ADVERTISEMENT

Attorney/Legal Help - Me vs Big Oil

TheLemonadeMan

2nd Team
Dec 19, 2007
Ok, I have a question for my legal professional friends here.

I live in rural Kingfisher county. We only have a water well, no access to rural water now or in the foreseeable future. An energy company has proceeded to build a giant pond/hole. 1,000 ft long and 250' wide, still going down so I don't know how deep it will be yet. They are going to drill a water well, and flood it. From my small brain, and at a conservative depth of 10 foot, we are talking about over 18 million gallons of water if they just fill it once.

I'm concerned about the water table and my sole source of drinking water to my home. This well/pond is located about 2,000-2,500 foot from my house, on the same quarter of land that my home sits on.

Do I have my options? Or just bend over and hope it all works out?

Wish I had something for you....not an area in which I have any experience.

Not a lawyer, but I would first check with my county courthouse to see what is legal with retention ponds and water rights. Hopefully not too many souls have been sold.

Check with the landowner first. See what they have to say. I'm sure there is a lease in place that allows the company to do what they did on that person's land. "Big oil" or "small oil" they have a lot of latitude when it comes to things like this, good or bad. I wish you the best of luck. Not a lawyer, just know enough to be dangerous.

I've heard you can get lightly-scented Vaseline at Walmart that's nearly as effective as Anal-Eze. If the oilfield is moving in, you'd best stock up.

If your concern is a loss or damage to your well, have it tested for gallons per minute and water quality/contaminates/minerals ASAP.

Then you'll have a baseline for comparison in case something "funny" happens to your water after your new neighbors get their little project going.

Originally posted by AggiesBoy:
I've heard you can get lightly-scented Vaseline at Walmart that's nearly as effective as Anal-Eze. If the oilfield is moving in, you'd best stock up.
Damn, did someone drill a well through your living room floor?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT