ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Junior Duals

Oklahoma went 5-0 on day one of freestyle. We have a good shot at being in the finals vs Illinois.

An interesting for Cowboys match was at 160 where Surber beats Manibog 10 to 0.
Another big matchup that I recognized was at 182 Oklahoma against New Jersey where Plott teched Chris Foca who is rated the 21 wrestler in the 2019 big board for Flo. 17 to 7.

Whitcraft gets pinned by Minnesota kid
DeArmand won by pin in the final match to win it for Oklahoma and they advance to the finals against Illinois. Could be a super matchup between Plott and Assad who is going to Iowa and is rated 24 on the 2019 big board. Against Minnesota, Plott teched Glacier who is also committed to Iowa. Also in a big match Doucette lost to Ethan Hatcher of Ohio 6 to 4 at 220 and Hatcher has wrestled most of his matches at 195 and is rated 54th on the 2020 board. Carter Young seems to be having a very good offseason and I think he has won all his matches at these duals.

Last edited:
DeArmand won by pin in the final match to win it for Oklahoma and they advance top the finals against Illinois. Could be a super matchup between Plott and Assad who is going to Iowa and is rated 24 on the 2019 big board. Against Minnesota, Plott teched Glacier who is also committed to Iowa. Also in a big match Doucette lost to Ethan Hatcher of Ohio 6 to 4 at 220 and Hatcher has wrestled most of his matches at 195 and is rated 54th on the 2020 board. Carter Young seems to be having a very good offseason and I think he has won all his matches at these duals.
I just saw where Plott beat Assad 4 to 2. Very good win.

Oklahoma beat Illinois to take first. Surber clinched it with a 10-0 tech in the final match.
Back from Tulsa and 2 days of Junior duals. Both the semis and finals were close and exciting. In the finals we would not have won if Luke Surber did not have a tech and give up no points. Abe Assad gave Dustin Plott a real battle and it was a nail biter the whole way. Dustin looked very good in all of his matches except for Assad where he could not penetrate with his best shot due to Assad's defense. Carter Young looked very good at 126. Konner Doucet was 5-1 and lost to the wrestler from Ohio who has committed to Cornell. We would not have been in the finals if not for the quick fall by Brandon DeArmon at 152 which brought the crowd (including Mom and Grandmom) to their feet. A lot of parents there for support including DeArmon,Surber,Plott, Doucett and all were very gracious to two old farts, Mr. Earl and Oberebo. Look for a signing soon. On another note, Nevan Snodgrass from Ohio had all tech falls at 170 and gave up no points. He had a very good tournament. Says he will wrestle 165 in College. He is a Junior going into his senior year and has not committed. He teched Gage Hockett in our match. Mr. Earl and I had a great time at the tournament. BTW Snodgrass lost to Kharchla 3-1 recently so he is the real deal.

Back from Tulsa and 2 days of Junior duals. Both the semis and finals were close and exciting. In the finals we would not have won if Luke Surber did not have a tech and give up no points. Abe Assad gave Dustin Plott a real battle and it was a nail biter the whole way. Dustin looked very good in all of his matches except for Assad where he could not penetrate with his best shot due to Assad's defense. Carter Young looked very good at 126. Konner Doucet was 5-1 and lost to the wrestler from Ohio who has committed to Cornell. We would not have been in the finals if not for the quick fall by Brandon DeArmon at 152 which brought the crowd (including Mom and Grandmom) to their feet. A lot of parents there for support including DeArmon,Surber,Plott, Doucett and all were very gracious to two old farts, Mr. Earl and Oberebo. Look for a signing soon. On another note, Nevan Snodgrass from Ohio had all tech falls at 170 and gave up no points. He had a very good tournament. Says he will wrestle 165 in College. He is a Junior going into his senior year and has not committed. He teched Gage Hockett in our match. Mr. Earl and I had a great time at the tournament. BTW Snodgrass lost to Kharchla 3-1 recently so he is the real deal.
Great report

Reactions: Rdcldad and oberebo
Congrats to you guys on a tough win over us Illinois guys. We made a few small mistakes in an about 4 different matches and you guys did not. That was the difference (although some would say officiating had a bit to do with it). You guys had a tough team and they wrestled tough and smart. Deserving championship for you guys. Enjoy it.

Congrats to you guys on a tough win over us Illinois guys. We made a few small mistakes in an about 4 different matches and you guys did not. That was the difference (although some would say officiating had a bit to do with it). You guys had a tough team and they wrestled tough and smart. Deserving championship for you guys. Enjoy it.

Two really tough teams. I love this event.

Reactions: lookleft goright
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT