on where you are riding I would go with at least the 70 series bikes, mine has the Fox 34 but the Enduro bike I want get I want at least Fox 38s. Riding out here can require a little more fork.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
SW Colorado, Phil’s is just East of Cortez and about 50 minutes from where I live.
Roger that, but we don't make it that way often. We are looking for a vacation spot for this summer and camping/mountains is on the table. I think the kids/wife would prefer the beach but we haven't made any plans yet. How busy is the area? is it just swamped with people?

Roger that, but we don't make it that way often. We are looking for a vacation spot for this summer and camping/mountains is on the table. I think the kids/wife would prefer the beach but we haven't made any plans yet. How busy is the area? is it just swamped with people?
This year was pretty bad but it’s normally not like that. I’m probably a little biased but this is by far my favorite part of Colorado if not the whole country. Great skiing, fly fishing, hiking, and world class mountain biking. It’s not uncommon to have and Olympic or World Cup rider just fly by you on trails. We’re also right next to one of the largest wilderness areas in the lower 48. We also have (or had we’ll see after Covid) more restaurants per capita than San Francisco. Truly is a fantastic place to live but the summers do get a little busier with tourist coming in. The resort was full of Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico last week.

We have a place in Angel Fire NM and it was pretty quiet until August when Quarantine Fatigue set in and everyone decided to go to the mountains. All the things you mention are stuff I love to do, but wife and kids want to sit in the sand some too. I would like to explore your area a little as we've been looking at Wyoming, too. Cortez is a hell of a lot closer, though.

We have a place in Angel Fire NM and it was pretty quiet until August when Quarantine Fatigue set in and everyone decided to go to the mountains. All the things you mention are stuff I love to do, but wife and kids want to sit in the sand some too. I would like to explore your area a little as we've been looking at Wyoming, too. Cortez is a hell of a lot closer, though.
We’re actually in Durango. I’ve never been to the bike park at Angel Fire but I’ve heard amazing things. We did a trip to Jackson Hole and Bozeman this summer and that country is AMAZING, I got to fish the section of the Gallatan that they filmed the last scene of A River Runs Through It was filmed.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
We’re actually in Durango. I’ve never been to the bike park at Angel Fire but I’ve heard amazing things. We did a trip to Jackson Hole and Bozeman this summer and that country is AMAZING, I got to fish the section of the Gallatan that they filmed the last scene of A River Runs Through It was filmed.
I haven't ridden AF's bike park in a long time. I'll ride trails around and with my son and daughter but nothing much more than gravel paths. My friends that ride AF love it and it has a good reputation. My cousin from Dallas is an avid cyclist who has for many many years headed to the Vail area. He claims all his friends who used to wander into Colorado for their yearly mountain biking trip have pretty much stopped at AF. It's much closer, less expensive, and has really good trails. The bike park is supposed to be pretty nice, but the area has a lot of miles of trails that are not part of the park.

The "Enchanted Circle", Angel Fire, Taos, Red River, and Eagle's Nest are pretty decent general area to hang. Everything is a little smaller than Colorado, but it's still nice.

I made a trip up to Dillon, MT back in college to fish the Madison river. Great fishing. I can't wait for all my kids to get older so I can get them fly fishing. It's hard to take off for a day of fishing and leave my wife with 3 kids 6 years old or younger. I feel too guilty. Luckily, across the street from our cabin in AF is the a small lake owned by AF resort. We can walk over with some poles and go fish for 30 minutes, go home. Come back. Go home. Drink juice boxes. Cry when someone else catches a fish. You get the drill. It's pretty handy.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
I haven't ridden AF's bike park in a long time. I'll ride trails around and with my son and daughter but nothing much more than gravel paths. My friends that ride AF love it and it has a good reputation. My cousin from Dallas is an avid cyclist who has for many many years headed to the Vail area. He claims all his friends who used to wander into Colorado for their yearly mountain biking trip have pretty much stopped at AF. It's much closer, less expensive, and has really good trails. The bike park is supposed to be pretty nice, but the area has a lot of miles of trails that are not part of the park.

The "Enchanted Circle", Angel Fire, Taos, Red River, and Eagle's Nest are pretty decent general area to hang. Everything is a little smaller than Colorado, but it's still nice.

I made a trip up to Dillon, MT back in college to fish the Madison river. Great fishing. I can't wait for all my kids to get older so I can get them fly fishing. It's hard to take off for a day of fishing and leave my wife with 3 kids 6 years old or younger. I feel too guilty. Luckily, across the street from our cabin in AF is the a small lake owned by AF resort. We can walk over with some poles and go fish for 30 minutes, go home. Come back. Go home. Drink juice boxes. Cry when someone else catches a fish. You get the drill. It's pretty handy.
Haha, my brother has three young boys and his fishing stories give me nightmares. I do plan on hitting up AF to ride soon, one of my employees went down this summer and said the park was incredible. We’re pretty lucky when it comes to fishing, the Animas River’s gold medal section runs through town and about 200 yards from my office. The San Juan quality waters which is easily a top ten fishery in the US is less than an hour away and we have all the mountain streams to fish as well. Probably is always which activity do you pick.

Haha, my brother has three young boys and his fishing stories give me nightmares. I do plan on hitting up AF to ride soon, one of my employees went down this summer and said the park was incredible. We’re pretty lucky when it comes to fishing, the Animas River’s gold medal section runs through town and about 200 yards from my office. The San Juan quality waters which is easily a top ten fishery in the US is less than an hour away and we have all the mountain streams to fish as well. Probably is always which activity do you pick.
My family had a place up by Buena Vista when I was little. Fishing up there was awesome. Had a creek in the back yard and plenty of great water within a short drive. I miss that place.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
OnTulsaTime, yearly we do our trip to the Mecca, for us it's Creede, but have come to look a lot at Pagosa Springs for a summer home/desination. Wonderful area thereabouts. We need to continue on to Durango, as it's been since college that I've been there.

Speaking of Bikes, for hunting, they have come a long way with the electric enhanced bikes now. Tempting to do vs driving a noisy 4 wheeler to near the stand. At my lease, I drive from our camp usually 3/4 mile to where I park and walk another quarter or more to the stand. some serious elevation changes in that space so e-the bike might be just the ticket.

Speaking of Bikes, for hunting, they have come a long way with the electric enhanced bikes now. Tempting to do vs driving a noisy 4 wheeler to near the stand. At my lease, I drive from our camp usually 3/4 mile to where I park and walk another quarter or more to the stand. some serious elevation changes in that space so e-the bike might be just the ticket.
Still a weird (but kind of understandable) hate thing with the ebikes here and they’re not allowed on most in town trails but you can do whatever you want on BLM land.

I actually have a friend here locally that got an ebike with a gun rack on it. He hunts out of it. Best thing is that it’s quiet.

Still a weird (but kind of understandable) hate thing with the ebikes here and they’re not allowed on most in town trails but you can do whatever you want on BLM land.

I don't mind some exercise, but when I'm bowhunting, I'm trying not to break a sweat going to the stand, so the ebike would make sense in that regard. I can readily see why mnt bikers would like things kept for trad mtn bikes.
I feel the same way about the use of Crossguns in archery season.

I don't mind some exercise, but when I'm bowhunting, I'm trying not to break a sweat going to the stand, so the ebike would make sense in that regard. I can readily see why mnt bikers would like things kept for trad mtn bikes.
I feel the same way about the use of Crossguns in archery season.
Hikers don’t like them either, can’t really hear them coming around turns. I do have a crossbow but for Turkey only, it’s totally cheating but I wanted one for zombies too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT