ADVERTISEMENT

$28 Billion To Date; $14 Billion More In The Pipeline

Farm subsidies since Trump’s trade war began, the one that was going to be easy to win. Will Trump and his team ever realize they made a mistake and drop the charade?

While I've got no data, I suspect that number pails in comparison to the subsidies that are ladled out to freakin green energy hucksters or ethanol producers. I still believe the trade war is just and appropriate if for no other reason it will redirect manufacturing from China to wherever. If the world doesn't neuter the dam CCP, end favored nation trade status and box them in, they will continue to develop a better military (among other things) that will be a regional if not world menace forever. That 90%+ of our anti-biotics are made in China is criminal and needs to be rectified yesterday. Once Trump gets re-elected you will see a much greater concession schedule by the CCP, if the world will wake up and place the CCP Flu virus spread squarely on the CCP it will get very ugly for them.

PD you can't expect trade to be equitable if one or more of the parties basic influence is corruption and money. Its ironic that the CCP executes business executives for corruption yet the western world rarely drops the hammer on them.

While I've got no data, I suspect that number pails in comparison to the subsidies that are ladled out to freakin green energy hucksters or ethanol producers. I still believe the trade war is just and appropriate if for no other reason it will redirect manufacturing from China to wherever. If the world doesn't neuter the dam CCP, end favored nation trade status and box them in, they will continue to develop a better military (among other things) that will be a regional if not world menace forever. That 90%+ of our anti-biotics are made in China is criminal and needs to be rectified yesterday. Once Trump gets re-elected you will see a much greater concession schedule by the CCP, if the world will wake up and place the CCP Flu virus spread squarely on the CCP it will get very ugly for them.

PD you can't expect trade to be equitable if one or more of the parties basic influence is corruption and money. Its ironic that the CCP executes business executives for corruption yet the western world rarely drops the hammer on them.
Oh, yes! I’m certain your are correct that the money doesn’t compare. If you think I’m OK with all the other subsidies, it’s only this one that I’m against, I assure you I’m against them all.

I disagree with your argument about the inequitability of trade when one side is corrupt. No one in their right mind would trade with someone who is corrupt unless he recognized he was profiting from it. In the trader’s mind it is equitable or he wouldn’t consummate the trade.

Now don’t misunderstand and think I’m in favor of either party in a trade to be corrupt. I’m just pointing out that your argument is illogical. Nobody willingly makes a trade if he believes he is getting screwed.

Oh, yes! I’m certain your are correct that the money doesn’t compare. If you think I’m OK with all the other subsidies, it’s only this one that I’m against, I assure you I’m against them all.

I disagree with your argument about the inequitability of trade when one side is corrupt. No one in their right mind would trade with someone who is corrupt unless he recognized he was profiting from it. In the trader’s mind it is equitable or he wouldn’t consummate the trade.

Now don’t misunderstand and think I’m in favor of either party in a trade to be corrupt. I’m just pointing out that your argument is illogical. Nobody willingly makes a trade if he believes he is getting screwed.

Maybe go monitor a 100 level Econ class and add some base knowledge.

PD, of course they won't make a deal if they are getting screwed......but that is not how this works and your being disingenuous by thinking it is. CEO's make decisions all the time that endanger/hurt all the people down the food chain while they take a bribe, their family members get sweetheart jobs or they have an incredible bonus when the stock price hits "x." In the case of pharma, you think most of the companies that make antibiotics in china give a rats ass if the supply is held hostage or interrupted? Yea the decision makers really would be sweating that out. Even worse are government officials or the parasitic whore politicians who sell "We The People" out, for a campaign donation, a foundation donation or straight out graft.

If it always boiled down to trade deals being done by one person making a decision and if the decision is bad (say like a small business owner) then they suffer. But to infer that governments, government officials or even CEO's bear that same burden/consequence over a bad decision is silly.

Chine is corrupt to the dam core and all we are doing is helping them modernize their armed forces and expand to dangerous proportions........primarily the courtesy of dumb asses with no spine in government and very questionable decisions made by multinational companies who outsource absolutely vital industries.

No offense but we've written 3 trillion or so in subsidies to various businesses and industries this year due to covid-19. Complaining about farm subsidies from a trade war feels like very selective outrage.
Well, outrage may be a tad over the top as a description of my attitude. The farm subsidies talked about in the link are - or should be - totally unnecessary. They are money taken from taxpayers to give to farmers whose livelihoods were taken by ill conceived tariffs. And now they are bribes given to farmers in swing states in an attempt to secure their votes. I know this will annoy the hell out of some people on this board, but how can you look at those subsidies as anything but pure corruption?

Well, outrage may be a tad over the top as a description of my attitude. The farm subsidies talked about in the link are - or should be - totally unnecessary. They are money taken from taxpayers to give to farmers whose livelihoods were taken by ill conceived tariffs. And now they are bribes given to farmers in swing states in an attempt to secure their votes. I know this will annoy the hell out of some people on this board, but how can you look at those subsidies as anything but pure corruption?

Answer this question: Do you support the government bailouts for companies and individuals impacted by the government COVID mandates that forced them to stop doing business? And you can't cop out with the Libertarian answer of "No, but I also don't support a government having the ability to shutdown a business" because that's fantasy land and not the world we live in.

Reactions: iasooner1
Answer this question: Do you support the government bailouts for companies and individuals impacted by the government COVID mandates that forced them to stop doing business? And you can't cop out with the Libertarian answer of "No, but I also don't support a government having the ability to shutdown a business" because that's fantasy land and not the world we live in.
I’m not sure why the “libertarian” answer is considered a copout, it’s the answer I would give if permitted. But since you hamstrung my “libertarian” answer I’ll have to go with no I don’t support the bailouts. If you’ll
be honest with yourself you’ll admit they are really nothing more than bribes to keep the natives from getting restless after the serious overreach by the original government response to Covid.

I’m not sure why the “libertarian” answer is considered a copout, it’s the answer I would give if permitted. But since you hamstrung my “libertarian” answer I’ll have to go with no I don’t support the bailouts. If you’ll
be honest with yourself you’ll admit they are really nothing more than bribes to keep the natives from getting restless after the serious overreach by the original government response to Covid.
I laughed out loud!

Just cut some foreign aid of equal value. Not to mention, it is a time honored tradition to buy votes via social programs why change that now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT