ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Line-Up predictions

Sounds like Smith will put Mastro on the 1’s this weekend. I don’t know if he has enough offense to hang with the top end 25s.
He won the ranking matches he has been in the top five at his weight since he was freshman in high school also went to Blair he will probably stack up alright. The good thing is both him and Witcraft will get matches . Then they can settle it at the cowboy open tournament before Big 12’s .

He won the ranking matches he has been in the top five at his weight since he was freshman in high school also went to Blair he will probably stack up alright. The good thing is both him and Witcraft will get matches . Then they can settle it at the cowboy open tournament before Big 12’s .
I see it as Mastro being the smarter wrestler and Witcraft having all the physical gifts. It’s really the best of both worlds for John, he has two very different wrestlers in the room that are going to have force each other to be better if they want to get on the mat.

Reactions: Dugan2035
Will he see any top end 25s this weekend?
Chattanooga has the 18th rated 125 Fabian Gutierrez. Oregon State does not have a rated 25. We are not wrestling any powerhouses this weekend. I saw NDSU beat Oregon St. in a dual this weekend.

Will he see any top end 25s this weekend?
I wasn’t necessarily referring to this weekend. If Mastro continues to be our best bet at 25, he will need some offense somewhere down the line. He is a very good defensive wrestler and I like his length but I was spoiled by the aggressive wrestler that we started the past 3-4 years.

I wasn’t necessarily referring to this weekend. If Mastro continues to be our best bet at 25, he will need some offense somewhere down the line. He is a very good defensive wrestler and I like his length but I was spoiled by the aggressive wrestler that we started the past 3-4 years.
I'd say if he has offense issues will know this weekend or next and by then should be clear on who will be the starter. BTW: does anyone know who was in Whitcraft's corner and did he fail to warn him about the imminate stall call?

Just listened to the media availability session. Some comments by John on things discussed recently...

- Mastro gets the nod at 125 this weekend. John expects Mastro & Witcraft to compete for the spot going forward. Burks currently 3rd in that group, but all talented.

- Andrew Nieman will go @ 133. John happy about him getting an opportunity to start.

- Montalvo is out with a minor injury. John said he might be at 174 when he returns.

- John said Geer looks very good back down @ 184.

- Harris will be back @ heavy this weekend.

- John spoke highly of the entire freshmen class. Said AJ or Surber could end up @ heavy eventually. Surber has put on 15-20 lbs since school started. He's walking around @ 215 already.

Don't know if it means much but wrestlestat.com does have Plott listed as the starter.

You're right, it doesn't mean much -- I was the one that updated the starters in WS. ;) WS allows you to adjust the settings if you have an account.

Plott was an assumption on my part, it could be Bahl. FWIW, the Mocs list Plott as the expected starter tomorrow.

You're right, it doesn't mean much -- I was the one that updated the starters in WS. ;) WS allows you to adjust the settings if you have an account.

Plott was an assumption on my part, it could be Bahl. FWIW, the Mocs list Plott as the expected starter tomorrow.
It would shock me if Plott can't beat Bahl. Bahl has made great progress as a Cowboy but Plott is wrestling at 174 for a reason. Most everyone assumes Plott beats Bahl. Montalvo would be harder to beat but at 74 I would pick Plott.

Dakota gives a nice interview here and touches on 125, his plans for next year and the future

Would be great if Dakota sticks around as a GA. John is very high on him. Said he's a hard worker and also has a good sense of humor. Dakota would be a big help to Plott, Montalvo & Ferrari.

Another video, this one of Travis Mastro...

Any info on Sheets and Montalvo? Seems if they don't get in the lineup soon will have trouble getting sharp and in peak shape.

Any info on Sheets and Montalvo? Seems if they don't get in the lineup soon will have trouble getting sharp and in peak shape.

Sheets is close and Taco is back but will be a backup this year due to Plott and Geer.

Plott has been impressive, but to already overtake Montalvo is amazing. It will be interesting as to how this shapes up next year. I have no idea if Plott can hold 174 and we know Montalvo can hold his own at 184.

Plott is improving by leaps and bounds from his debut in the rankings match. Saying that, I’m not convinced that he has the upper body strength to beat the top end guys. Taco is a very good wrestler with some limitations but he never makes the same mistakes twice. I wished he was at 74 last year even though he competed well at 84.
The best news is that we will have a competitive wrestler at this weight with either one.

Plott has been impressive, but to already overtake Montalvo is amazing. It will be interesting as to how this shapes up next year. I have no idea if Plott can hold 174 and we know Montalvo can hold his own at 184.
Course do we even know that's the case? I would hope to see both in the bracket for the Cowboy Challenge and maybe Montalvo in a dual or two before that.

Plott is terrific, but I'd favor a healthy Montalvo over him this year (provided the weight cut isn't too bad). Montalvo held his own against some pretty good 84s last year. As mentioned above, they probably settle it at Cowboy Challenge and then Montalvo bumps to 84 next year.

It is going to be an interesting season.
125- Mastro went through mono and then Covid before the season started, so I’m sure it is going to take him a while to get into top end shape. Hell, I haven’t seen anything so far to make me think he isn’t already in good shape.
133- Fix will be ready to go come tournament time.
141- Kaid has battled throughout his career with getting put on his back. We saw it again against SIUE. He looks like he spent a lot of time in the weight room. He seems to wrestle to the level of his competition.
149- Boo looked a little sluggish this past weekend. Those were a couple of guys that he typically TFs.
157- I was excited to see how Sheets progressed. He is huge to our NC hopes next season. Hope his injuries don’t linger.
165- Wittlake is solid. Seems like he can take down guys at will. Kind of appears to wrestle to the level of his competition at times.
174- Plott is good. He is slick finishing his takedowns. He has also shown that he knows how to get his opponent to his back.
184- Geer is at his weight. I haven’t seen much change in his wrestling the past 3 years. He will be a solid AA and a tough out.
197- Ferrari is better than I expected. He is a beast. I’m trying to think of someone with his size and skill set that we have seen at OSU and I can’t think of one. Early results but he is the complete package. I would like to see him be a career 197 pounder, although he could move up like Snyder and succeed. Watching John Smith and Chris Perry just lean back in their chairs and watch him destroy his opponents shows you that they know they have something special.
285- Austin Harris is a competitor. The two wrestlers he beat this past weekend were both physically more gifted than him. He represents what putting on the OSU singlet means.

Plott looks a little undersized right now as a 174 so I think he should be able to stay there for awhile. Plott has a NC level ceiling and probably sooner rather than later. I love Taco and his grit and style but he isn’t on that level.

I think Taco goes back up to 184 when Geer leaves.

Updated TOM rankings

Mastro: 21
Fix: 1
Brock: 5
Boo: 4
Sheets: 6
Wittlake: 3
Plott: 10
Geer: 9
Ferrari: 13
Harris: 24

Are there really a dozen guys that can beat AJ? I think Geer is a bit low too, Brock probably too high, Mastro too low. Otherwise pretty solid.

Reactions: driad
Updated TOM rankings

Mastro: 21
Fix: 1
Brock: 5
Boo: 4
Sheets: 6
Wittlake: 3
Plott: 10
Geer: 9
Ferrari: 13
Harris: 24

I like how Mastro is improving but not sure he will see enough matches this year to figure out the bottom game. Feb 14th will be interesting.

Are there really a dozen guys that can beat AJ? I think Geer is a bit low too, Brock probably too high, Mastro too low. Otherwise pretty solid.

I'd say there are only 3 guys that can beat AJ right now - Sadulaev, Snyder & Cox.

No but seriously, AJ will get a chance to move up when he faces Woodley at Bedlam and then Adams & Sloan at Big12s. If he wins the conference, he could be the #1 seed at Nationals.

Reactions: DPJ
I'd say there are only 3 guys that can beat AJ right now - Sadulaev, Snyder & Cox.

No but seriously, AJ will get a chance to move up when he faces Woodley at Bedlam and then Adams & Sloan at Big12s. If he wins the conference, he could be the #1 seed at Nationals.
I'd like to see how Amine looks from Michigan. He could give AJ problems. Other than him I feel pretty confident that AJ will come out on top with anybody else.

I'd like to see how Amine looks from Michigan. He could give AJ problems. Other than him I feel pretty confident that AJ will come out on top with anybody else.
Do you know that Amine is going 197? He’s listed at 184 in all of the rankings.

Do you know that Amine is going 197? He’s listed at 184 in all of the rankings.
No I don't know for sure. Willie has him at 197 in his rankings, but a couple others have him at 184. Guess we'll have to wait until Michigan can wrestle to see where he's at.

No I don't know for sure. Willie has him at 197 in his rankings, but a couple others have him at 184. Guess we'll have to wait until Michigan can wrestle to see where he's at.

@DPJ Does Rokfin allow you to replay archived events like Flo does?

I dropped my subscription before the RTC events started up and was wondering if I'll be able to watch them if I renew.

@DPJ Does Rokfin allow you to replay archived events like Flo does?

I dropped my subscription before the RTC events started up and was wondering if I'll be able to watch them if I renew.
Yeah it looks like they have all of the rtc matches still up. Some of them are free to watch also

Reactions: Wrassler17
Does anybody know what's going on with Kaid? Read today that he's not traveling with the team this weekend, hope it's nothing too serious.

Does anybody know what's going on with Kaid? Read today that he's not traveling with the team this weekend, hope it's nothing too serious.

John was a little evasive about that on the media day Q&A, said we'll talk more about that situation next week.

He also said we could see 3, maybe 4 freshmen start this weekend. Wonder who the 4th could be, maybe Surber? Or Doucet?

Reactions: DPJ

I think AJ's style matches up well against guys like Warner #5, Woodley etc. Not so sure he can get thru Adams and can't recall Sloan's. Also think AJ will get better against the top 5 guys every time he wrestles them, but limited opportunity for that this year.

Reactions: osu2082 and DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT