ADVERTISEMENT

Additional year of eligibility

osu2082

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
The D-1 Council has voted in favor of giving additional year of eligibility to winter athletes. It isn’t official yet but looks like it will be.

Means we might not see the mass redshirts that has been talked about and all these guys could get effectively a “free” year this year.

Obviously finances, title 9 and individual institutions will all play a role in what actually plus out.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This also helps a ton of what to do with Fix's weight until he gets back.

This potentially sets up some powerhouse lineups for next year. Iowa and Michigan could really benefit with their senior classes possibly returning. The transfer market could get wild too.

For us, Kaid & Boo returning would solidify 141/149, allowing Voinovich & Mastro to redshirt.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
One factor that all schools will have to deal with if the finances of it all. We know the NCAA will allow an additional year of eligibility but how many years will they allow the scholarship limits to be increased? Its

not just senior scholarships that would possibly be covered again next year but it pushes every athletes window one year longer and in the non-revue sports, playing and projecting the scholarship money is a major headache and part of the whole equation.

Then the big question is what each university decides to fund. Every AD across the country is facing significant budget deficits and so looking to fund an additional 40-80 scholarships is going to be a tough sell.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
So does that means Fix has a chance to be a 4X champion?

Last edited:
The NCAA also said a college does not have to have 6 or more men’s sports to remain DI. So look for several programs to be dropped.

Hawkeye fan here, but I promise that I come in peace.

With the "free year" announcement, who(if any) of your incoming freshman do you forsee getting some mat time?

Will Burks be your 125lbr this year? Do you think that Plott or Ferrari can make it into the lineup? How about Mastro?

Thoughts?

Hawkeye fan here, but I promise that I come in peace.

With the "free year" announcement, who(if any) of your incoming freshman do you forsee getting some mat time?

Will Burks be your 125lbr this year? Do you think that Plott or Ferrari can make it into the lineup? How about Mastro?

Thoughts?

I think it’s very possible Burks could get a run early at 125 until (and if) Fix comes back as there is real talk of him going 125 if and when he does this year in preparation for trials.

I think of the other Ferrari is the one who might be the guy at 197 right out of the gate as Geer and Montavalo have both been considering dropping a weight.

Reactions: jrod65
I think it’s very possible Burks could get a run early at 125 until (and if) Fix comes back as there is real talk of him going 125 if and when he does this year in preparation for trials.

I think of the other Ferrari is the one who might be the guy at 197 right out of the gate as Geer and Montavalo have both been considering dropping a weight.
Yes at 25 I think you wrestle Mastro and Burks at 25 until Fix is eligible. At 33 wrestle Kaid and Reece Witcraft and possibly Mastro if he can't make 25. At 41 wrestle G and Kaid if he can't make 33. At 49 you wrestle Boo. At 57 Sheets and at 65 Wittlake. At 74 you wrestle Montalvo but give Plott some matches even if he can't beat Montalvo but he might be able to. At 84 wrestle Geer and maybe the same situation as 74 with Plott. At 97 likely Ferrari wrestles but could give Surber a match or 2. At Hwt you go Doucet and or Putnam or Harris but I think if he is close to those other guys you give true freshman the experience since Hwt will be a nonfactor at Nationals. Since there won't be opens probably give our young guys experience in some duals this year since they won't lose eligibility. Also our wrestlers should be at juniors or 23 and under in the fall or early winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: _poker_ and jrod65
Got a question related to the discussion in the other thread about Wick and ORSs....

Do you have to be an enrolled student/athlete in order to be granted the extra year? So someone like Streck, if he wrestles this year then he gets another year. But if he doesn't enroll, then his eligibility runs out?

Good interview by Boo. Talks about his injuries, the freshmen, & the coaches. Says this will be his final season of college wrestling - he won't be back for the extra year. About 6 months ago he said he planned to do freestyle after graduation, but he was noncommittal here (John, please keep him at the CowboyRTC).

Good interview by Boo. Talks about his injuries, the freshmen, & the coaches. Says this will be his final season of college wrestling - he won't be back for the extra year. About 6 months ago he said he planned to do freestyle after graduation, but he was noncommittal here (John, please keep him at the CowboyRTC).

I hate that we won’t get a chance to see him against Andrew A of northern Colorado because of covid protocols

Last edited:

I can understand not wrestling next year or wanting classes after 6 years. Getting a Masters degree made sense instead of taking course work towards minors. He needs to do what's right for him but winning a National Championship next year becomes a little harder because as the Orange/Black dual indicated G is no
longer close to Boo as a wrestler. I would imagine our freshman 49/57 wrestlers next year( Mastro and Voinovich) will redshirt with G and Sheets wrestling those weights.

I can understand not wrestling next year or wanting classes after 6 years. Getting a Masters degree made sense instead of taking course work towards minors. He needs to do what's right for him but winning a National Championship next year becomes a little harder because as the Orange/Black dual indicated G is no
longer close to Boo as a wrestler. I would imagine our freshman 49/57 wrestlers next year( Mastro and Voinovich) will redshirt with G and Sheets wrestling those weights.

The title chase will be interesting next year. Iowa could bring back 6 senior starters, Michigan could bring back 4, plus they add Brucki @ 197. Cornell and PSU will be tough. Even so, I'd like to see us go all in and wrestle the best guys, even if they are true freshmen. Sheets will be a big favorite @ 157, but 141 & 149 could be wide open.

The title chase will be interesting next year. Iowa could bring back 6 senior starters, Michigan could bring back 4, plus they add Brucki @ 197. Cornell and PSU will be tough. Even so, I'd like to see us go all in and wrestle the best guys, even if they are true freshmen. Sheets will be a big favorite @ 157, but 141 & 149 could be wide open.
Hopefully Coach Smith can convince Brock and Boo to stay . If not you will have Hone and Voinvich both solid replacements. Hopefully Gfeller gets back on track .

Hopefully Coach Smith can convince Brock and Boo to stay . If not you will have Hone and Voinvich both solid replacements. Hopefully Gfeller gets back on track .

I don’t think it’s likely either stays. Both have been through very long and grueling careers for differing reasons. Kaid was pretty adamant this was it for him and recently Boo has said the same.

We have a top tier blue chip level wrestler on campus in G who we need to develop to the point he can step in at either weight and turn into the wrestler his pedigree pointed to.

VV and the other Mastro are also blue chip level elites recruits. We ought to be able to get one to be in the AA mix as a FR.

Kaid already said he's not coming back? First I heard that.

Ok, if both Kaid & Boo don't return, how about we use the scholly $ earmarked for Haas (grayshirting) and bring in a transfer? Maybe someone like CMU's heavy Matt Stencel. He could wrestle his final year and then stick around and join the CowboyRTC. He'd be a great training partner for Doucet, Surber, Ferrari & Haas.

Reactions: tom_v31

If they want to leave...I'm all for it...these guys are 25 yrs old and have been in school 6 years. Coming back for a 7th year isn't ideal, much less appealing. They're probably ready to move onto the next phase of their lives

Just listened to the media availability from last week and John was asked about Boo's comments. John said he wants the seniors focused on achieving their goals this year and wrestling like it's their last opportunity. Then he added he will be fighting to bring them back.

Reactions: Dugan2035
Boo confirmed yesterday that this is his final year. Would like to see him stick around and do freestyle.

Kaid previously said he was retiring due to the injuries. Geer said about a month ago that he was still undecided.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT