ADVERTISEMENT

And you thought NIL and the Transfer Portal ruined it. Now the final blow. (Political)

Having had a son that spent 5 years in the system I understand why players felt they were being taken advantage of. Coaches making millions, money they made the schools paying for all the different sports that didn't produce revenue, future medical issue not covered by the schools, not being able to major in what they wanted because it interfered with football, etc, etc. Not saying I agree with that but I understand it. The NCAA opened the door, the players just walked through it.
For example my son had to have his knee scoped last Friday to have bone spurs removed from his knee he injured while playing for OSU. He should have had his knee fixed the beginning of his Junior year but because the O-line was in such bad shape he played on one leg for two years before he had surgery after the win in the Alamo bowl against Colorado. He had calls from several NFL teams to sign as a free agent and have an opportunity to come to training camp but because he had surgery on his knee that would require a year of rehab to get back he missed his window. He also wasn't able to major in what he wanted because it interfered with football.
Don't get me wrong he had a blast, is very thankful for his time at OSU and has no regrets but he is not like some of these kids who think the world owes them something.

Having had a son that spent 5 years in the system I understand why players felt they were being taken advantage of. Coaches making millions, money they made the schools paying for all the different sports that didn't produce revenue, future medical issue not covered by the schools, not being able to major in what they wanted because it interfered with football, etc, etc. Not saying I agree with that but I understand it. The NCAA opened the door, the players just walked through it.
For example my son had to have his knee scoped last Friday to have bone spurs removed from his knee he injured while playing for OSU. He should have had his knee fixed the beginning of his Junior year but because the O-line was in such bad shape he played on one leg for two years before he had surgery after the win in the Alamo bowl against Colorado. He had calls from several NFL teams to sign as a free agent and have an opportunity to come to training camp but because he had surgery on his knee that would require a year of rehab to get back he missed his window. He also wasn't able to major in what he wanted because it interfered with football.
Don't get me wrong he had a blast, is very thankful for his time at OSU and has no regrets but he is not like some of these kids who think the world owes them something.
I'd bet the assistant coaches at Dartmouth salaries don't equal the cost of a year's scholarship to that school that the kids are receiving. The problem NIL, unionization, and all the other crap that's arisen as of late has, is that it assumes all 1100+ NCAA classified institutions can be treated the same.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I'd bet the assistant coaches at Dartmouth salaries don't equal the cost of a year's scholarship to that school that the kids are receiving. The problem NIL, unionization, and all the other crap that's arisen as of late has, is that it assumes all 1100+ NCAA classified institutions can be treated the same.
Very true but the NCAA refused to address the issue. Now we see the handwriting on the wall. I don't know what the solution is but what I do know is College athletics is going to change. It could become better, it could become worse or it could go away completely.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Very true but the NCAA refused to address the issue. Now we see the handwriting on the wall. I don't know what the solution is but what I do know is College athletics is going to change. It could become better, it could become worse or it could go away completely.
Linkage between amateur sports and colleges doesn't exist in Europe.

If players become employees, do they still have to maintain eligibility? Does it (or should it) run out after 5 years? If they are employees, is there a 40 hour week rule? Do class hours count along side your practice and game hours? Can you give out homework or does that need to be paid time too? I assume it would be applicable to all student-athletes, so now the schools will need to provide health care enrollment to every student? If this ruling is upheld and students get classified as employees, you will see sports dropped left and right by schools that already don't make money on these sports. NAIA sports will be gone. Division 2 and 3 will shrink drastically, and even major programs will start shrinking their 'Olympic' sport inventory.

Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
Linkage between amateur sports and colleges doesn't exist in Europe.

If players become employees, do they still have to maintain eligibility? Does it (or should it) run out after 5 years? If they are employees, is there a 40 hour week rule? Do class hours count along side your practice and game hours? Can you give out homework or does that need to be paid time too? I assume it would be applicable to all student-athletes, so now the schools will need to provide health care enrollment to every student? If this ruling is upheld and students get classified as employees, you will see sports dropped left and right by schools that already don't make money on these sports. NAIA sports will be gone. Division 2 and 3 will shrink drastically, and even major programs will start shrinking their 'Olympic' sport inventory.
I don't think it hurts Div 3 at all. They have no money to share before or after all of these changes.

I don't think it hurts Div 3 at all. They have no money to share before or after all of these changes.
Thats the point. Its not about the NIL money. Its about making every athlete an employee and suddenly having to provide worker's comp and insurance to cover the backup volleyball player. Those schools don't have the money for that type of regulation and sports at D3 schools will go by the wayside.

Thats the point. Its not about the NIL money. Its about making every athlete an employee and suddenly having to provide worker's comp and insurance to cover the backup volleyball player. Those schools don't have the money for that type of regulation and sports at D3 schools will go by the wayside.
Gotcha

Hopefully D3 players will see that and not unionize.

We will drop your sport if you unionize should be a simple enough of a theat.

Gotcha

Hopefully D3 players will see that and not unionize.

We will drop your sport if you unionize should be a simple enough of a theat.
If the NLRB approves of it occurring in the OP example, then there won't be anything to stop the unionization train. You're talking about college kids living on campuses that preach the virtues and benefits of today's unions by teachers who are part of said unions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT