ADVERTISEMENT

a couple other "Making a Murderer" type of films

csh

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
A couple I thought I'd mention

"The Life and Mind of Mark DeFriest"

This one isn't so much about injustice, but rather a sad story of how a guy without a prior criminal record got thrown into jail because he took possession of some tools that his father had willed him, before the probate process had been carried out. Once he got into jail, he started getting into trouble, and having time tacked onto his sentence. He also escaped a couple times, which of course added time. The guy is no angel and has mental issues, but like the movie Shawshank Redemption, he didn't really become a troublemaker until he went to prison. At least that's what this doc seems to pitch. I think it was produced by Showtime.

"The Last Word" (2008)
In Amarillo in the early 80s a mentally impaired man was convicted of a murder and put to death. After his death, I think they got DNA evidence along with a confession to the crime from another prisoner. It' been a while since I watched it, but I don't think there was any suspicion of planting evidence, just a case of the police having "their guy" picked out ahead of time, and working to make sure he had little chance. The trial wasn't even moved out of Amarillo, allegedly at the request of the local news stations to get ratings on their coverage. It's been moved off Netflix, but I think I saw it uploaded on youtube.

It is pretty well known but if you like stuff like Making a Murder, Jinx and Serial there is a miniseries from a few years back called the Staircase that I think was pretty good. It is 8 episodes so it is a little on the long side. Also, if you are into this sort of thing people have seen it but if not West of Memphis is really, really good.

Yeah, I've seen The Staircase, interesting stuff. I can't really see that guy being a murderer, but presuming innocence, what an extraordinary coincidence to have those two events happen to the same guy. I think he's still waiting on his new trial, out on bail.

Also, if you are into this sort of thing people have seen it but if not West of Memphis is really, really good.
Good call on West of Memphis. You sent me down a rabbit hole with that one. I ended up watching the Paradise Lost series of HBO docs that preceded it.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I started Recify on Netflix last week. It's a sun dance series, I believe, on Netflix. The story is about like Avery's. It's a little weird and slow but Abigail Spencer makes it worth watching.
Abigail-Spencer-might-become-a-Hollywood-star-in-2014-1725770058.jpg

Reactions: csh
Rectify is the best show on TV that only about 10 people in America watch. Next season will be the last.

Reactions: csh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT