ADVERTISEMENT

75th Geary Invitational

proud2bpokes

2nd Team
Gold Member
Feb 17, 2002
This tournament is next weekend (Jan 4 & 5). A post on their Facebook page includes “This year the tournament will feature roughly 14 of the top 30 nationally ranked juniors”. Blair will bring Mastro, Ferrari and Mata. Plott, Doucet and Dom Chavez would make six. If true, there would have to be additional out of state teams entering this year.

It was a tough tournament when I was in high school. I won the Geary tournament three times. In third, fifth, and sixth grades. In high school I wrestled two matches as it was double elimination. As a kid that was the biggest event of the year in Geary.

That is pretty amazing that almost half of the top 30 will be there. Outside of PA or OH that seems impossible.

It was a tough tournament when I was in high school. I won the Geary tournament three times. In third, fifth, and sixth grades. In high school I wrestled two matches as it was double elimination. As a kid that was the biggest event of the year in Geary.

That is pretty amazing that almost half of the top 30 will be there. Outside of PA or OH that seems impossible.
Did you ever win the Afton quadrangular?

Reactions: PoOsKuE
Anybody wanting to see Van Ness (#1 @ 132) vs Witcraft (#1 @ 126) will have to get there early. They are bracketed to meet in the 2nd round at 132.

Last edited:
Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Anybody wanting to see Van Ness (#1 @ 132) vs Witcraft (#1 @ 126) will have to get there early. They are bracketed to meet in the 2nd round at 132.
This is assuming Van Ness gets by Army commit Ryder Ramsey in the first round.

Cornell signee and #3 ranked Julian Ramirez faces Northwestern signee and #6 ranked Troy Fisher in the first round also. Plott (#2) is on the opposite side of the bracket of them.

Was looking on FloArena & Track and didn't see anything. I think this is the tournament that doesn't use them for brackets? Anyway...

https://www.gearyschools.org/?template=m
Since this is not on arena and I don't see this tournament covered by track I can't get dashboard, does anyone know the best way to know what matches are coming up in this tournament. Otherwise it is very hard to know who is wrestling.

This is assuming Van Ness gets by Army commit Ryder Ramsey in the first round.

Cornell signee and #3 ranked Julian Ramirez faces Northwestern signee and #6 ranked Troy Fisher in the first round also. Plott (#2) is on the opposite side of the bracket of them.
Ramsey is going to get a few new offers I think soon. I also think he has the talent to win today

Already one intriguing consolation match set up. Eli Anthony, Blair v Montana Phillips, Lawton MAC. Anthony was the 3 seed at the Beast of the East and Phillips is a 2x OK state champ and has spent much of the last couple of years ranked. One of the two is going 0-2.

witcraft gassed and gets pinned.

My first impression was that Witcraft got worn down by Van Ness's pace and pressure. But he seemed to get tired fairly early, like the beginning of the 2nd. And that was after getting 3 takedowns in the 1st. Could it have been an adrenaline crash? Was curious what others think that saw the match.

And I'm not taking anything away from Van Ness, who's obviously terrific and belongs in the PFP rankings.

My first impression was that Witcraft got worn down by Van Ness's pace and pressure. But he seemed to get tired fairly early, like the beginning of the 2nd. And that was after getting 3 takedowns in the 1st. Could it have been an adrenaline crash? Was curious what others think that saw the match.

And I'm not taking anything away from Van Ness, who's obviously terrific and belongs in the PFP rankings.
Does anyone know when the semi's occur?

He was out of gas at the end of the 1st but was clearly the more powerful of the two in that period.

Haven't watched Witcraft enough to know if his tank has been a chronic issue or if it can be chalked up to winter break, late night, illness etc.

The performance hasn't tempered any excitement in my book. Johnny Thompson managed to win a couple championships with suspect lungs.

Mastro had to work for it but eventually got the fall.
Colt newton won easily with the monster brace to wore at Reno. Van Ness won by tech, broke his opponent. Young Mastro won with a solid decision but did not dominate the younger Picklo.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT