ADVERTISEMENT

AR-15 recs

Pokes15

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2006
I'm currently running a Daniel Defense AR chambered in 6.8 SPC that was my deer/pig rifle (mainly a bow hunter). However, I've been rifle hunting more the last couple of years so I bought a Bergara in 6.5 Creedmoor so the DD juts sits in the safe. It's a fantastic rifle, but its not practical for plinking because the ammo is still expensive and somewhat hard to find. I'm going to sell it and buy an AR in 556. I would just get another DD, but I don't really want to spend $2k for a plinking/pig/coyote gun. I want some thing with a 16" barrel that I can throw my suppressor on that will cycle out of the box without having to mess with the gas block or springs. Thought about piecing together one as well.

Any suggestions? I've looked at the Sig Sauer Tread and Springfield Saint. Also like the look of the Christensen Arms 5five6.

Also, if any of you fellows are in need of what I'm selling, let me know.

Why not buy a different upper in 223/556? I don't think I would want to hunt a pig with a 556 over a 6.8.

But I don't have any real advice to offer.

Why not buy a different upper in 223/556? I don't think I would want to hunt a pig with a 556 over a 6.8.

But I don't have any real advice to offer.
Yeah, I've considered that as well, but then I'm spending another grand for an upper and another grand for optics/mount/etc.

Yeah, I've considered that as well, but then I'm spending another grand for an upper and another grand for optics/mount/etc.
You could sell the upper and buy a new upper keeping the optic. The market is pretty saturated for AR's right now and I don't think the resale value of your AR will be very good. Also, I'd say that while a plinking/coyote/varmints is a great use for a 556 AR, hogs are probably outside of it's best use and just a bit too light.

Personally, if you want a plinking rifle, I would get a good 22LR with a FFP scope and learn to use it to shoot from 50 out to 300 yards. It's super fun and relatively inexpensive, comparatively. I'd look for a bolt action with reasonbly good reviews for accuracy and a decent scope. Set up should cost $1000 more or less. You can spend a lot more or a little less and even very nice rimfire ammo is pretty affordable.

I've killed many a pig with my bolt .223. The 6.8 definitely does a better job, but I don't care if they die where they stand or if they run off and die somewhere else.

I've got a good .22LR that me and my kids shoot around with. It's suppressed. Probably my favorite gun to shoot.

I'll probably just bite the bullet as you suggested and buy a .556 upper....

Reactions: panhndlpoke
I've killed many a pig with my bolt .223. The 6.8 definitely does a better job, but I don't care if they die where they stand or if they run off and die somewhere else.

I've got a good .22LR that me and my kids shoot around with. It's suppressed. Probably my favorite gun to shoot.

I'll probably just bite the bullet as you suggested and buy a .556 upper....
Essentially, I won't shoot if it isnt suppressed. I do believe that learning to use a First Focal Plane scope and dope to adjust your shot is really a great skill to have.

Love this thread. So my BIL who I have hunted with a little more this year uses these AR platforms and I love two of his guns. So question from an idiot who has never dabbled in ARs. Is the deer caliber you all are talking about (6.8) also the 308 Win? I think I want to build a really good pig/deer gun. Pig hunting is getting my blood and I want an AR to add all the cool gadgets they us in this area but I think it would cool to also be able to deer hunt with the same gun.

Love this thread. So my BIL who I have hunted with a little more this year uses these AR platforms and I love two of his guns. So question from an idiot who has never dabbled in ARs. Is the deer caliber you all are talking about (6.8) also the 308 Win? I think I want to build a really good pig/deer gun. Pig hunting is getting my blood and I want an AR to add all the cool gadgets they us in this area but I think it would cool to also be able to deer hunt with the same gun.
No. 308 is a 308. 6.8 SPC is a 223/5.56 necked up to a 6.8 mm.

308 Win chambered AR's are actually AR10's. 223/5.56/6.8 are built on a AR15 platform. They are very similar, but the receiver, bolt carrier, gas block, etc. are all sized specifically for sized cartridge the platform was built to handle. They look essentially the same, except the magazine and magazine well on the AR10 is larger to accommodate the larger cartridge size.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
No. 308 is a 308. 6.8 SPC is a 223/5.56 necked up to a 6.8 mm.

308 Win chambered AR's are actually AR10's. 223/5.56/6.8 are built on a AR15 platform. They are very similar, but the receiver, bolt carrier, gas block, etc. are all sized specifically for sized cartridge the platform was built to handle. They look essentially the same, except the magazine and magazine well on the AR10 is larger to accommodate the larger cartridge size.
Aw I see. So you can build these or have them built in pretty much any caliber you want?

Aw I see. So you can build these or have them built in pretty much any caliber you want?
No, not any caliber. AR15 is for 223/5.56 foot print cartridges while the AR10 is built around 308 Win cartridges. For example, a 260 Remington is essentially a 308 necked down to 260. It’s the exact same case but with a smaller diameter bullet. The 6.8 is just a 5.56 necked up to a 6.8 mm bullet. It’s the exact same case as a 5.56 except the opening for the bullet is larger. The 5.56 and 308 are very different.

This is probably better than I can expplain

And another

No, not any caliber. AR15 is for 223/5.56 foot print cartridges while the AR10 is built around 308 Win cartridges. For example, a 260 Remington is essentially a 308 necked down to 260. It’s the exact same case but with a smaller diameter bullet. The 6.8 is just a 5.56 necked up to a 6.8 mm bullet. It’s the exact same case as a 5.56 except the opening for the bullet is larger. The 5.56 and 308 are very different.

This is probably better than I can expplain

And another
So I like the 308 from reading all this but I see 300 WSM is a caliber can you get this setup in 300 Win Mag? I freaking love my 300 WM.

If you hunt pigs would you do the NATO or Win?

5.56 or 308 for pigs? I wouldn’t choose a 5.56 for pigs. 6.8 is solid, but I really don’t love the 6.8 and I have one. If you’re just wanting to kill a hog, I would think the 450 Bushmaster or 500 Socom would be solid choices but recoil is higher so target acquisition after firing will be dramatically slower. 6.8 would be better for fast shooting multiple targets. 308 would be a good choice and the 308 has about a million ammo choices and it is easy to find and buy. Also, 308 is a very versatile round that would be excellent for deer, hogs, coyotes, and even elk. It’s a heavier recoil caliber though so if fast shooting at multiple hogs is the goal, it probably wouldn’t be the best choice. I’d stick with 6.8.

Also yes, 300 Win Mag is available in an AR style rifle. I have never heard of a 300 WSM being offered, though. I had a 300 WSM and it was an excellent rifle, but I would likely stick with a 300 WM if you already have one. So many ammo choices with the 300 WM. You can get super light rounds that would be nice for deer and rounds that you could target shoot at 1 mile.

Here.
Here
Here

I don’t know if any of the 300 WM AR style rifles are worth a crap, though. I’ve never shot one and am not real into semiautomatic rifles really. I prefer the precision side of shooting and that is impossible to achieve with an AR or any semi, really. Still, it’s a lot of fun to just spray rounds down range at targets for fun and a 223 or 5.56 is a very affordable way to do that.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Your current set up sounds a lot like what I put together for a pig sticker.
LWRC 6.8 SPC with a Surefire SOCOM 68 suppresser. The little can on the bottom right is just a blast diffuser for the mussel break.

AL9nZEUnqPl-v6HmoBiOTzkfkRXQYJIwleUp_y4gB80lc5gEvhml80n1C9YuZm_sKFB5ZOENThD37PGtQBTOFvjjjI85CRzt_MuGRxTKbWsT4e2Ayo8LcxPtME_-eYkFGCIFG8vyVWZLfqaAg75CKUO7qkqk=w3840-h1176-no

5.56 or 308 for pigs? I wouldn’t choose a 5.56 for pigs. 6.8 is solid, but I really don’t love the 6.8 and I have one. If you’re just wanting to kill a hog, I would think the 450 Bushmaster or 500 Socom would be solid choices but recoil is higher so target acquisition after firing will be dramatically slower. 6.8 would be better for fast shooting multiple targets. 308 would be a good choice and the 308 has about a million ammo choices and it is easy to find and buy. Also, 308 is a very versatile round that would be excellent for deer, hogs, coyotes, and even elk. It’s a heavier recoil caliber though so if fast shooting at multiple hogs is the goal, it probably wouldn’t be the best choice. I’d stick with 6.8.

Also yes, 300 Win Mag is available in an AR style rifle. I have never heard of a 300 WSM being offered, though. I had a 300 WSM and it was an excellent rifle, but I would likely stick with a 300 WM if you already have one. So many ammo choices with the 300 WM. You can get super light rounds that would be nice for deer and rounds that you could target shoot at 1 mile.

Here.
Here
Here

I don’t know if any of the 300 WM AR style rifles are worth a crap, though. I’ve never shot one and am not real into semiautomatic rifles really. I prefer the precision side of shooting and that is impossible to achieve with an AR or any semi, really. Still, it’s a lot of fun to just spray rounds down range at targets for fun and a 223 or 5.56 is a very affordable way to do that.
Buddy, that was so informational. I think the reason I love the 300 WM is it is a bolt action. That thing is golden and then I have the 300-savage lever action I like using as my other deer gun. My great granddad shot his first deer with that gun and so did my grandpa. I like it when hunting in wooded areas.

I think I will do the 308 from what you have posted. That sounds like what I would want out of this type of gun. I bet it ends up being a Yote/Hog gun honestly as I can add all the night optics needed.

I also hate buying anything in the same caliber I already own and I will never let my 300 WM go as that was my grandpas gun he took his wolf and moose with in Alaska. He shot his wolf from a plane with that gun. (back in the 60's) I have the pelt and skull on that kill so the gun goes to the boy.

Thanks man you have been very helpful.

Sold the DD 6.8 and got a Stag Arms Stag 15 3G Elite with a 16” bbl. Has a hyper fire comp trigger in it. Just one range trip so far and I really like it. Mid length gas system hasn’t had any issues with my suppressor. Kept my Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 from the 6.8 for now to put on it.

Sold the DD 6.8 and got a Stag Arms Stag 15 3G Elite with a 16” bbl. Has a hyper fire comp trigger in it. Just one range trip so far and I really like it. Mid length gas system hasn’t had any issues with my suppressor. Kept my Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 from the 6.8 for now to put on it.
What caliber?

Nice. I have a 223 AR and it’s fun to plink with. It’s an old bushmaster and not super accurate but it’s a lot of fun to shoot cans

I have 5 lowers. All spikes tactical. How hard is it for a novice to build a gun with the lower and what would be the steps?

I have 5 lowers. All spikes tactical. How hard is it for a novice to build a gun with the lower and what would be the steps?
It isn’t very hard if you have the tools. You’ll need some basic tools and an AR-15 armorer’s wrench (looks like a spanner wrench). You can buy an armorer’s kit but it isn’t necessarily required. I think if you’re committed to building several Ar’s and servicing them, a nice set of tools is worth it. This is more true if you plan on adjustable gas blocks for suppressed fire, breaking stuff down, and trying to ring the utmost accuracy out of the rifle. But you don’t have to.

Reactions: squeak
Also, there are plenty of videos that would do a much better job explaining the build steps than I could.

Panhandle did a great job with his information/descriptions. I'll be looking for an AR10 as well in 308. It's a great all-around and versatile cartridge. Is used extensively for long distance shooting, Ammo is available cheaper and with lots of bullet weights. Actually, a good cartridge to reload if you're into that. I'm wanting to research the most accurate AR-10 platforms, as I still would want to try shooting it out to 600 yds maybe. That should be doable. I'd like to learn to build one as well.

Another vote for the 450 Bushmaster as a hog getter. Really easy to shoot and pokes good sized holes in pigs.

man the actual 308 win gun is harder to find it seems. I think I am sold on this one. I want a thermal scope. I am such a district oner.

Ever time I go to buy one of these they get more expensive. I hope I can launder 2k more out of the funds with out the wife finding out before they ban these things.

BIL showed me one and said the guy has this in stock. I was like yea I love it. Had a thermal scope and everything already. 7k, the scope alone was 3k. Shit I don't know the gun might be 7k alone.

I should have bought more guns in my 20's and 30's.

You can find/build an AR-10 (without a scope) that will do anything you want it to really well for less than $1,500.

I just bought a 308 Win in bolt action. I mean seriously I am lucky to shoot once let alone a whole clip. Probably just save a ton now and buy one in 5.5 or whatever cal that is. I hate this new world with all these weird calibers. I just want 300 savage back. Took the scope off her last night and put it on this new age gun. I will miss the lever action but this one I already tricked out and it will be way better to crawl around the woods with. Plus I got it with the permanent rail on top so changing scoops out from day to night shouldn't be a ton of work. Now I just need a day off to go sight this bitch in at 100 yards so I can get up to the farm and field test it.

Got the 308 sighted in and at 100 yards I have a quarter grouping.

Walter is a smart pig though. Need that toasted soy to bring her in.

I'm looking into getting an AR and had some questions.

I've seen some with .223 caliber and then some with 5.56. I always thought those were the same. Is there a difference?

Also BIL suggested Pametto State Armory for possible purchasing. Anyone have any experience with them? It appears they sell name brands as well as build their own brand.

Thanks for any info.

I'm looking into getting an AR and had some questions.

I've seen some with .223 caliber and then some with 5.56. I always thought those were the same. Is there a difference?

Also BIL suggested Pametto State Armory for possible purchasing. Anyone have any experience with them? It appears they sell name brands as well as build their own brand.

Thanks for any info.
.223 and 5.56 are not the same. They are very close but not the same. 5.56 is pressured higher and you should not shoot 5.56 ammo in a .223 chambered rifle. You can shoot .223 ammo in a 5.56 chambered rifle. If the rifle references “.223 Remington” only as the chambering, do not shoot 5.56 ammunition in it. If it says .223/5.56 or 5.56 NATO you can shoot the 223 ammo in it. If the ammo says 223/5.56, it is actually 5.56 ammo and do not shoot it in a 223 Remington rifle.

To add to the confusion, apparently 223 Wylde is a more accurate chambering that you can shoot as well. If the rifle says 223 Wylde, make sure you double check exactly what ammunition is able to be shot through it. I have a barrel chambered in 223 Wylde but it is sold acknowledging that 223 Rem, 5.56 NATO OR 223 Wylde can all be shot in it. I do not know if all 223 Wylde barrels are the same.

Last edited:
Well that's a lot more confusing than I anticipated. I'll be sure to watch for that.
It’s really not. 99.9% of all AR’s will be 5.56 since that’s the NATO round and what the current military uses. The only thing likely to be 223 only is an older AR (think 20+ years old) or bolt rifles. Everything else will almost assuredly be 5.56 compatible

You know I am sorry I must have clicked something else and thought the first one was priced at almost 2k. I like the first one for the extra money you will like the line of sight if you add optics. I was thinking 2k is almost what I am going to pay for a 308 or 6.5 so it seemed high but the sale price on the Basspro shops doesn't seem awful and out of the two I like the first.

Sorry about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT