ADVERTISEMENT

2020 AA's

Old Number Nine

Starter
Jan 20, 2005
http://www.nwcaonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/D1-First-Team-AA.pdf

Does anyone know if this list of AA's will be used when considering historic Wrestling records as in; Number of Championships and AA's for schools and individuals? What do you think of the Rankings?

4th Lewallen - 2 for 2 AA?
7th Piccininni - 4 time AA?
8th Wittlake - 1 for 1 AA?

I made a spread sheet from it using simply 16,12,10,9,7,6,4,3 scoring which puts us tied for 16th with 16 points from the 3 AA's we where given; . (Sorry, I don't know how to add a SS, let me know how and I'll update)

Place Institution Score AAs
1 Iowa; 79 pts, 9 AAs, 1Champ
2 Penn St; 66 pts, 5 AAs, 2-Champs
3 Iowa St; 39 pts, 3 AAs, 2-Champs
4 Princeton; 38 pts, 4 AAs
5 Purdue; 33 pts, 4 AAs
6 N.Western; 30 pts, 3 AAs, 1-Champ
7 V.Tech; 25 pts, 2 AAs, 1-Champ
8 Wisconsin; 23 pts, 3 AAs
9 Ariz St; 22 pts, 3 AAs
9 Lehigh; 22 pts, 3 AAs
9 Ohio St; 22 pts, 4 AAs
12 Minnesota; 20 pts, 3 AAs
13 Stanford; 19 pts, 2 AAs, 1-Champ
13 Virginia; 19 pts, 2 AAs
15 Nebraska; 17 pts, 4 AAs
16 Oklahoma; 16 pts, 1 AA, 1-Champ
16 W.Virg; 16 pts, 1 AA, 1-Champ
16 C.Mich; 16 pts, 2 AAs
16 Campbell; 16 pts, 2 AAs
16 Okla St; 16 pts, 3 AAs
21 NC.State; 14 pts, 2 AAs
22 Wyoming; 12 pts, 1 AA
23 Mich St; 10 pts, 1 AA
23 Cornell; 10 pts, 2 AAs
23 N.Iowa; 10 pts, 2 AAs
23 Pittsburgh; 10 pts, 2 AAs
27 Binghamton; 9 pts, 1 AA
27 Rider; 9 pts, 1 AA
27 Utah Val; 9 pts, 1 AA
30 Michigan; 7 pts, 1 AA
31 Illinois; 6 pts, 1 AA
31 Missouri; 6 pts, 1 AA
33 N.Car; 4 pts, 1 AA

The placings you have are in alphabetical order. They just picked the top 8 and arranged them alphabetically.

I think pic got a tough draw his 2nd year and did not AA. I’m not sure though.

Pic drew Lee in the quarters and in the blood round got Lizak from Minnesota. Pic never had an answer to Lizak's leg ride and just could not escape and got turned. Very rough draw for Pic as he was more than capable of beating other AA's that year. Pic beat several wrestlers that Lizak lost to, but the matchup was bad.

Reactions: BigD_cowboy
Pic drew Lee in the quarters and in the blood round got Lizak from Minnesota. Pic never had an answer to Lizak's leg ride and just could not escape and got turned. Very rough draw for Pic as he was more than capable of beating other AA's that year. Pic beat several wrestlers that Lizak lost to, but the matchup was bad.
But he did not get a "bad draw" he was going to have to face a top 4 guy in the quarters and Lizak should've been a good draw for him. He dominated Lizak in the first part of the dual match. When he went bottom looked like he was attempting to roll thru the first turn attempt but it didn't work. After that he could've just gutted out the win and avoid any more turns, believe lost by 1. But he should've learned exactly how to wrestle Lizak & what to avoid, thus a good draw given all the points he scored on him. Who did Pic beat in NCAA, how many points did he score and how many against Lizak, he wrestled like someone who didn't want to be there anymore in that match. I bet if you asked Pic he'd say didn't wrestle well & had nothing to do with the draw. He learned from it.

Has Pic ever beaten Lizak? I know he got multiple takedowns against him. I think the margin of error against Lizak is so slim. He certainly was capable of beating Lizak, but that dude could ride Pic. Not saying ionel is wrong, but I did not like it when I saw Pic had to wrestle him.

No, I don't think Picc ever beat Lizak. Nick didn't wrestle particularly great that NCAAs and he didn't get it done, but Lizak was a bad matchup for him, no doubt. He just never figured out that "back pack" ride.

Another factor - Lizak was a different wrestler in tourneys vs duals @125 because of the weigh in recovery time. Drew Martin from Michigan beat Lizak in the dual that year, but got majored both times they met in a tourney. NATO tech'd Lizak in the dual, but only won a close decision at Big10s and then in SV at NCAAs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT