ADVERTISEMENT

.300 blackout bolt gun

Pokes15

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2006
Thinking about picking one up mainly for subsonic shooting. Anyone have one? Also, any scopes available where I could interchange subsonic ammo and super’s and return to zero or something, or am I’m going to have to re-zero if i change between ammo?

On the scope, if you buy a higher quality scope, zero the scope for both type of ammo and as long as you don't remove the scope, you can record the zero for both types of ammo, laminate it and attach it to the scope. Then all you have to do is adjust the elevation for the type of ammo. It takes all of 30 seconds to do it. BUT you have to buy a scope that high enough quality that adjustments are repeatable and reliable. It will preferably need to be a scope that is meant to be adjusted regularly so it is more reliable.

Another way is to buy a scope with a ranging reticle and just figure out where poi is on both cartridges and just use hold over on the subsonic ammo.

Both options are viable for your needs and I took the liberty to link a couple examples. I have the Nightforce and another different Vortex. I'm pleased with both.

adjustable:
http://www.scopelist.com/vortex-viper-hs-t-4-16x44-riflescope-with-vmr-1-reticle-moa-vhs-4309.aspx

Holdover:
http://www.scopelist.com/nightforce-shv-3-10x42mm-250-moa-moar-non-illuminated-c563.aspx

I have a 300bo in an AR platform. Subsonic shooting (even with a can) is an overrated experience.

I've not been impressed with the 300BO in terms of ballistics using full power loads, so I'm guessing it's greatest strength is the firepower it brings with subsonic speed while using heavier bullets, especially using a can. I'd sure like to shoot one with both rounds.

Been thinking about that purchase but leaving toward the 6.5 Creedmore, or 260 that uses a necked down 308 cartridge. ..... I'm rationalizing it is the better ranch rifle and a lot of folks are using it for long distance shooting.

Look online at the results of people actually using a heavy subsonic load on a thin skinned animal such as a whitetail. The results are staggering. I too wanted to try a subsonic round on a deer but t thankfully the time I went, nothing showed up. My buddy on the other hand took one and said never again.

wow. I hadn't explored this before.... One site said it was equivalent to shooting a .45 ACP. In a gelatin test, the bullet didn't expand for 15 inches.... so it's not a good choice subsonic for game. Lot's of companies still promoting it for hunting though, most of the reviews by the real life users said definitely not.

I wouldn’t use subsonic loads on deer. Pigs, however, i don’t care if I recover them or not. The more I think about it I think I’m not so sure how much I’d actually use it..

There are no ethics when dealing with pigs and skunks.

I concur. I am an ethical and law abiding hunter, but I consider pigs to be a disease, so they get what they get.

I'm really excited to get in my rimfire suppressor to put on my Tac-Sol pistol to take in the treestand with me while bowhunting. Should have it by next bow season.

Reactions: Dally1up
I have the Tac Sol barrel and a Tac Sol suppressor. You won’t be disappointed

I've not been impressed with the 300BO in terms of ballistics using full power loads, so I'm guessing it's greatest strength is the firepower it brings with subsonic speed while using heavier bullets, especially using a can. I'd sure like to shoot one with both rounds.

Been thinking about that purchase but leaving toward the 6.5 Creedmore, or 260 that uses a necked down 308 cartridge. ..... I'm rationalizing it is the better ranch rifle and a lot of folks are using it for long distance shooting.

Since I've been casually looking and researching for a long range gun (1000 yds), I think the .260 Remington is the best choice for me. The 6.5 Creedmore doesn't add anything in terms of velocity with the same bullets, has higher pressures, and burns the barrels out much quicker, all things equal, and is more expensive to run. It is easier and a bit cheaper to handload the 260 Rem. too from what I can tell (partly due to using the necked down 308 brass). I think this is going to be my next rifle, probably in a Rem 700 based gun. Thoughts or advice? I think I remember Jeff being a fan of the 25-06 which is an awesome round, ad can be loaded up a little heavier/ to and over 3000fps so that is going to be considered as well.

If you're going to load your own, 260 is probably a better choice. If you're looking for factory ammunition, 6.5 Creedmore wins hands down.

Edit: I would add, you will have many more options in rifles for a 6.5, but really don't think you will see any tangible differences, otherwise.

I have an Osprey 45 suppressor coming for my USP 9 and 1911s. It's also rated for 300BO. I'm looking at getting a BO upper for my AR at some point just so I can utilize that suppressor with 3 different guns.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT