ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Line-Up predictions

Dugan2035

Redshirt
Aug 5, 2019
125-Whitcraft , Burks 133-Fix,Mastrogiovanni 141-Brock,Hone 149-Lewallan,Gfeller. 157-Sheets, McLane. 165- Wittlake. 174-Plott,Montalvo. 184-Surber,Geer 197-Ferrari HWT-Doucet

I like this lineup. Whitcraft at 125 seems like a stretch. If Surber over Geer would surprise me (but I have zero inside info).

Surber weighed between 184.1 and 197 for certification.

I agree with Harley that we'll see a lot of the freshmen because of the free year. But I'll guess the postseason lineup is...

125: Mastro
133: Fix
141: Brock
149: Lewallen
157: Sheets
165: Wittlake
174: Plott
184: Montalvo
197: Geer
285: Streck

Reactions: _poker_

I agree with Harley that we'll see a lot of the freshmen because of the free year. But I'll guess the postseason lineup is...

125: Mastro
141: Brock
174: Plott
184: Montalvo
197: Geer
285: Streck

Still think we might see Daton at 125.

Could be. I believe the Olympic Trials are 3 weeks after Nationals, which should give him adequate time to cut down from 133 (like 2019) if he elected to go that way.

After watching Luke Pletcher's success this year, what do you guys think about Daton going up starting in 2022? How would he do collegiately at 141 and internationally at 61 kg? He could add some size and not worry about weight cutting. Would look something like this...

2021 (RSSo): 125 or 133 then 57 kg for the Olympics
2022 (RSJr): 141 then 61 kg for Worlds
2023 (RSSr): 141 then 61 kg for Worlds
2024 (post grad): cut down to 57 kg for Olympics

This assumes that Daton & Kaid don't take the extra year. It also gets Burks in the lineup @ 125 and Mastro/Witcraft in the lineup @ 133.

Could be. I believe the Olympic Trials are 3 weeks after Nationals, which should give him adequate time to cut down from 133 (like 2019) if he elected to go that way.

After watching Luke Pletcher's success this year, what do you guys think about Daton going up starting in 2022? How would he do collegiately at 141 and internationally at 61 kg? He could add some size and not worry about weight cutting. Would look something like this...

2021 (RSSo): 125 or 133 then 57 kg for the Olympics
2022 (RSJr): 141 then 61 kg for Worlds
2023 (RSSr): 141 then 61 kg for Worlds
2024 (post grad): cut down to 57 kg for Olympics

This assumes that Daton & Kaid don't take the extra year. It also gets Burks in the lineup @ 125 and Mastro/Witcraft in the lineup @ 133.

Datons main goal in life is to be an Olympic Gold medalists so I think he will stay at 57kg as long as he can.

Seth has an article on Flo, John announced the expected lineup.

125: Mastro, Burks or Witcraft
141: Brock or Hone
174: Plott or Montalvo
184: Montalvo (if he doesn't win the spot @ 174) or Geer
197: Ferrari
285: Harris

Some surprises (for me anyway)...Harper & Manibog mentioned as backups @ 157, but not McLane (would've thought he was ahead of them). And Harris ahead of Doucet @ heavy.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER

Its going to be a short season so guys are going to need matches going into the post season thus I'm betting we see the best wrestlers regardless of whether freshman or other.

Reactions: osu2082
Its going to be a short season so guys are going to need matches going into the post season thus I'm betting we see the best wrestlers regardless of whether freshman or other.
Not a lot of matches this year. So it surprised me we didn't have any entrants as of this morning with Juniors and under 23 coming up this weekend. Victor Voinovich and Anthony Ferrari are entered at 65 at juniors.

According to Flo, Cooper Birdwell, Haas, & both Ferrari brothers are wrestling at the NHSCA duals this weekend.

Reactions: osu2082
Not a lot of matches this year. So it surprised me we didn't have any entrants as of this morning with Juniors and under 23 coming up this weekend. Victor Voinovich and Anthony Ferrari are entered at 65 at juniors.

Coach said we would see 8-12 wrestlers at Juniors and U23’s.

The NCAA tournament field could also be smaller so matches will be critical.

According to Flo, Cooper Birdwell, Haas, & both Ferrari brothers are wrestling at the NHSCA duals this weekend.
Anthony Ferrari is 3-1 right now. He got overly aggressive in the first minute of the match an got pinned by a guy that he should be 9 of 10 times. (Dakota Morris) I did not see Kyle haas or Angelo Ferrari there. I did see Teague Travis wrestle at elite 8 duals an looked pretty good. On another note Cody chittum bumped up from 138 and beat Carl Valencia at 160 4-2

Anthony Ferrari is 3-1 right now. He got overly aggressive in the first minute of the match an got pinned by a guy that he should be 9 of 10 times. (Dakota Morris) I did not see Kyle haas or Angelo Ferrari there. I did see Teague Travis wrestle at elite 8 duals an looked pretty good. On another note Cody chittum bumped up from 138 and beat Carl Valencia at 160 4-2

Didn't know about the Elite 8 Duals. Checking out FloArena, it looks like a few OK guys were there, including Jordan Williams who was undefeated.

Cooper Birdwell was also at the NHSCA duals. Don't think he hit any ranked guys, but he won all his matches convincingly. During the summer he beat the #7 guy @ 132.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Yes Angelo and Kyle didn't wrestle but I don't know the reason. Anthony has wrestled a bunch lately and he is a very good prospect. However those that say him and his little brother are better or have more talent than AJ at this stage of their careers I believe are wrong. I remember AJ wrestled Montalvo when he was a sophomore and Montalvo was a senior and beat him fairly soundly. Montalvo is pretty good himself. When John says AJ will wrestle 97 I assume that means in practice he has demonstrated he is better than Dakota Geer.

Last edited:
The Flo guys discussed the expected lineup. I'm not sure how connected they are to our program, but they mentioned that Plott has been doing excellent in the room and Mastro has looked good too.

Also, Juniors & U23 are plus 2 kgs.

The Flo guys discussed the expected lineup. I'm not sure how connected they are to our program, but they mentioned that Plott has been doing excellent in the room and Mastro has looked good too.

I think most of their intel came from Seth and media day which Coach Smith was very candid in his lineup predictions. Some excerpts from Seths report...

Daton is going 133 when he comes back in February.

Said the locked in starters are 149-Boo, 157-Wyatt, 165-Wittlake, and 174-HWT are wide open.

125 Mastro, Burks, or Witcraft. One will start at 133 until Fix is back.

141 Brock or Hone

149 Boo with G backing him up.

174 Dustin Plott is likely. Taco might cut and wrestle for the spot.

184 Geer or Taco

197 Ferrari

HWT-Probably Harris. No mention of Streck.

Not unexpected but Plott and AJ are going to be awesome if they've already forced either Taco and Geer to fight it out a weight.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
I think most of their intel came from Seth and media day which Coach Smith was very candid in his lineup predictions. Some excerpts from Seths report...

Daton is going 133 when he comes back in February.

Said the locked in starters are 149-Boo, 157-Wyatt, 165-Wittlake, and 174-HWT are wide open.

125 Mastro, Burks, or Witcraft. One will start at 133 until Fix is back.

141 Brock or Hone

149 Boo with G backing him up.

174 Dustin Plott is likely. Taco might cut and wrestle for the spot.

184 Geer or Taco

197 Ferrari

HWT-Probably Harris. No mention of Streck.

I posted about Seth's article and the expected lineup up above. The new part was about how good Plott & Mastro look in the room. That info might be coming from Seth too, but it wasn't mentioned in his article. I've heard Pyles say twice now that "Plott is killing it in the room".

I posted about Seth's article and the expected lineup up above. The new part was about how good Plott & Mastro look in the room. That info might be coming from Seth too, but it wasn't mentioned in his article. I've heard Pyles say twice now that "Plott is killing it in the room".

Sorry didn’t go back and read! Yea I heard Mastro and Plott have both been VERY good.

The free year makes it easier to roll with FR but with the possibility of a smaller national tournament lineup flopping will be risky. Might need to pick a guy and really stick with them.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Sorry didn’t go back and read! Yea I heard Mastro and Plott have both been VERY good.

The free year makes it easier to roll with FR but with the possibility of a smaller national tournament lineup flopping will be risky. Might need to pick a guy and really stick with them.
Some Cowboys have registered for juniors 92 kg. AJ Ferrari, 86 kg Luke Surber, 57 kg Reece Witcraft. I know in the interview of Coach Smith he thought 8 to 12 wrestlers were going, so I hope they will have more wrestlers registering in the next couple of days. I really look forward to seeing AJ wrestle again and Reece at 57 will be interesting also.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Saw a few more have registered. Juniors - Konner Doucet @ 125 kg. U23s - Conner Webb @ 97 kg and Shawn Streck @ 125 kg. Streck is registered under the Cowboy RTC.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Saw a few more have registered. Juniors - Konner Doucet @ 125 kg. U23s - Conner Webb @ 97 kg and Shawn Streck @ 125 kg. Streck is registered under the Cowboy RTC.

If he is still around surely there is a chance he makes his way on the team at some point (you would think).

I do not understand only 4 or 5 of our wrestlers at the Juniors and U23's. The tournaments are full of Hawkeyes, Cyclones and Jackrabbits. Most of our wrestlers haven't wrestled for about 9 months except in the wrestling room from August until now. You would think they would itching for competition. Oh well.

I do not understand only 4 or 5 of our wrestlers at the Juniors and U23's. The tournaments are full of Hawkeyes, Cyclones and Jackrabbits. Most of our wrestlers haven't wrestled for about 9 months except in the wrestling room from August until now. You would think they would itching for competition. Oh well.

I'm sure there is a good reason but with the way things are looking I would get on the mat any chance I could. Live competition might be dicey going forward the way things are looking.

You are aware of this coronavirus thing? Maybe the coach and athletic department want to minimize the risk of bringing it into the team and campus and blowing up the season?

You are aware of this coronavirus thing? Maybe the coach and athletic department want to minimize the risk of bringing it into the team and campus and blowing up the season?
Yes, I think that I have heard something about coronavirus but I did not happen to know a bunch of wrestlers came up positive for Covid as 2082 indicated above. This would explain not taking 8 to 12 wrestlers as Coach Smith indicated was going to happen earlier this week.

The "Herd Immunity" goes against what Coach Smith told the Perry City Council earlier. It sounds like the wrestlers just missed on precautions. I know that young people are not effected like us older folks, but messing with the lungs of a wrestler seems pretty dicey.

The "Herd Immunity" goes against what Coach Smith told the Perry City Council earlier. It sounds like the wrestlers just missed on precautions. I know that young people are not effected like us older folks, but messing with the lungs of a wrestler seems pretty dicey.
Brackets are out and the big disappointment for me is that Streck is a no show at125. Maybe he was bit by the covid. Witcraft, Ferrari, voinovich and AJ Ferrari are entered.

Brackets are out and the big disappointment for me is that Streck is a no show at125. Maybe he was bit by the covid. Witcraft, Ferrari, voinovich and AJ Ferrari are entered.

Covid prevented all but Witcraft and AJ from going.

Looks like Witcraft won his first match 10-0 and his second match 12-2. Nico Provo from Cornell next.
A. Ferrari has won both his matches by tech fall at 65kg as has Witcraft at 57kg. Carter Young from Stillwater has won both his matches at 61kg by tech fall and Voinovich won his match at 65kg by tech fall. AJ Ferrari has yet to wrestle at 92kg due to lower amount of wrestlers at that weight. Voinovich with a quick tf 10-0 over C. Sheets Mustang.

Last edited:
A. Ferrari has won both his matches by tech fall at 65kg as has Witcraft at 57kg. Carter Young from Stillwater has won both his matches at 61kg by tech fall and Voinovich won his match at 65kg by tech fall. AJ Ferrari has yet to wrestle at 92kg due to lower amount of wrestlers at that weight. Voinovich with a quick tf 10-0 over C. Sheets Mustang.
Witcraft, Voinovich, Anthony Ferrari, and AJ are all in the quarter finals and each won by tech fall in the round of 16.

Reactions: DPJ
Witcraft, Voinovich, Anthony Ferrari, and AJ are all in the quarter finals and each won by tech fall in the round of 16.
Carter Young also won in the round of 16 8-0 at 61kg. Quarter final opponents are:
57 kg Reece Witcraft v. Angelo Rini NY wrestling club
61 kg Carter Young vs. Ridge Lovett nebraska wrestling center
65kg Anthony Ferrari vs. Bryce Andonian SE wrestling
92kg AJ Ferrari vs. C. Smith SE wrestling.
65kg V. Voinovich vs. Cam Picklo unattached.

Carter Young also won in the round of 16 8-0 at 61kg. Quarter final opponents are:
57 kg Reece Witcraft v. Angelo Rini NY wrestling club
61 kg Carter Young vs. Ridge Lovett nebraska wrestling center
65kg Anthony Ferrari vs. Bryce Andonian SE wrestling
92kg AJ Ferrari vs. C. Smith SE wrestling.
65kg V. Voinovich vs. Cam Picklo unattached.
At 57 kg Angelo Rini was 7th in the EIWA championships and has a 21-10 record.
Ridge Lovett at 61kg was 169-0 in Utah in HS and was 7th in the Big 10 last year and is a career 17-8 at Nebraska.
Bryce Andonian at 65kg was a 2020 NCAA qualifier at Va. Tech and 2020 ACC runner-up. He was 8-3 in duals and was a 2X Ohio state champion.
Cam Picklo is a rs freshman at OU and was a 2X Fargo AA.
Could not find records on Christopher Smith at 92kg.

Reactions: DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT