ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Biggest Question Marks

I absolutely agree Po0sKue that Cael Hughes is a stud. I am definitely not knocking Mastro with his injury but he could be sitting out of the lineup next year. I do not think Fix will leave 133 nor should he due to his stature. That is his weight. It will be interesting to see Montalvo and Haas at 184 next year and who wins. We will have some tough fights at several weights which is good as whoever wins will be tested by fire.
No way he can get to 125?

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
What are the causes of our 5+ year cascade of season ending injuries and what’s being done to address it? “Kids are soft these days” or “injuries happen” are not appropriate answers - this needs to be identified and fixed ASAP not only for any chance at an NC but more importantly for the athletes’ health.
Directly related, why did Wittlake even attempt to go legs-in in that match?! :(

It seems like John has finally hit his bottom, looking at himself and recognizes we need to start wrestling and it is time for leadership. He has been complacent. It may be this lousy year was needed. Coach Smith seems to have some fire in him which is good. I hope that he follows thru because wrestling has been painful for a lot of years.

Your crazy if you think John has ever been complacent. He's just stubborn.

Stubborn with regards to RTCs
Stubborn with NILs
Stubborn with transfer portal

Most importantly, he's stubborn in regards to training and recovery. No different than Brands.

Your crazy if you think John has ever been complacent. He's just stubborn.

Stubborn with regards to RTCs
Stubborn with NILs
Stubborn with transfer portal

Most importantly, he's stubborn in regards to training and recovery. No different than Brands.
Being stubborn was involved obviously but he stated I didn't like these things and so I didn't do them. As a wrestler John would have done these things that others were doing to get ahead even if he didn't like them despite being stubborn. Coach Smith had a different level of motivation than he has had as a Coach as compared to being a wrestler is how I see it and I could say your crazy if you don't think that is true. Stubborn does not totally explain this last 16 years .

It's probably both. John wanted to win doing things his way. He was stubborn about RTCs early on and that set us back. The Kerkvliet decommitment should have been a wake up call and it wasn't. As the years passed without winning, he became complacent. His comment that he can't hear 'no' anymore speaks to it.

I'm just hoping everything is on the table now. RTC, NIL, transfers, training methods, fundraising, schedule, marketing & promotion, etc,. Hopefully changes are coming.

Cowboy wrestling posted a pic on Instagram of sheets and Plott back at work in the room. Not sure if it’s old but I would assume that if sheets is still in the room working out then he is likely returning.

Cowboy wrestling posted a pic on Instagram of sheets and Plott back at work in the room. Not sure if it’s old but I would assume that if sheets is still in the room working out then he is likely returning.
Saw the same photo. I’ve expected Sheets to come back.

Saw the same photo. I’ve expected Sheets to come back.
I was actually the opposite and thought Gfeller would be the guy coming back. That was until I saw all the OSU Max stuff about him being done. Not mad about Sheets coming back. He’s just got to figure out his neutral game.

I was actually the opposite and thought Gfeller would be the guy coming back. That was until I saw all the OSU Max stuff about him being done. Not mad about Sheets coming back. He’s just got to figure out his neutral game.

Was the OSU Max stuff about him being done before or after the NCAA tourney?

I think Sheets will be in a fight for his spot if he returns. Would love to see him back as a GA. His attitude, toughness and skills on top would be welcome in the room.

Was the OSU Max stuff about him being done before or after the NCAA tourney?
All the coverage I watched was before and during NCAA's. Not sure where he stands currently, but he and his girlfriend are expecting a baby very soon and he was talking about how this was his last tournament and his mindset has changed on getting a good job etc. Would like to see him come back, but would also like are young guys like Voinovich to get their shot as well.

Being stubborn was involved obviously but he stated I didn't like these things and so I didn't do them. As a wrestler John would have done these things that others were doing to get ahead even if he didn't like them despite being stubborn. Coach Smith had a different level of motivation than he has had as a Coach as compared to being a wrestler is how I see it and I could say your crazy if you don't think that is true. Stubborn does not totally explain this last 16 years .

No. You're being completely insane if you actually think that John's will and motivation to win championships as a Coach has changed one iota. He wants to win. Badly. Ask the guys what its like to wrestle for him. He demands perfection in competition and in the practice room.

Complacent is probably a good word if you're thinking that he hasn't evolved. Because that's 100% the issue.

Transfer portal is not the issue. These next 2 classes are championship level recruits. Using NIL to bring in a ringer or two would always help, but i'm not sure you guys need it. The RTC thing? He has to change his entire mindset on that. Even if he had just focused on cowboys (Ringer, JO, Derek White, Heil, Picc, Crutchmer) that's a damn good RTC that can also attract and develop recruits.

Directly related, why did Wittlake even attempt to go legs-in in that match?! :(
I asked that question right away because I can't remember him ever putting his legs in like that and then tears a knee up right away.

No. You're being completely insane if you actually think that John's will and motivation to win championships as a Coach has changed one iota. He wants to win. Badly. Ask the guys what its like to wrestle for him. He demands perfection in competition and in the practice room.

Complacent is probably a good word if you're thinking that he hasn't evolved. Because that's 100% the issue.

Transfer portal is not the issue. These next 2 classes are championship level recruits. Using NIL to bring in a ringer or two would always help, but i'm not sure you guys need it. The RTC thing? He has to change his entire mindset on that. Even if he had just focused on cowboys (Ringer, JO, Derek White, Heil, Picc, Crutchmer) that's a damn good RTC that can also attract and develop recruits.
As a wrestler John Smith was an innovator, he was ahead of everybody ( he likely was still stubborn). As a coach he has not been an innovator, in fact fallen behind other Coaches by his own admission. Almost everyone wants to win but only those who work extremely hard and are creative and innovative end up first.

In regards to Wittlake, I just think he was wrestling out of character for what we've seen of him for the better part of 2022. He seemed like he was overthinking and second guessing his skill set and ability, moves that scored him points in the past and was trying to find his identity again and ways to win by doing too much out of his arsenal.

In regards to Wittlake, I just think he was wrestling out of character for what we've seen of him for the better part of 2022. He seemed like he was overthinking and second guessing his skill set and ability, moves that scored him points in the past and was trying to find his identity again and ways to win by doing too much out of his arsenal.

He was injured. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: turfpoke
If injured then why did he attempt to throw legs-in? That seemed odd.
Probably doing what Coach was pushing him to do - be more aggressive and take more risks. We like to see it as fans but there is a downside. Also, Dean Heil rode the conservative train to 2 national championships. Might not have been fun to watch his matches, but the dude got it done on his terms - and even arguably got the NCAA to change the rules because he was so effective! Lol

Reactions: vhsalum
Pretty sure Wittlake has gone double boots before. I remember him throwing legs in against Drexel before the rib injury and then against ISU after the injury. Just had bad luck against Bucknell.

Pretty sure Wittlake has gone double boots before. I remember him throwing legs in against Drexel before the rib injury and then against ISU after the injury. Just had bad luck against Bucknell.
It’s not a new move that he was trying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT