ADVERTISEMENT

Best Western (not the hotel chain) you have seen

Actually been watching a ton of Westerns lately.

Any of the Sergio Leone movies (no name trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West)
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
True Grit (either work but I probably prefer the newer one)
Rio Bravo
Young Guns (don't get me wrong, these will make no one else's list but I have a soft spot for them because I watched them so much when I was little).
Hell or High Water (not a traditional western but basically one set in modern times)

Good call on Hell or High Water. Fantastic film. Everything Sheridan does is top notch.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Actually been watching a ton of Westerns lately.

Any of the Sergio Leone movies (no name trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West)
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
True Grit (either work but I probably prefer the newer one)
Rio Bravo
Young Guns (don't get me wrong, these will make no one else's list but I have a soft spot for them because I watched them so much when I was little).
Hell or High Water (not a traditional western but basically one set in modern times)

Great list. Assassination of Jesse James was one that the first viewing I liked it but didn't love it. Now I think it's absolutely fantastic. Agree on Hell or high Water, excellent movie. I still count No Country as an untraditional western and it's in my all time top 5 in any genre.

Couple not mentioned yet

Lonesome Dove (obviously)
The Wild Bunch (ground breaking movie)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (notice a Peckinpah trend)

Reactions: capanski
Couple not mentioned yet

Lonesome Dove (obviously)
The Wild Bunch (ground breaking movie)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (notice a Peckinpah trend)

Couple of weeks ago I watched Major Dundee that Peckinpah did with Charlton Heston and Richard Harris. Wasn't bad. Didn't love it or anything but Peckinpah is always interesting.

Great list. Assassination of Jesse James was one that the first viewing I liked it but didn't love it. Now I think it's absolutely fantastic. Agree on Hell or high Water, excellent movie. I still count No Country as an untraditional western and it's in my all time top 5 in any genre.

Was the same on Jesse James. Watched it when it came out and thought it was fine. Watched it a couple of months ago and was blown away. No County should definitely make the list. If it is on, I'm watching it.

Reactions: ExileOnPerkinsSt.
The series Yellowstone.
From a western point of view I couldn't disagree more. The lunacy of this series in a real life sense is off the charts. In one episode a toddler heel stomps an 8' rattler in a culvert, some "rancher" pulls a calf in the middle of 10k acres while cow is just standing there and then said calf hits the ground running. For every one of these stupid fallacies there are a hundred others. Other than Costner's sister and the mountain scenery I don't know why this got the praise it didn't deserve.

From a western point of view I couldn't disagree more. The lunacy of this series in a real life sense is off the charts. In one episode a toddler heel stomps an 8' rattler in a culvert, some "rancher" pulls a calf in the middle of 10k acres while cow is just standing there and then said calf hits the ground running. For every one of these stupid fallacies there are a hundred others. Other than Costner's sister and the mountain scenery I don't know why this got the praise it didn't deserve.
The calf scene was so wrong it kind of ruined everything else. Can’t believe there wasn’t someone involved with the show that could say “uh this isn’t really how this goes at all”

The naked sister , as good as she looks is wrong not because she walks around naked in front of the ranch hands but she gets naked in front of her brother. This does not happen...period!

The man who shot liberty valance
High noon
The magnificent seven
Hondo
Chisholm
The good the bad and the ugly
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid
Stagecoach
The outlaw Josey Wales
Shane
True grit

Reactions: ExileOnPerkinsSt.
5 that I have watched over and over again (can't believe that 3 of these have not been mentioned yet)

3:10 to Yuma (Russel Crowe version)
Silverado (yeah, it's campy, but I still love it)
True Grit (new version)
Dances with Wolves
Open Range

Open Range exceeded my expectations when I first saw it. The gunfight at the end is fantastic.

Open Range exceeded my expectations when I first saw it. The gunfight at the end is fantastic.

I especially like that fight because it seems realistic. Guys are taking a bunch of shots and missing before they finally hit their target. Costner decides to break through the wall to get to one of the guys who is running away, and it is hard for him to break through and he looks really awkward doing it.

5 that I have watched over and over again (can't believe that 3 of these have not been mentioned yet)

3:10 to Yuma (Russel Crowe version)
Silverado (yeah, it's campy, but I still love it)
True Grit (new version)
Dances with Wolves
Open Range

I especially like that fight because it seems realistic. Guys are taking a bunch of shots and missing before they finally hit their target. Costner decides to break through the wall to get to one of the guys who is running away, and it is hard for him to break through and he looks really awkward doing it.

As far as westerns made in the last 10-20 years, Open Range is my favorite.

It wasn’t over the top or pretentious. Just good acting and cinematography.

I watched the Long Riders as a kid with my dad and loved it. Watched it in college and it was a little bit ridiculous. Still my favorite, though.

The series Yellowstone.
One of my neighbors made a brief appearance in last week’s episode. Good to see he didn’t screw up his line. Pretty fun to see that. A classmate of my wife’s has had a couple of background appearances as well. Somebody told me one of the writers lives about 5 miles from us, but I don’t know him.

Yellowstone is good and terrible all at the same time. This season is the worst. I died laughing when the were worried about their cattle getting messed with and said they were the only thing keeping the ranch going. There were like 14 cowboys out there with 80 head of cattle in the shot. Most of the show is so unrealistic it’s comical.

Reactions: Dally1up
Outlaw Josey Wales
McClintock
Silverado
Rio Bravo
Unforgiven
My Darling Clementine
Tombstone
High Noon

I will watch any of them any time they are on.

The Cowboys
True Grit (new version)
Unforgiven
Young Guns
Deadwood (western?)
Godless
Hell on Wheels (western?)
Yellowstone (it's entertaining but no where close to reality and Kelly Rielly gets nekkid)
Any Clint Eastwood western
Tombstone

Reactions: Been Jammin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT