ADVERTISEMENT

Wrassler17

All-American
Mar 20, 2017
Next year Iowa, PSU & Cornell will be tough. They all have heavy hitters who will either be favored to win or at least be top 4. Good news is we have some too. So what are our chances and what will our lineup look like?

I don't think we should redshirt Ferrari or Plott. I would go with Mastro @ 125 and hope he improves to AA level. The other Mastro @ 149 (Voinovich redshirt then swap those 2 in 2023). Montalvo @ 184. Harris, Surber & Doucet battle for heavy.

125 - Mastro
133 - Daton
141 - ? (transfer? Witcraft?)
149 - Mastro
157 - Wyatt
165 - Wittlake
174 - Plott
184 - Montalvo
197 - AJ
285 - Harris/Surber/Doucet

Reactions: JAY45
Next year Iowa, PSU & Cornell will be tough. They all have heavy hitters who will either be favored to win or at least be top 4. Good news is we have some too. So what are our chances and what will our lineup look like?

I don't think we should redshirt Ferrari or Plott. I would go with Mastro @ 125 and hope he improves to AA level. The other Mastro @ 149 (Voinovich redshirt then swap those 2 in 2023). Montalvo @ 184. Harris, Surber & Doucet battle for heavy.

125 - Mastro
133 - Daton
141 - ? (transfer? Witcraft?)
149 - Mastro
157 - Wyatt
165 - Wittlake
174 - Plott
184 - Montalvo
197 - AJ
285 - Harris/Surber/Doucet
Where does Gfeller fit in? 41/49?

Haas as a heavy? Might have a lot better offense as a heavy. Wonder who wins between Haas and Surber. Ferrari needs to stay at 197.

Reactions: tom_v31
All depends on what the coaches long term planning is. There is and will be some talk of RS everyone who has one available next season to gest up for what is out more realistic run to try and hang some banners.

Some of that will be what Daton wants to do. Does he wrestle 3 more years? Or does he wrestle 2 more years and move to FT FS?

Reactions: JAY45
May be tough to redshirt AJ if he wants to be a 5 time champion.
You could redshirt him and he still would have 4 more years to wrestle. Injuries are part of wrestling though and so I think you may want to save his redshirt to give him a chance for 5 titles if he had a serious injury like what occurred his senior year in high school.

Reactions: skylinepoke
Good question. I'm assuming 141 is a tough cut for him, but might be wrong. He would probably be at 149 if he won the spot, although I would favor Mastro right now.
If he right now committed to wrestling like he had as a freshman he could take the 149 spot but that is a big if. When he is older he will really regret this poor attitude after his redshirt freshman year if he doesn't give wrestling his best. Saturday night someone posted we had a wrestler as a true freshman who is sitting on the bench this year pin 1 of Saturday night National Champions. That was G at the Southern Scuffle finals pinning Lee of Penn. St. It was not a fluke either because the takedown I believe gave him the lead and had the leg turked and just manhandled, crushed Lee to his back and that was it. A shame with the waste of talent but it happens all the time. Now injuries are different but not working hard is a waste. I hope he looks inside and does commit to wrestling but it is his decision.

Good question. I'm assuming 141 is a tough cut for him, but might be wrong. He would probably be at 149 if he won the spot, although I would favor Mastro right now.
Speaking of Travis I believe he hurt his neck at whose Number 1 against the Ohio kid. Does anyone know if he is wrestling now or if he got hurt worse than we thought. I checked a month ago and he was not on Blair's wrestling roster. Also Haas is in Stillwater with Tyler does anyone know what he is doing with wrestling. He was at whose number 1 also and his opponent made him look bad also. Lately we have recruited a number of guys who missed their senior years injuries etc. This is a concern but obviously AJ seems to be working out for us.

I hope little Mastro takes a redshirt next year. He could use a year to bulk up, while Burks or Reece handle 125. I don't know if the staff is thinking of redshirting Plott or not, but a year to strengthen and heal his shoulder isn't a bad idea in my opinion.

Haas as a heavy?

I think someone posted that Haas is going to gray shirt.

I don't know if the staff is thinking of redshirting Plott or not, but a year to strengthen and heal his shoulder isn't a bad idea in my opinion.

Wittlake was asked about his performance at the Cowboy Challenge and his first response was that the 2 hour weigh-in was nice. Maybe his sluggishness at times was due to the weight cut? Another option would be to have him go 174 and have Plott either redshirt or battle Montalvo for 184.

That creates a hole at 165, but I think we are now at the point where guys should go at their best weight (like keeping AJ at 197).

25- Mastro
33- Fix
141- Real Woods
149- Parco
157- Sheets
165- Shane Griffith
174- Wittlake
184- Plott/Geer if he wants, RS plott
197- Ferrari
HWT- Harris

I think someone posted that Haas is going to gray shirt.

Wittlake was asked about his performance at the Cowboy Challenge and his first response was that the 2 hour weigh-in was nice. Maybe his sluggishness at times was due to the weight cut? Another option would be to have him go 174 and have Plott either redshirt or battle Montalvo for 184.

That creates a hole at 165, but I think we are now at the point where guys should go at their best weight (like keeping AJ at 197).
At some point Haas will have to wrestle

Sounds like a bunch of “Covid seniors” are going to return at Iowa. I think if that happens along with PSU’s performance makes the idea and thought to RS everyone you can a stronger and more realistic option.

Sounds like a bunch of “Covid seniors” are going to return at Iowa. I think if that happens along with PSU’s performance makes the idea and thought to RS everyone you can a stronger and more realistic option.

I mostly agree. However, a lot might depend on the transfer market. If you get a couple of decent point scorers you could talk yourself into making a run. Not sure how likely that is though.

Also, AJ. Is he willing to sit out? If you don't add anyone and everyone is willing it makes sense to RS whoever you can.

Reactions: osu2082
I don't know the plan, but here's something else to consider...

If we do redshirt AJ and others, we could finish outside the top 10 next year. That would be a recruiting momentum killer. AJ is the best marketing piece we have going right now. He also might take an ORS in 2024, so you could potentially lose him 2 out of the next 3 years.

I mostly agree. However, a lot might depend on the transfer market. If you get a couple of decent point scorers you could talk yourself into making a run. Not sure how likely that is though.

Also, AJ. Is he willing to sit out? If you don't add anyone and everyone is willing it makes sense to RS whoever you can.

I also think a lot will come down to what Daton and his dad are thinking. Is he really going to wrestle in college for 2 more years? Or do we have him for two more and if so we really need to prep for a run for his final year.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
the idea of aj redshirting is laughable

I don’t think it’s very likely but the idea of RS everyone who has the ability to do so next season to put us in the best position possible to make a NC run in 2023-2025 is absolutely something being considered.

We must capitalize on the talent and incoming talent and win a NC. As a program we literally can’t afford not to.

I don’t think it’s very likely but the idea of RS everyone who has the ability to do so next season to put us in the best position possible to make a NC run in 2023-2025 is absolutely something being considered.

We must capitalize on the talent and incoming talent and win a NC. As a program we literally can’t afford not to.
So ... you are saying wait an extra year or so till Penn St gets better? ;_;

So ... your are saying wait an extra year or so till Penn St gets better? ;_;

Im saying with what PSU did at the tournament and all the Iowa guys returning it might be a good year to “punt” so to speak. Allow guys to heal and improve and allow the talented incoming class to do the same.

You are immediate contenders in 2023 and likely extend the title window a year by doing so.

Im saying with what PSU did at the tournament and all the Iowa guys returning it might be a good year to “punt” so to speak. Allow guys to heal and improve and allow the talented incoming class to do the same.

You are immediate contenders in 2023 and likely extend the title window a year by doing so.
Penn St will be better in 2023.

PSU is only getting better. No reason to RS

If it extends our title window it’s something to consider. Our title window doesn’t include 2022 unless we get a few high end transfers.

Title window doesn't include 2023 unless some guys get experience and jump levels.

Speaking of Travis I believe he hurt his neck at whose Number 1 against the Ohio kid. Does anyone know if he is wrestling now or if he got hurt worse than we thought. I checked a month ago and he was not on Blair's wrestling roster. Also Haas is in Stillwater with Tyler does anyone know what he is doing with wrestling. He was at whose number 1 also and his opponent made him look bad also. Lately we have recruited a number of guys who missed their senior years injuries etc. This is a concern but obviously AJ seems to be working out for us.
I heard the Grayshirt talk but where is he working on his wrestling abilities. Is he working at our RTC, at our practices, with Stillwater high school or is he going to Colorado Springs or is he working out with his brother? Last I saw him he needs to really be working on his wrestling.

Prob should be a separate thread but is Ferrari wrestling in the trials? I know he can due to winning title but wonder if he will participate

If it extends our title window it’s something to consider. Our title window doesn’t include 2022 unless we get a few high end transfers.
Lets hope that Shane Griffith 165 goes to Michigan. Today Flo thought that 2 teams are in it for Griffith and they are Michigan and Penn. St.

Reactions: JAY45 and tom_v31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT