ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Boone (PSU) transferring to OSU

Air_Thurman

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2003
Honestly don't know anything about him. Looks like he was a solid recruit.

PFB

HIGH SCHOOL / PERSONAL:
Ada, Mich., native graduated from Lowell High School...Boone led Lowell High School to four state titles...Won four individual Michigan state championships himself...Also wrestled for the Simmons Academy of Wrestling in Lansing, Mich. ...Has four younger brothers (Jared, Trevor, Dylan, Cody) and one younger sister (Kilee).

This was from the Penn State Roster. I have no idea how he did at Fargo, but winning 4 state titles in Michigan. The roster says he wrestles 157, but he might have been behind Brady Berge for 2 more years.

Reactions: oscowboys
Apparently there have been three four time Michigan champs.
With one graduating this year named Stoney Buell.

Stoney Buell​

The Dundee senior can become just the third Michigan wrestler to win four individual and four team state championships this season, joining Davison's Brent Metcalf (2002-05) and Lowell's Austin Boone (2017-20).

Apparently there have been three four time Michigan champs.
With one graduating this year named Stoney Buell.

Stoney Buell​

The Dundee senior can become just the third Michigan wrestler to win four individual and four team state championships this season, joining Davison's Brent Metcalf (2002-05) and Lowell's Austin Boone (2017-20).
think the key is the and

Neither Berge nor Verkleren are with PSU anymore.

A lot of PSU fans felt he had a great shot to be the 157 starter next season. There was also some talk about him being able to get down to 149 as well. PSU does have some highly ranked young guys coming in.

He was the #2 ranked 145 in the country when he committed to PSU. Top 40-50 overall type of recruit. Should have 4 years here and gives us some talent and options in the middle weights.

Pretty good get.

Great news. I’m excited to see how he looks. How many years of eligibility does Sheets have remaining? 2?

Is Beard still at PSU? After bringing in Max Dean I figured he would bolt.

Just FYI.

Voinovich and Boone met twice in high school, splitting results.

Victor beat Boone at Brecksville Holiday tourney during Victors freshman year (Boone soph) in the semifinals. I think it was 3-2 or 3-1. One takedown match.

They met again in the finals at Brecksville Holiday tourney two years later (Victor's junior year, Boone senior). Boone got a very late takedown off Victor's shot to win.

Should be good training partners.

Last edited:
he slots in well at OSU and it seems to be a good get, but you don’t often see wrestlers come from the big schools to OSU or vice versa. They often tend to be journey men or don’t make it to the school at all. But, maybe because he slots in so we’ll at OSU. Hope it works out

Boone transfers to OSU, leaving Penn State​

• Adam Engel, Staff Reporter, @Adamengel9
  • Jul 8, 2021 Updated 20 hrs ago
  • Comments

A new addition.

After Oklahoma State lost two wrestlers to the transfer portal this offseason - Jakason Burks and Daniel Jezik, the Cowboys have added a transfer to the program.

On Thursday, Austin Boone, a 157-pound wrestler, transferred to OSU after spending his freshman season at Penn State according to Seth Duckworth of Pistols Firing.

Boone won four individual state titles and four team titles at Lowell High School in Lowell, Michigan, joining former two-time NCAA champ Brent Metcalf as the only wrestlers to accomplish such a feat.

After signing to PSU as a top-40 recruit in 2020, he trained under the tutelage of Cael Sanderson but didn’t compete in any matches.

In Stillwater, Boone immediately bolsters the depth at 157.

2021 All-American Wyatt Sheets, who is returning for his senior season, is the incumbent starter, but Boone will likely contend with Jalin Harper for the backup spot. Harper won his four starting bouts in January after Sheets tore his left ACL.

Boone will have four years of eligibility at OSU.

sports.ed@ocolly.com

Interesting. Ok, I'll say it, Boone could be a possible 141. He wrestled 145 as a senior. If he's a 149/157 as people have said, that's where Voinovich & Mastro seem to project. Feels like the coaches believe one of the 3 can make 141. Otherwise you're potentially putting a top 40 guy on the bench.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
Interesting. Ok, I'll say it, Boone could be a possible 141. He wrestled 145 as a senior. If he's a 149/157 as people have said, that's where Voinovich & Mastro seem to project. Feels like the coaches believe one of the 3 can make 141. Otherwise you're potentially putting a top 40 guy on the bench.
I hope that you are right, that 1 of these guys can wrestle 41. The Penn. St. forum indicated that the competition at 57 is not easier for the Cowboys versus Penn. St. We have Sheets next year and then Travis Mastrogiavanni after a year in the room and some help bulking up would be Boone's main competition at 157. Voinovich would be his competition at 149. Why would Boone come to Stillwater? Maybe he believes he is better or maybe he has been told Travis doesn't cut any weight at all to wrestle 152. Wrassler I think you have expressed the idea maybe Travis can wrestle 141 by cutting normal weight for a college wrestler. Otherwise giving scholarship money to Boone doesn't seem to be a good move.

A 157lber isn't cutting down to 141. Have we ever seen any issues at 157 - Marsteller, Joe etc.? Has Sheets had any injury issues? It never hurts to have an extra guy at 157, what if the 165 gets injured or moves up to 174? Doubt they had to use much scholarship money plus AJ could always employ the extra to help to sell t-shirts. :)

Reactions: osu2082
I hope that you are right, that 1 of these guys can wrestle 41. The Penn. St. forum indicated that the competition at 57 is not easier for the Cowboys versus Penn. St. We have Sheets next year and then Travis Mastrogiavanni after a year in the room and some help bulking up would be Boone's main competition at 157. Voinovich would be his competition at 149. Why would Boone come to Stillwater? Maybe he believes he is better or maybe he has been told Travis doesn't cut any weight at all to wrestle 152. Wrassler I think you have expressed the idea maybe Travis can wrestle 141 by cutting normal weight for a college wrestler. Otherwise giving scholarship money to Boone doesn't seem to be a good move.
Harley, was wondering where you've been. Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either unless the coaches believe all 3 will start. I still believe Mastro can make 141. I saw a picture recently of both Mastro's together. Didn't look like a 125 & a 157 to me. More like a 15-20 lb difference.

BTW, I didn't see the younger Mastro in the online directory. Anyone know what's up with that? Boone and the other incoming freshmen are registered (everyone except Mastro & Carman).

Also, I think Luke Mechler will have a say about 157 too. Looks like another nice find by the coaching staff.

The little Mastro can probably only hold 125 one more year.

Who knows how guys will grow or develop. Let’s keep bringing in the best talent possible with a decent spread (which is what we are doing) and let the wrestlers figure it out. It’s worked for PSU and that’s who we and everyone else are chasing.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
He should have transferred to Appalachian State in Boone NC. Then he could have told everyone the town was named after his great great Grandfather Dan'l Boone.

For those of you who don't remember;
Dan'l Boone was a man - yes a big man
With an eye like an eagle and as tall as a mountain was he!!

Reactions: Mr.OSU
He should have transferred to Appalachian State in Boone NC. Then he could have told everyone the town was named after his great great Grandfather Dan'l Boone.

For those of you who don't remember;
Dan'l Boone was a man - yes a big man
With an eye like an eagle and as tall as a mountain was he!!
Prob couldn't make the cut to 157. ;)

Reactions: lookleft goright
The little Mastro can probably only hold 125 one more year.

Who knows how guys will grow or develop. Let’s keep bringing in the best talent possible with a decent spread (which is what we are doing) and let the wrestlers figure it out. It’s worked for PSU and that’s who we and everyone else are chasing.

Disagree. We can't operate like PSU because no one can. We have to be smart with scholly $.

Rob Koll commented on PSU's ridiculous recruiting and mentioned they have $9 million in RTC assets. Cornell is 2nd with $1.6 million. That allows PSU to go after #1 PFP Kerkvliet to replace top 20 PFP Nevills, and a finalist like Dean to replace top 20 PFP Beard. They tried to do the same with Wick replacing Joe Lee. No other school has the $ to correct recruiting "mistakes" like they do.

This isn't a knock on Boone either. He may turn out to be star. Who knows. But we need to be careful about who we target. Besides Voinovich, Mastro, & Boone, we likely also have $ tied up in Balmeceda, another 149/157 guy who was top 25 coming out of HS.

Disagree. We can't operate like PSU because no one can. We have to be smart with scholly $.

Rob Koll commented on PSU's ridiculous recruiting and mentioned they have $9 million in RTC assets. Cornell is 2nd with $1.6 million. That allows PSU to go after #1 PFP Kerkvliet to replace top 20 PFP Nevills, and a finalist like Dean to replace top 20 PFP Beard. They tried to do the same with Wick replacing Joe Lee. No other school has the $ to correct recruiting "mistakes" like they do.

This isn't a knock on Boone either. He may turn out to be star. Who knows. But we need to be careful about who we target. Besides Voinovich, Mastro, & Boone, we likely also have $ tied up in Balmeceda, another 149/157 guy who was top 25 coming out of HS.

That’s true if we think we are being irresponsible with scholarship money? We don’t know that. We don’t know what affect the Voinavichs move to Stillwater has had on his scholarship and tuition situation. We don’t know the academic situations of any of the ones mentioned above.

It’s very possible that some situation made taking Boone a very astute move scholarship allocation speaking. We need more talent. Sure we need to be smart but we also can’t overthink it.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
That’s true if we think we are being irresponsible with scholarship money? We don’t know that. We don’t know what affect the Voinavichs move to Stillwater has had on his scholarship and tuition situation. We don’t know the academic situations of any of the ones mentioned above.

It’s very possible that some situation made taking Boone a very astute move scholarship allocation speaking. We need more talent. Sure we need to be smart but we also can’t overthink it.
Not saying we're irresponsible. I replied to your comment about PSU's recruiting. If a top guy doesn't work out for them, they just get another top guy to replace him. Besides getting Dean and going after Wick, they also made a play for Shane Griffith this off-season. We don't have that luxury.

My point about Boone was that I would think the coaches view him as a starter. Same with Voinovich & Mastro. Top 40 guys usually aren't brought in for depth. Now the challenge is fitting them in the lineup. Somebody needs to go 141 or 165.

Not saying we're irresponsible. I replied to your comment about PSU's recruiting. If a top guy doesn't work out for them, they just get another top guy to replace him. Besides getting Dean and going after Wick, they also made a play for Shane Griffith this off-season. We don't have that luxury.

My point about Boone was that I would think the coaches view him as a starter. Same with Voinovich & Mastro. Top 40 guys usually aren't brought in for depth. Now the challenge is fitting them in the lineup. Somebody needs to go 141 or 165.
So how much did he cost?

Don't think you understand what's been going on.
Explain it then.. How are they cheating, and how do we start doing it? Its sad that a school of Oklahoma States status in wrestling is doing what we are doing. We can't stay healthy, we aren't that competitive at Nationals anymore and it seems like we have to many guys who project at one or two weights and can't cut it anywhere.

Explain it then.. How are they cheating, and how do we start doing it? Its sad that a school of Oklahoma States status in wrestling is doing what we are doing. We can't stay healthy, we aren't that competitive at Nationals anymore and it seems like we have to many guys who project at one or two weights and can't cut it anywhere.
Why would we want to? :(

Why would we want to? :(
I don't care if Penn State has 100 X the money we have there is still a scholarship limit so what they can do is spend more on their RTC and their coaches. All of our scholarships are vested so scholarship wise we have as much as them. If they are spending it on funding wrestlers over and above the scholarship level then they are doing it illegally. At least that is my take on the situation.

I don't care if Penn State has 100 X the money we have there is still a scholarship limit so what they can do is spend more on their RTC and their coaches. All of our scholarships are vested so scholarship wise we have as much as them. If they are spending it on funding wrestlers over and above the scholarship level then they are doing it illegally. At least that is my take on the situation.
Thats why is called "cheating." :(

I listen to this all the time on the Iowa board also. I just think that PSU has the money and they are the HOT spot right now. It used to be OSU and then it was Iowa and now it is PSU. In the future it will be somewhere else. the thing they can do is make mistakes and recover.

They can talk 2 or 3 top kids into coming and then if someone gets beaten out they can leave or they can stay. They can offer less money to each kid because they have the partners and everything else that makes it appealing to go there. That does not seem like cheating as much as it seems like "money talks".

Maybe there is a lot of things going on that are illegal, but all we ever hear is they are cheating with no solid evidence. It is kind of like Russian interference, but no one ever said exactly what the interference was.

I guess it depends on what people consider "cheating". I tend to look it at like this now...are schools giving college guys (& recruits) $ while still in college vs. are they promising $ post college. Are they both cheating? Both are against current NCAA rules. But interestingly, in today's RTC landscape, virtually every top school appears to be at least "implying" $ post graduation.

Since RTC’s are separate from schools can they pay an athlete to promote them within the NIL?

I do not think that PSU is cheating, but they are taking an aggressive stance on what can be done with their RTC and jobs. I think your Russian interference is a poor reference as we all know the Russians had active bots posting items on social media for one candidate and negative about another.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I do not think that PSU is cheating, but they are taking an aggressive stance on what can be done with their RTC and jobs. I think your Russian interference is a poor reference as we all know the Russians had active bots posting items on social media for one candidate and negative about another.
I do not want to get into a political discussion here, but preferring a candidate and letting that be known does not seem like interference. I mean - look at the news. The mainstream media prefers one candidate and it is obvious and the conservative media prefers another candidate and they make it obvious. Is that interference?

As a side note. I am not exactly sure what an active bot is. But this is still a free country (to some degree) and supporting one person or one person's point of view is still legal. If the person supporting you happens to be from another country - I am not sure that is interference. You may not like it, but it seems like fair game to me.

There are laws against foreign entities or individuals from engaging in US elections. Putin should not have a say in whom gets elected in the US. A bot is a program that creates and publishes content on social media without a human doing the work.

I do agree with you that PSU is not cheating, but their use of the RTC would be a problem if it were football or basketball. John Smith will not do this and I doubt the Brands would either.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT