ADVERTISEMENT

6 African Nations becoming Military Hunta's - Another Biden Win

OrangeTuono

Starter
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2023
Meanwhile in Africa, the Biden Admins scores 6 Wins for global authoritarianism.

U.S. troops just withdrew from Niger’s Air Base 101—the latest phase in an ongoing complete evacuation of U.S. forces that began following a coup in the African nation one year ago. As an isolated incident this would be troubling enough: however, Niger joins neighboring Sudan, Mali, Chad, Burkina Faso, and Guinea in seeing military forces replace a standing government in less than four years.
These states make up the Sahel, a half dozen nations that stretch from the Atlantic Ocean to the Red Sea between North and sub-Sahara Africa. Their collapse is a historic failure, one that falls under the Biden administration’s watch and now finds U.S. interests, our partners, and the people of the region imperiled for years to come. This is the first time in a generation that an administration has failed U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives across an entire region so poorly without any consequences for its actions.

Meanwhile in Africa, the Biden Admins scores 6 Wins for global authoritarianism.

U.S. troops just withdrew from Niger’s Air Base 101—the latest phase in an ongoing complete evacuation of U.S. forces that began following a coup in the African nation one year ago. As an isolated incident this would be troubling enough: however, Niger joins neighboring Sudan, Mali, Chad, Burkina Faso, and Guinea in seeing military forces replace a standing government in less than four years.
These states make up the Sahel, a half dozen nations that stretch from the Atlantic Ocean to the Red Sea between North and sub-Sahara Africa. Their collapse is a historic failure, one that falls under the Biden administration’s watch and now finds U.S. interests, our partners, and the people of the region imperiled for years to come. This is the first time in a generation that an administration has failed U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives across an entire region so poorly without any consequences for its actions.

If only the Kid Sniffer could parlay his successes at the southern border, at the secret service, and with the economy into some kind of foreign policy achievement as well. Must be frustrating.

Last edited:
Damn those Africans! How dare they replace governments created by and for the American empire with their own form of tyranny! Just as we Americans were about to have total control of the whole fricking continent some of those nations rise up and think they should control their own destiny. Empire building is hard!

Damn those Africans! How dare they replace governments created by and for the American empire with their own form of tyranny! Just as we Americans were about to have total control of the whole fricking continent some of those nations rise up and think they should control their own destiny. Empire building is hard!

Serious question for you Ponca.

Do you think Military Huntas are better for the peoples of Sudan, Mali, Chad, Burina Faso, Guinea and Niger than some level of Democracy?

Do you think Military Huntas are better for the peoples of Sudan, Mali, Chad, Burina Faso, Guinea and Niger than some level of Democracy?
Serious answer: no. Serious question for you: do you think it is “some form of Democracy” when the local government is created by and propped up by a foreign country, when the sole intent is for the foreign country to rule by proxy?

Actually, I'm not sure military Huntas are much of a change for thier governemnts. Add in that their previous governments were putting thier own citizens in danger the Huntas may make thier lives better at least in the short term. Long term most likely not.

Reactions: AC2020
Actually, I'm not sure military Huntas are much of a change for thier governemnts. Add in that their previous governments were putting thier own citizens in danger the Huntas may make thier lives better at least in the short term. Long term most likely not.

I would assume at least small steps away from outright from Fascism (a bit of Democracy) would be better than regression (Military dictatorships).
Agree that from where you and I sit with our standards, it might not seem like much but I'll lean towards supporting even tiny steps toward Citizen empowerment.
I don't know specifics in each case, but tribe based genocide is fairly common across Africa and usually military's are tight knit tribal orgs. Would hate to be from a rival tribe when the military takes over.

Thanks Ponca for your America Sux reply.

Reactions: colcord
As an addendum, I think it is best for all parties when nations don’t interfere with how each other is composed. I may be wrong but I think that was the recommendation of America’s Founding Fathers.

I would assume at least small steps away from outright from Fascism (a bit of Democracy) would be better than regression (Military dictatorships).
Agree that from where you and I sit with our standards, it might not seem like much but I'll lean towards supporting even tiny steps toward Citizen empowerment.
I don't know specifics in each case, but tribe based genocide is fairly common across Africa and usually military's are tight knit tribal orgs. Would hate to be from a rival tribe when the military takes over.

America most certainly does not suck. NeoCon foreign policy, which has taken control over that aspect of American government, sucks big time.

I thank the good Lord each and every day that this board has been graced with such a foreign policy expert like PoncaDan.
I am more than happy to entertain your explanations of my errors where you see them.

The lines were drawn during European colonial days so the countries you see doesn't accurately depict their cultures. Its why militaries keep taking over, because the only way to maintain control is brute force.

Yes, being in a rival tribe is definitely not high on "my day is going to be grand" list. One thing I have learned when overseas is that citizen democracy is not always a good fit culturally. This was one of Bush's main mistakes in that he thought everyone wanted democracy. In reality people just want to feel safe, and democracy is anything but safe.

The lines were drawn during European colonial days so the countries you see doesn't accurately depict their cultures. Its why militaries keep taking over, because the only way to maintain control is brute force.

Yes, being in a rival tribe is definitely not high on "my day is going to be grand" list. One thing I have learned when overseas is that citizen democracy is not always a good fit culturally. This was one of Bush's main mistakes in that he thought everyone wanted democracy. In reality people just want to feel safe, and democracy is anything but safe.

Agree completely that nation states as drawn post colonial era are far from "natural". Bush definitely used "democracy" as his rationale and to a large degree he was correct. And also served the Haliburton's and Exxon's along the way. We could actually consider ARAMCO as a huge success story for propagation of capitalism and democratic values.
While the US was kicked out of Saudi Arabia, what was left behind was absolutely an improvement for the vast majority of Saudi's than pre-Western "colonization".

Developmentally going from a feudal tribal system directly to democracy is highly problematic. Is it worth trying? I personally think so.

Hoover Institute does some great research on global authoritarianism - i.e. limiting of Citizen agency.

Agree completely that nation states as drawn post colonial era are far from "natural". Bush definitely used "democracy" as his rationale and to a large degree he was correct. And also served the Haliburton's and Exxon's along the way. We could actually consider ARAMCO as a huge success story for propagation of capitalism and democratic values.
While the US was kicked out of Saudi Arabia, what was left behind was absolutely an improvement for the vast majority of Saudi's than pre-Western "colonization".

Developmentally going from a feudal tribal system directly to democracy is highly problematic. Is it worth trying? I personally think so.

Hoover Institute does some great research on global authoritarianism - i.e. limiting of Citizen agency.
Always thought provoking - haven't listened to this one yet. Wouldn't be surprised if Biden's Administration didn't punt on Africa in order to clear the way for China to operate unconstrained.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton

I agree that colonialism was a net gain where it was at. After the colonial power leaves the governments should be determined by the people, but the type will come out on its own. Russia for instance culturaly wants a strong authoritarian type. Putin fits that mold.

Serious answer: no. Serious question for you: do you think it is “some form of Democracy” when the local government is created by and propped up by a foreign country, when the sole intent is for the foreign country to rule by proxy?
So spreading democracy and supporting that democracy is a bad thing?

So spreading democracy and supporting that democracy is a bad thing?
'Merica Sux, tear it all down' so yes, anything the US does is inherently evil. Meanwhile CCP takes over the world, which isn't worth whining and whinging constantly over like a sniveling child.

Work For Me Star Trek GIF by Goldmaster

I’m an old fashioned non-interventionist, sorry if that disappoints you.
Yes, it's very disappointing as you do occasionally post thoughtful insights.

But you're saying you're really just a shallow whiner using your anarchist label as a shallow rationale to howl at the moon.

Sad Season 2 GIF by The Boys

Yes, it's very disappointing as you do occasionally post thoughtful insights.

But you're saying you're really just a shallow whiner using your anarchist label as a shallow rationale to howl at the moon.

Sad Season 2 GIF by The Boys
No, I’m saying nothing like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT