ADVERTISEMENT

Airline ‘Preboarding’

The Duke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin TX
as witnessed once again today, a courtesy intended for handicapped passengers has now become the classic parade of visibly healthy and fully mobile individuals too wrapped up in their own utter selfishness to give a piss about those waiting their turns in line.

These people are the worst. Right up there with the handicapped parking assholes. In fact, probably the exact same people. The world revolves around these douchebags.

as witnessed once again today, a courtesy intended for handicapped passengers has now become the classic parade of visibly healthy and fully mobile individuals too wrapped up in their own utter selfishness to give a piss about those waiting their turns in line.

These people are the worst. Right up there with the handicapped parking assholes. In fact, probably the exact same people. The world revolves around these douchebags.

Preach

Coworker fakes a "gout attack" and develops and immediate limp as pre-boarding is announce. Dude has no shame and it is pretty pathetic.

Reactions: OSUIvan
Why the eff does the us not get serious about high speed rail?

One flight I had recently, no joke, had a support pig.

what slays me is that, ONLY service dogs and miniature horses are protected via the ADA. Emotional support animals and Therapy dogs are not, under any circumstance protected under the ADA. The FAA is the only agency that I am aware of that can override the ADA, so it makes no sense how that happens (getting a pig as a "support pig"). I am hoping the ADA steps up and does something real to address this.

Reactions: CBradSmith

The part that drives me crazy is you see one person in a wheel chair and a party of five with him. At the most they should let one person board with them to assist. The rest can wait in line.

The only good thing is Southwest won't let preboarders sit in the exit row. I always pay the $25 for early check in and get an exit row about 75% of the time. At my age and size its worth it. They have also pushed family boarding back to after group A. Family boarding is the same scam. One kid and ten relatives.

Reactions: The Duke
Oh, do we need to talk about the failure that is the California bullet train?

If the United States was run by competent engineers we would have a high-speed train network of no equal in the world.

Since the United States is run by politicians and lobbyists, we don't get to have nice things.
One thing working against that idea is the land mass that is the US. Not disagreeing with your point, just saying that even from an engineering standpoint, that's a big hurdle.

One thing working against that idea is the land mass that is the US. Not disagreeing with your point, just saying that even from an engineering standpoint, that's a big hurdle.

Certainly not comparable to western Europe but sure, it can be done. There are obvious regional routes that are comparable to Europe or Asia (BOS-LGA-IAD corridor, DFW-AUS-HOU triangle, SAN-SFO, etc) and right now all we have are substandard, dangerous Amtrack options that are not efficient nor cost effective.

The airline lobby (headed by Southwest Airlines) are heavily engaged in blocking any high-speed train development in the Texas triangle.....which is predictable but unfortunate.

Why the eff does the us not get serious about high speed rail?

Reasons stated above as well as the fact that this is something people want but nobody wants to pay for. We could have a really decent “medium” speed rail (79-90 mph) system quickly and cheaper than some of these high speed rail proposals, but people aren’t interested in that most places and public officials know that. Amtrak is basically an extension of the federal government and most of their system is simply just there to say that they provide a service or provided because of state subsidies (Oklahoma pays for the Heartland Flyer). There’s a lot of politics involved at all levels and it’s one giant mess to which there is no reasonable solution barring any sort of major upheaval in the political climate, economy, or public perception.

On a similar note - look at the mess that is US 69 between the Red River and McAlester. The amount of traffic that road carries is insane, yet it basically runs through the middle of every town (except Durant) like it always has, with all of the attendant congestion, slow downs, stop lights, etc. It really should be upgraded to Interstate standards, but the Feds won’t pay for it, ODOT is busy trying to push through a bypass of Muskogee, and every city, town, & wide spot that collects speed ticket revenue fights any proposal to do anything about it.

Reasons stated above as well as the fact that this is something people want but nobody wants to pay for. We could have a really decent “medium” speed rail (79-90 mph) system quickly and cheaper than some of these high speed rail proposals, but people aren’t interested in that most places and public officials know that. Amtrak is basically an extension of the federal government and most of their system is simply just there to say that they provide a service or provided because of state subsidies (Oklahoma pays for the Heartland Flyer). There’s a lot of politics involved at all levels and it’s one giant mess to which there is no reasonable solution barring any sort of major upheaval in the political climate, economy, or public perception.

On a similar note - look at the mess that is US 69 between the Red River and McAlester. The amount of traffic that road carries is insane, yet it basically runs through the middle of every town (except Durant) like it always has, with all of the attendant congestion, slow downs, stop lights, etc. It really should be upgraded to Interstate standards, but the Feds won’t pay for it, ODOT is busy trying to push through a bypass of Muskogee, and every city, town, & wide spot that collects speed ticket revenue fights any proposal to do anything about it.

This is why I should be emperor. Crap like this simply wouldn’t exist.

Reactions: CBradSmith

That stretch of 69 is the worst.

Reactions: OSUIvan
I believe that this is the entire basis of Tushka's economy.

They also probably saw what roads like I-40 did to the little towns dependent upon auto travel/tourism...bypassing these towns would hurt a lot of those businesses.

All that said, making a real road is the right thing to do for the majority of the people. Politics is simply a barrier to common sense and progress.

Yep. I think like most reasons the US is behind is due to lobbying. An efficient train system would provide people with options and create competition in the travel industry. It would force the commercial air to improve. Instead they will just toss a shitload of money into lobbyists

Reactions: sbaPoke
I enjoy taking the high speed trains in Europe. They typically go over 200mph. You can fly to London and then train to Paris, Amsterdam, Germany, Italy or wherever and fly back from another country. It would be cool to have this in the US.

Reactions: The Duke
I enjoy taking the high speed trains in Europe. They typically go over 200mph. You can fly to London and then train to Paris, Amsterdam, Germany, Italy or wherever and fly back from another country. It would be cool to have this in the US.

It’s nice when they don’t break down.

In January my Paris to Frankfurt train was supposed to get me there by 9:30pm.

After a cancelled train and mechanical issues, I arrived at 1:30am. Showing up at the customer for training at 8:30a wasn’t very fun.

Hopefully that was an isolated issue because I’ll be taking the train from London to Paris later this week.

After a cancelled train and mechanical issues, I arrived at 1:30am. Showing up at the customer for training at 8:30a wasn’t very fun.

Hopefully that was an isolated issue because I’ll be taking the train from London to Paris later this week.
I’ve been fortunate, I have never had a breakdown. The only issue I have ever had is in Paris since everything is written in French and no English. They are not real helpful but google translate can help you find the right train.

I’ve probably taken trains in 20 or 30 European business trips and have never had any significant delays. You’ll enjoy Eurostar, particularly if you’re in first class.

I’ve been fortunate, I have never had a breakdown. The only issue I have ever had is in Paris since everything is written in French and no English. They are not real helpful but google translate can help you find the right train.

The service agents at Gare de l’Est were not helpful. We were told to get on the next express train without explanation. We were a good 50km on our way before anyone or anything scanned our tickets.

I’ve probably taken trains in 20 or 30 European business trips and have never had any significant delays. You’ll enjoy Eurostar, particularly if you’re in first class.

I’ve taken Eurostar once before. It was a nice ride but the waiting area in St Pancras was super crowded.

We are in the ‘in between’ class where we get a meal but not the late boarding perk.

took eurostar from paris to london and back a few days later. People in the terminal were helpful and no issues on the ride. Going that fast is a bit unbelievable and you can't tell it by looking out the windows...it's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. They must have something out there to scan those tracks and make sure nothing is on them.

Eurostar arrived in Paris an hour late due to switch track malfunction.

United won’t give me my boarding passes. Starting to think I’m snake bitten or something.

Reactions: BluegrassPoke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT