ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Football Team Observations

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
This write up came after the Arkansas-Pine Bluff game on 09/17/22.

OFFENSE
#12 - Gundy looks really good and better than I expected. He was quick with his decision making, displayed great pocket presence (when he felt pressure he stepped up in the pocket and threw or took off and ran), displayed great touch and accuracy, and surprised many people with his speed and athletic ability. Not sure if he can read a defense yet or check down to second and third receivers because he didn't need to tonight, but I was still impressed.

#0 - Gordon shows great balance and doesn't get knocked down easily after his first contact, good vision finding holes, power running through arm tackles, and shows decent speed. I hope he gets more opportunities each game.

DEFENSE
#4 - Martin, not Benson needs to be starting opposite of Cobb. He seems more instinctive, he hits with authority, and he sheds blocks better. Benson seems to hit the wrong holes and gets locked up with lineman far too often.

#52 - Kopenski has a motor that runs 100 mph all of the time and even has good moves. I really think he needs to be in the starting rotation after Oliver and Ford. When those two can't go then he and Martin should get some reps. I think Lacy is at his best at defensive tackle.

SPECIAL TEAMS
#1 - Braylin Presley was the most dynamic Oklahoma high school player last year and it wasn't even close. He is special with the ball in his hands. I don't understand why we are not using him on kickoffs and getting him reps on punt returns when games are decided (instead of putting JP Richardson out there). I love JP as an inside receiver, but not as a punt returner. I would also like to see him get some opportunities on some end arounds or even handoffs as a RB. I've love to see us move him around and find creative ways to get him touches. I know he is small, but he doesn't have the hands of a college receiver (yet). Maybe that will change, but for now he is a very gifted runner. I'm not saying Braylin Presley is Barry Sanders, but when Barry showed up to campus how big was he? Would he have been given a chance at RB in today's game with his size as a freshman?

#69 - Ward killed the ball every time he punted. I would like to see him get more opportunities when we are pinned farther back to help oSu flip the field. He averaged 57.5 yards on 2 punts this past weekend. I would still like to see Hutton be used to pin teams inside the 20 because he is very good at placement, just not distance. Plus, Hutton is a valuable asset when teams are brining the house to block a punt. He can 2 step punt and most punters cannot do that and still get off a 40 yard punt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT