ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone bowhunting yet?

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
Has anyone been bowhunting yet? Have any good trailcam pics?

Due to the heat, I've held off, but it's time for me to get in a tree soon. My wife calls me Elmer Fudd.

(I'm excited to use a new bow this season... a Mathews Halon 32, which is shooting well)
Some of my stands where I won't get much over a 20 yd shot, I'll take my longbow.

What's your plans this year?

Last edited:
I went out last Saturday evening. Pretty warm, and wouldn't have been able to do it without my thermacell. Despite the warm temps, I think I had 5 different bucks pass under the stand and several does.

Going next Friday and Saturday. Looks like the weather is still going to be warm. Food plot should be looking real good by then.

We sure need the weather to break and get cooler soon. There will be an abundance of food for them. On the ranch it appears another bumper acorn and persimmon crop. The will still come to corn, but not stay long. Food plots may do better.

I've got deer all over my place. Acorns by the house, I could literally stand off my bedroom balcony and take one out lol. But my wife would be pissed since she doesn't want me baggin the locals...

Finally some cooler weather and I was able to get out last weekend.... first time in the stand this year and I Christened my new Mathews Halon 32 with a 9 point buck. Very average sized but handsome deer. Got a couple on gamecam that got my attention with one likely scoring 160 or better. Will see about him in a few weeks.

I've been out a few times now and decided to target this tall racked chocolate horned buck that has been showing up on camera pretty frequently. He walked out last Friday at 15 yds, only to have broken half his left side off sometime in the 48 hours prior to that... Hopefully he survives through the year and packs on the inches. I'm hoping the rut brings in some new bucks because he was the only shooter I have on camera.

I like dark chocolate colored antlers.... and those that are lighter right on the ends. Just unique.
I am having trouble posting a pic of one deer who's been by a couple of times. Hope to see him in daylight. The most impressive buck has horns so tall they exceed his body depth by about 6 inches, with very good mass and decent width. He will score up there pretty good despite just being a 10 pointer.

Brief Trip report: I camped out and hunted for 5 days last week. It was gorgeous out, except for a day or two of too much wind. Saw lots of buck and doe activity. Really going at it, and they seemed to be everywhere. At different stands, I had two 10 pointers within bow range but never got a clear opportunity to shoot. I'd be out there every day pretty much if I didn't have to work. Good luck to the gun hunters this coming weekend. I might be out with my bow again, as this is a special time of year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT