ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks for the info. You are welcome here anytime. You do a great job for a sport we all love.

Off topic but watch out for the Bixby FR Giddens-Burttram. Not sure he is in your ranking but if not, he should be! ;)

he's been on my JR High Big Board for a couple years. When i changed them to Top 50 Fresh i had him out but i expect he'll be back in when i update (and expand to 100)

Watched some Bouzakis matches recently, he would be a great get. He actually beat Mendez twice, by major & by pin. Also has a younger brother (& sister) who wrestles, which Harley always points out as a plus.

He would fill a big need lineup wise. Went 60 kg a few weeks ago, could he make 133 for a year? If so, we could even fit him and Real Woods. With redshirts, it could look something like this...

2022/2023/2024/2025
133: Fix/Fix/Bouzakis/?

141: Woods/Woods/Woods/Bouzakis

149: Mastro/Voinovich/Voinovich/Voinovich

157: Sheets/Mastro/Mastro/Mastro

Watched some Bouzakis matches recently, he would be a great get. He actually beat Mendez twice, by major & by pin. Also has a younger brother (& sister) who wrestles, which Harley always points out as a plus.

He would fill a big need lineup wise. Went 60 kg a few weeks ago, could he make 133 for a year? If so, we could even fit him and Real Woods. With redshirts, it could look something like this...

2022/2023/2024/2025
133: Fix/Fix/Bouzakis/?

141: Woods/Woods/Woods/Bouzakis

149: Mastro/Voinovich/Voinovich/Voinovich

157: Sheets/Mastro/Mastro/Mastro
Please.

Just watched Shayne Van Ness, the #1 P4P in the country get his butt handed to him by Benjamin Alanis at 63kg (139#). He was teched by Alanis 16-5. It shows when you google him he is a freshman at Northern Colorado out of Chandler, Az. I checked their 20-21 roster and he is not on it.Another potential target at 141.

Just watched Shayne Van Ness, the #1 P4P in the country get his butt handed to him by Benjamin Alanis at 63kg (139#). He was teched by Alanis 16-5. It shows when you google him he is a freshman at Northern Colorado out of Chandler, Az. I checked their 20-21 roster and he is not on it.Another potential target at 141.
Alanis is still a HS senior and signed with Northern Colorado in November.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gr...ams-add-seven-more-signees-for-fall-2021/amp/

I saw Travis Whitlake is signed up for senior Nationals this weekend at 79kg. Teague Travis is at 65kg, Anthony Ferrari is at 70kg. You would think more would be going but apparently not.

I'm surprised Daton isn't registered. He needs matches badly. He could even test out the waters at 61 kg. If Gilman medals in Tokyo, he would automatically earn the 57 kg spot for Worlds in Oct.

Brevin Balmeceda is still enrolled at OSU he retweeted a Joey Sanchez tweet about the team being family in March. Anyone know if there is a chance he rejoins the team?

I would think the wrestlers would want as many matches as they can possibly have, at the moment. Especially Daton.
Now we are cooking, at Juniors at 57 Cael Hughes, at 61 Reece Witcraft and Jakason Burks, at 86 Kyle Haas, at 92 Luke Surber and HWT Konnor Doucette. A few more entries is good. Cael Hughes going to Juniors after Cadets last weekend is a surprise. Haas wrestling 86kg is certainly a surprise since I at first heard he was going to be a HWT and now may be planning on being a 184. I wonder if he can be effective at that weight(at who is number 1 he wrestled 220 but got beat soundly). Hopefully there will be a few more entries as the week goes on.

Last edited:
Now we are cooking, at Juniors at 57 Cael Hughes, at 61 Reece Witcraft and Jakason Burks, at 86 Kyle Haas, at 92 Luke Surber and HWT Konnor Doucette. A few more entries is good. Cael Hughes going to Juniors after Cadets last weekend is a surprise. Haas wrestling 86kg is certainly a surprise since I at first heard he was going to be a HWT and now may be planning on being a 184. I wonder if he can be effective at that weight(at who is number 1 he wrestled 220 but got beat soundly). Hopefully there will be a few more entries as the week goes on.
Derek White is also entered at seniors at HWT.

Reactions: tom_v31
Haas at 86KG. Hmmm.
Maybe Haas 184, AJ 197, Surber at HWT?
I know AJ could go up to HWT and be successful, but I think our maximum team points have him at 197. Exciting times coming.

👍

Haas at 86KG. Hmmm.
Maybe Haas 184, AJ 197, Surber at HWT?
I know AJ could go up to HWT and be successful, but I think our maximum team points have him at 197. Exciting times coming.

I just think AJ has a good chance to be a 4x NC at 197.

I mean I don’t put anything past him and if anyone has the work ethic and mental fortitude to make a move to HWY and win the damn thing it’s AJ.

I just think AJ has a good chance to be a 4x NC at 197.

I mean I don’t put anything past him and if anyone has the work ethic and mental fortitude to make a move to HWY and win the damn thing it’s AJ.
If Gable is still at Minnesota it would be wise to stay at 197. He is as good of 285 as we’ve seen in a long time. I think a 240 lb AJ beats Mason Parris.

Reactions: osu2082
I would think the wrestlers would want as many matches as they can possibly have, at the moment. Especially Daton.
Well he didn't seem to want the extra matches in the trials. With Gilman dinged up he couldve been just one bad covid test away from being in the Olympics.

Reactions: tom_v31
Looks like Burks took 7th and Bouzakis took 1st in greco @ 60 kg.

Weird. Recall thinking he was a big get for OSU.
He was ranked high coming out of high school. Seem to be a good prospect. He is still youn g and a bit undersized. He just looked like he was uninterested. I hope freestyle is a little different for him. Just didn’t see a fire in him.

I don't see Bouzakis in the brackets this morning. He took a pretty good blow to the head in the finals yesterday, hope he's OK.

I don't see Bouzakis in the brackets this morning. He took a pretty good blow to the head in the finals yesterday, hope he's OK.
Hughes won by decision in the 1st round but got teched by Sprately from Oklahoma who is going to Minnesota next year. Ferrari won by tech fall in the 1st round. Wittlake won by tech and decision at 79kg. Witcraft won by tech 1st round and 2nd round. Travis won by tech fall 1st round.

Reactions: turfpoke
He was ranked high coming out of high school. Seem to be a good prospect. He is still youn g and a bit undersized. He just looked like he was uninterested. I hope freestyle is a little different for him. Just didn’t see a fire in him.
In freestyle Burks got teched in his 1st match by someone I never heard of.

How are we letting Young go northwestern?
Carter just teched Ben Alonis who beat Van Ness recently. So Carter Young is looking very good. Doucette just got to the semi's. Ferrari lead the whole match until with less than a minute left got taken down and turned 4 times by Ed Scott. Teague Travis won by tech in the consolations. Surber lost in the quarters to Elam by decision.

Also Carter Young teched Witcraft earlier.
Witcraft and Burks both got teched out of the consolations early by Cullan Schriever of Iowa. Witcraft was beat up from previous matches. I don't know what Burks problem is but he gave up 3 or 4 outside swing singles against Schriever without ever adjusting or reacting quick. Anthony Ferrari forfeited in the consolations after losing in the quarters painfully(emotionally). I don't know if he was injured or what.
Kyle Haas at 86 kg looks lean but not sucked out and won by tech fall in less than a minute. He overpowered his opponent.
Haas lost to Roberts from OU who wrestled 184 for them this year. Haas didn't wrestle well even got thrown for 4 points. Also Doucette got pinned in 30 seconds against Hendrickson from Airforce, head pinch to pin.

Last edited:
Hughes won by decision in the 1st round but got teched by Sprately from Oklahoma who is going to Minnesota next year. Ferrari won by tech fall in the 1st round. Wittlake won by tech and decision at 79kg. Witcraft won by tech 1st round and 2nd round. Travis won by tech fall 1st round.
Hughes in his first consolation bout Surtin from U of Mis. pinned him forcefully at 2 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT