ADVERTISEMENT

Arcade Games

squeak

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2001
I’m a huge Galaga fan. Considering getting an arcade. Not sure if I should get a new one or a refurbished CRT. Thoughts?

Are the refurbished originals more expensive? Are the new ones crap quality (ie wouldn’t last a week in an old arcade)?

I would love to have one or two....Galaga would be on the short list.

Reactions: squeak
I pulled the trigger on a Ms. PAC-man/Galaga set up with a 57 game multicade. The box is actually not like an original Ms PAC-man/Galaga. Rather, the box is set up with the stick off center to the left and trigger right, just like the original Galaga. The insides are all new parts. I would have preferred the old CRT screen, but from what I was told the new parts will last longer and breakdown less, as would be expected.

Reactions: The Duke
I pulled the trigger on a Ms. PAC-man/Galaga set up with a 57 game multicade. The box is actually not like an original Ms PAC-man/Galaga. Rather, the box is set up with the stick off center to the left and trigger right, just like the original Galaga. The insides are all new parts. I would have preferred the old CRT screen, but from what I was told the new parts will last longer and breakdown less, as would be expected.
That should be good for a solid 2 or 3 weeks of entertainment before you get bored with it and realized there is a reason that gaming platforms come out with new games every couple of months.

Reactions: osu_orangestreak
That should be good for a solid 2 or 3 weeks of entertainment before you get bored with it and realized there is a reason that gaming platforms come out with new games every couple of months.
I disagree our dorm had a pretty great competition one year between all us rooms mates. I can't tell you how many hours I have logged on PAC Man. Never got tired of it and still play it to this day. Games like that are great for keeping the ole steel trap up stairs going.

I’m a huge Galaga fan. Considering getting an arcade. Not sure if I should get a new one or a refurbished CRT. Thoughts?
There’s a machine to can get that includes Galaga and a slew of other vintage games.

I know this because when our new home is finally complete, my wife wants a Ms Pac Man console.

We bought a couple of these about 3 years ago. One was a Galaga/Galaxian combo, and the other was a Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, and a couple of others I rarely play.

I thought it was pretty ridiculous how you had to buy the base as a separate purchase, but I guess since the cabinets aren't full-size that others may not want the extended base, but I digress. We bought them through a Black Friday deal, but I think altogether (the game and base) totaled $475ish.

I haven't had any problems with them, and they were pretty easy to put together. I've seen a few other different brands that include additional games, so you may have better options/more bang for your buck considering the # of games included.

As Been said above...there was definitely a lull after a few weeks of playing them, and weeks have gone by where none of us in the house played them. It's been interesting to see my kids (ages 15 & 18) and their friends give it a single play or two then became completely bored with them. The appeal of the games they're used to is just too strong, I guess (and who could blame them--better graphics, sound, story, immersion, etc.). However, our friends who come over get pretty excited when they see them and definitely get their nostalgia bones tickled. Even so...the novelty of them wears off after about 15-20 minutes.

Arcade 1up company

We bought a couple of these about 3 years ago. One was a Galaga/Galaxian combo, and the other was a Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, and a couple of others I rarely play.

I thought it was pretty ridiculous how you had to buy the base as a separate purchase, but I guess since the cabinets aren't full-size that others may not want the extended base, but I digress. We bought them through a Black Friday deal, but I think altogether (the game and base) totaled $475ish.

I haven't had any problems with them, and they were pretty easy to put together. I've seen a few other different brands that include additional games, so you may have better options/more bang for your buck considering the # of games included.

As Been said above...there was definitely a lull after a few weeks of playing them, and weeks have gone by where none of us in the house played them. It's been interesting to see my kids (ages 15 & 18) and their friends give it a single play or two then became completely bored with them. The appeal of the games they're used to is just too strong, I guess (and who could blame them--better graphics, sound, story, immersion, etc.). However, our friends who come over get pretty excited when they see them and definitely get their nostalgia bones tickled. Even so...the novelty of them wears off after about 15-20 minutes.

Arcade 1up company
If you’re any good at Galaga it’s at least a 30 minute commitment. Your friends are loosers.

Seriously, you can’t buy an arcade and get your money’s worth. It’s a white privilege purchase, ask any democrat.

Fun thread. We're likely to move into a larger house in a few years and shortly thereafter I may start looking at getting a pinball machine. An old arcade box would definitely be a lot cheaper though.

Reactions: squeak
My daughter lived in Richardson and my wife, daughter, her boy friend and I would go to Free Play on Belt Line every now and then. I could get my fill spending a few hours in there every so often. Asteroids was my game of choice.

Arcade arrived. All is well except they used the Ms Pac-Man screen so the joystick is center. Wife says she wants it as is for her gameplay.

I opened up the back and it’s amazing how much empty space there is. Looks simple enough to build your own. May have to give it a shot. It’s a far cry from what the old CRT set ups were like.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Arcade arrived. All is well except they used the Ms Pac-Man screen so the joystick is center. Wife says she wants it as is for her gameplay.

I opened up the back and it’s amazing how much empty space there is. Looks simple enough to build your own. May have to give it a shot. It’s a far cry from what the old CRT set ups were like.
If you have any wherewithal around raspberry pi, you could have a decent homemade arcade.

Any experience with bar room shuffle board games? How much maintenance is required to keep them slick? A condo complex In Destin, FL had one in its game room, but it was apparently not maintained because the pucks didn’t slide worth a shiite.

Any experience with bar room shuffle board games? How much maintenance is required to keep them slick? A condo complex In Destin, FL had one in its game room, but it was apparently not maintained because the pucks didn’t slide worth a shiite.
I think you just salt them to make them slick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT