ADVERTISEMENT

Best deer season ever in Oklahoma..... wow

Hi guys. Well, I think this was by far the quietest deer season on this forum I can remember. Anyone willing to share how you did/how your season went?

I primarily bowhunt these days, often with primitive (long bow). I did get drawn for McAlester but family obligations kept me from being free to go, however I spent the following week at the ranch where I hunt, so I got about 9 days total of bowhunting in (over three trips). I saw some impressive deer and even more impressive deer on trailcams. I ended up only getting shots at bucks that were "average" in size. That's the way it goes sometimes, so I shot two bucks with my bow, both 10 pointers.

By the way, The most big buck activity I saw from trailcams was in late October, when the bucks were finding and marking out territory just prior to the rut. I'll hunt the rut next year, of course, but I'm going to focus more (than I did this year) on that last week of Oct (usually Muzzleloader season in OK) and first week in November.
I keep a hunting journal, and looking back over the past 35 years of bowhunting, I've shot more bucks aroung the week of Oct 17-25 than any other time. Not the biggest bucks, but I attribute it to the amount of action you see. The biggest bucks I've bagged have been during the rut, (though later in the rut, I see fewer bucks, as I think they keep hot does on lockdown until bred in areas we don't normally think to hunt, to avoid other bucks). Thoughts?

On my land, we have a separate acreage next door with a small loafing shed and pond. It's in a valley, and all day long there's a herd of deer that just hang out there since myself and my neighbor aren't really hunting this season. He's got a doe I think one day, but mostly we have both been busy.

My deer feeder closer to my house is like a buffet table for the deer, I have counted 15-20 milling around there on some nights. There's about 30 deer In the adjacent field right now, just grazing away.

I have a small buck that actually walks up when I'm shooting targets off my balcony. He just stands there and watches me, sometimes he will lay down about 15 yards from me and just watch. My wife named him Rudy, and he's protected since my wife would castrate me if I were to take a shot at him lol.

I wish it were easier to post pics now, I could take some pretty cool pics of these deer when they are all hanging out. The little ones are getting so used to my shooting near the house, they really just perk up and watch me, they rarely ever run off.

Reactions: Rdcldad
It seems their behavior really changes between years 2.5 and 4.5, as least on our place. Fall is my favorite time of year with football, world series, hunting seasons of various kinds, etc. Already thinking of next fall and how I'll approach the hunts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT