ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Line-Up predictions

At 57 kg Angelo Rini was 7th in the EIWA championships and has a 21-10 record.
Ridge Lovett at 61kg was 169-0 in Utah in HS and was 7th in the Big 10 last year and is a career 17-8 at Nebraska.
Bryce Andonian at 65kg was a 2020 NCAA qualifier at Va. Tech and 2020 ACC runner-up. He was 8-3 in duals and was a 2X Ohio state champion.
Cam Picklo is a rs freshman at OU and was a 2X Fargo AA.
Could not find records on Christopher Smith at 92kg.
Hey Obe not sure where you got your info on Ridge Lovett, but he grew up right across the border from me in Idaho. Should be a good test for Young, Ridge is a tough one. It was nice to finally watch some wrestling today, tomorrow should be fun

Hey Obe not sure where you got your info on Ridge Lovett, but he grew up right across the border from me in Idaho. Should be a good test for Young, Ridge is a tough one. It was nice to finally watch some wrestling today, tomorrow should be fun
Yeah, he was too tough for Carter Young as he came back from a 4-3 deficit in the first
period for a tech fall. Young won his first conso by 10-0 tech fall. Witcraft lost in the qtrs. 9-8 and then lost again so he is out. Anthony Ferrari lost12-4 to Andonian and then came back in consos to win 7-3 over Josh Saunders so he is still in. Voinovich lost to Cam Picklo 5-4 but won his next match in consos so he is in. AJ won by tech fall over C. Smith and he is in the semis against Nicholas Wilham. Elam is in the other semi and has wins of s10-0,10-0,8-0. Voinovich's next opponent is Legend Lamer. How do you beat a legend? Carter has Chris Kim for his next opponent.

Weird deal on Young having to be final called to the mat for his Cons 4 match. Ref had actually already raised the hand of Kim before Young showed up.

Yeah, he was too tough for Carter Young as he came back from a 4-3 deficit in the first
period for a tech fall. Young won his first conso by 10-0 tech fall. Witcraft lost in the qtrs. 9-8 and then lost again so he is out. Anthony Ferrari lost12-4 to Andonian and then came back in consos to win 7-3 over Josh Saunders so he is still in. Voinovich lost to Cam Picklo 5-4 but won his next match in consos so he is in. AJ won by tech fall over C. Smith and he is in the semis against Nicholas Wilham. Elam is in the other semi and has wins of s10-0,10-0,8-0. Voinovich's next opponent is Legend Lamer. How do you beat a legend? Carter has Chris Kim for his next opponent.
Voinovich was up 4-1 with 20 seconds left against Picklo and got exposed for 4. He was in control most

Reactions: osu2082
Carter Young vs. Samuel Hillegas for 3rd. Voinovich wrestles Cobe Siebrecht for 7th, Anthony Ferrari by a couple of forfeits wrestles for 3rd against Legend Lamer again and AJ wrestles Rocky Elam for the championship. Good to know about Voinovich being in the lead until the end as I missed that match.

Carter Young vs. Samuel Hillegas for 3rd. Voinovich wrestles Cobe Siebrecht for 7th, Anthony Ferrari by a couple of forfeits wrestles for 3rd against Legend Lamer again and AJ wrestles Rocky Elam for the championship. Good to know about Voinovich being in the lead until the end as I missed that match.
Carter Young finishes 4th. Anthony Ferrari finishes 3rd with a resounding tech fall 11-1 against Legend Lamer who had dec. him earlier. He had 5 takedowns in the first period and dominated.

Reactions: DPJ
Carter Young finishes 4th. Anthony Ferrari finishes 3rd with a resounding tech fall 11-1 against Legend Lamer who had dec. him earlier. He had 5 takedowns in the first period and dominated.
Voinovich took 7th by virtue of forfeit. That leaves AJ Vs. Rocky. Carter Young was in on his opponents legs a lot but Hillegas was too strong and kept taking him over the top with a chest rap for 2 points
each time.

Oberebo, I think it was Andronian who beat Anthony so easily in the quarters. Andronian is very good at freestyle and exposes Anthony several times. Legend beat Voinovich in the consolations. Voinovich was on Legends legs the whole match but did not finish quickly or cleanly and Lamer would threaten to roll him and so Voinovich could not finish. Now Anthony was aggressive and pushes and explodes with his shots and dominated as you said in the Legend match. Voinovich also found a way to lose in the quarters to Picklo. With 20 seconds in the match he gave his arms almost to the shoulder to Picklo and got thrown for 4. He could have just gone to his stomach to give up 2 and won but he didn't. I thought Witcraft was better than both of his opponents that he lost to but same as last year he loses focus and makes pretty big mistakes. He found ways to lose. AJ looks very good but he has an opponent now that is closer to his level and will be a test.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfpoke and DPJ
Oberebo, I think it was Andronian who beat Anthony so easily in the quarters. Andronian is very good at freestyle and exposes Anthony several times. Legend beat Voinovich in the consolations. Voinovich was on Legends legs the whole match but did not finish quickly or cleanly and Lamer would threaten to roll him and so Voinovich could not finish. Now Anthony was aggressive and pushes and explodes with his shots and dominated and you said in the Legend match. Voinovich also found a way to lose in the quarters to Picklo. With 20 seconds in the match he gave his arms almost to the shoulder to Picklo and got thrown for 4. He could have just gone to his stomach to give up 2 and won but he didn't. I thought Witcraft was better than both of his opponents that he lost to but same as last year he loses focus and makes pretty big mistakes. He found ways to lose. AJ looks very good but he has an opponent now that is closer to his level and will be a test.
AJ has 3 takedowns to win 6-1 over Elam!

Reactions: DPJ and osu2082
AJ looked great in dominating a very good wrestler in Elam. The younger Ferrari also with a strong in tournament! VV did pretty good as well.

The future is bright!

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Oberebo, I think it was Andronian who beat Anthony so easily in the quarters. Andronian is very good at freestyle and exposes Anthony several times. Legend beat Voinovich in the consolations. Voinovich was on Legends legs the whole match but did not finish quickly or cleanly and Lamer would threaten to roll him and so Voinovich could not finish. Now Anthony was aggressive and pushes and explodes with his shots and dominated as you said in the Legend match. Voinovich also found a way to lose in the quarters to Picklo. With 20 seconds in the match he gave his arms almost to the shoulder to Picklo and got thrown for 4. He could have just gone to his stomach to give up 2 and won but he didn't. I thought Witcraft was better than both of his opponents that he lost to but same as last year he loses focus and makes pretty big mistakes. He found ways to lose. AJ looks very good but he has an opponent now that is closer to his level and will be a test.
Ferrari won easily over Elam who I think I remember hearing did good at senior Nationals. Ferrari really backed up his tweets this week.

Ferrari won easily over Elam who I think I remember hearing did good at senior Nationals. Ferrari really backed up his tweets this week.
Harley, I tend to agree with you about Witcraft but definitely not giving up on him. He needs to finish matches like he starts them. He does wrestle aggressively for the most part but then gets tentative and loses that aggression. Elam made one shot the entire match and AJ kept up the pace. Elam has beaten some very good wrestlers lately but was no match for AJ.

Harley, I tend to agree with you about Witcraft but definitely not giving up on him. He needs to finish matches like he starts them. He does wrestle aggressively for the most part but then gets tentative and loses that aggression. Elam made one shot the entire match and AJ kept up the pace. Elam has beaten some very good wrestlers lately but was no match for AJ.

Its also FS and the offseason so you have to take that into account when getting to down on a particular performance.

Ferrari is a beast. He is going to be really fun to watch. There are going to be some horses at 197 in the Big 12 next year.

Reactions: osu2082
Surber weighed between 184.1 and 197 for certification.

I agree with Harley that we'll see a lot of the freshmen because of the free year. But I'll guess the postseason lineup is...

125: Mastro
133: Fix
141: Brock
149: Lewallen
157: Sheets
165: Wittlake
174: Plott
184: Montalvo
197: Geer
285: Streck
Streck is here and good to go?

Reactions: driad
I saw where Josh Heindselman won the Heavyweight division. I assume he is at OU. I knew of him, but never considered him to be an elite recruit.

I saw where Josh Heindselman won the Heavyweight division. I assume he is at OU. I knew of him, but never considered him to be an elite recruit.

Heindselman lost to Derek White on criteria last month. Was surprised it was so close.

How about this one. Last spring we were recruiting Devin Gomez -- he ended up signing with Wyoming in May. He won state in KS @ 152 in February. This past weekend he wrestled 86 kg. With the +2 kg, that was 194 lbs (plus day before weigh-ins).

Devin Gomez is growing. Heindselman is going to be tough. Guess he may be a marginal recruit that turns into a great wrestler.

Nice article from last March. We had a lot of discussions about Travis previously. This goes into that a little bit and talks about his improvement.

Ferrari is a beast. He is going to be really fun to watch. There are going to be some horses at 197 in the Big 12 next year.
Agree. The big 12 is loaded at 197lbs. I know Sloan beat Adams by one but Adams is still the best athlete out of all the 197s until you count Ferrari. Things are gonna be interesting.....if they have a season.

Where do people think Surber ends up going?

He wrestled 152 at Folkstyle Nationals in April 2019 and then was up to 182 about 9 months later. Weighed between 184.1 - 197 for certification, so it would seem like 184. But maybe he continues to put on weight and competes for the spot at heavy? I'd say he's at least as tall as Harris & Austin Schafer.

Where do people think Surber ends up going?

He wrestled 152 at Folkstyle Nationals in April 2019 and then was up to 182 about 9 months later. Weighed between 184.1 - 197 for certification, so it would seem like 184. But maybe he continues to put on weight and competes for the spot at heavy? I'd say he's at least as tall as Harris & Austin Schafer.

It will be very interesting to watch. We have a guy who if healthy is a 4-5 year starter at 197 and then Taco at 184 for the next 3-4 years.

I think of the two it would seem competition at 184 would make the most sense but as you mention he has a big frame and could be a candidate for the next Cowboy bulk job. That could become more realistic if there are serious doubts about Haas making it to campus in the future.

Another guy that I think may make some noise is Daniel Jezik @ 174 or 184. Excellent athlete that hopefully makes big strides focusing on wrestling now.

Another guy that I think may make some noise is Daniel Jezik @ 174 or 184. Excellent athlete that hopefully makes big strides focusing on wrestling now.

I think he has some raw potential. Will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years. Really athletic kid.

197 may have gotten even tougher in the Big12. Iowa St adds Cuban Yonger Bastida, a junior world silver medalist. Projects as 197 or 285.

197 may have gotten even tougher in the Big12. Iowa St adds Cuban Yonger Bastida, a junior world silver medalist. Projects as 197 or 285.
He has wins over Gadson,Zillmer,Cabell and Woodley in freetyle.Will take sometime to get used to folkstyle but will have plenty of time.He will be a true freshman and is 21

He has wins over Gadson,Zillmer,Cabell and Woodley in freetyle.Will take sometime to get used to folkstyle but will have plenty of time.He will be a true freshman and is 21

Will be interesting to see if he can hold 197 for long or if he will bump you to HWY.

Will be interesting to see if he can hold 197 for long or if he will bump you to HWY.
My thought as well being a 97kg 213lb just not sure he can get big enough for HWT and still make 213.To me he wouldve to be 240 to be competitive with the landscape at HWT

My thought as well being a 97kg 213lb just not sure he can get big enough for HWT and still make 213.To me he wouldve to be 240 to be competitive with the landscape at HWT

The flip side is if he is already cutting Good weight to get to 213 that’s a big ask to cut another 15 pounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT